Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Brother Coyote's Battles in the 40th Millenia

+2
Rivan
Coyote
6 posters

Go down

Brother Coyote's Battles in the 40th Millenia Empty Brother Coyote's Battles in the 40th Millenia

Post by Coyote Thu Sep 10, 2009 3:21 pm

9/10/09

This morning I did battle in the 40th millenia....

I thought I'd see wave serpants
I thought I'd see aspect warriors
I thought I was going to fight Eldar
Brothers.... I thought wrong

Backtrack to this morning:
My friend and I agreed to play a 1500 point game.

I decided to do something totally off the wall so I built this:
BC&7GKT's w/ incinerator
8 FAPAGK's w/ incinerator X3
7 IST's w/ melta gun, plasma gun, & Chimera w/EA,SL,Multi Laser, & Hull Heavy Flamer
6 IST's w/ melta gun, plasma gun, & Rhino w/EA&SL

My plan was to leave everthing in reserve and deep strike with all 4 GK units. I haven't done much with deep strike so I thought at the very least it would be fun.
I anticipated that he would show up with some fast moving skimmers, fire dragons, aspect warriors, and maybe an avatar.
Anyways he showed up and we immediately began setting up the board, determining the mission, and deployment zones.
The mission was capture and control (d3+2) objectives. I rolled a five so there were 5 objectives.
Deployment type was table quarters (spear head I think)
I won the roll but deffered to him. At this point he still had no idea what my plans were b/c I've never played like this before.
When it came time for him to deploy he simply said "Let me go grab my army." and I knew something was up cause he keeps his stuff at my house.
SO BASICALLY HE BOUGHT, ASSEMBLED, AND PAINTED AN ENTIRE ULTRAMARINE ARMY IN SECRECY.
It definitely through me for a loop, but the great thing about GK's is that your build really doesn't change that much regardless of the army you're facing.
So he deployed:
5 sm scouts
5 TH/SS termies & chaplain in a LRC
Predator
5 sm's in a razorback
5 sm's w/missle launcher
In reserve he had:
Lysander and 5 termies
land speeder w/multi melta

Both reserve units were to be deep struck

Now it was his turn to be surprised. During my deployment I declared that everything was going to be held in reserve and if it wasn't a troop choice that it would be deep striking

The Highlights:
I basically chose to assault his troops and ignore everything else. There were several occasions where he charged me with termies and I chose to allocate my attacks to his troops instead.
This ended up working pretty well. By the end of turn 6 I had lost 2 of my FAPAGK squads, but he was down to one troop choice. I never even shot at the LRC and didn't kill a single terminator(didn't really try). I went into this game thinking I was going to lose my @$$ out b/c of dsing. In the end the deep striking wasn't too bad. On turn 2 my GKT's shifted onto his troops and I rolled a 4 on the mishap chart. My friend put them all the way on the other end of the board and I spent the rest of the game trying to put them back in the fight to no avail (I'll be sure to return the favor). I also lost 2 FAPAGK's (models not squads) because I landed in dangerous terrain, but the squad ended up knocking out his scouts so that wasn't too bad. Other than that my deep strikes went pretty well. On turn 5 he mananged to knock out one of my IST squads (FYI: TH/SS termies / chaplain vs IST's is barely even a speed bump Rolling Eyes )

I learned:
Deep Striking isn't so horrible and definitely fun
It really messes with your opponent b/c he doesn't know where you're going to come from
Not everything will come out at once. This could be really bad if you're not careful. Bad placement will allow a deep struck unit to get shot the f up.
There is a certain advantage to making your opponent sit for a turn cause there's nobody on the board. If I had given him another turn to shoot/charge at me by deploying traditionally then the game might have been very lop sided. Since he didn't know where I was coming from every turn, he couldn't really formulate a plan like he normally would have. I see myself holding a lot more stuff in reserve in the future even if I'm not deepstriking it.

End results:
Each side held one objective - So we called it a tie
If you were going to go by KP's then I'd have eaked out the victory
He knocked out 2 FAPAGK squads, 1 IST squad, and a chimera
I managed to take out 2 sm squads, 1 scout squad, the razorback, and the land speeder

Not too shabby for a build I thought would lose badly against an army I didn't know was coming (Did I mention it was the first time I've played against SM's since 3rd ed?) cheers

Thanks for taking the time to read and I hope it helps you in some way cheers
Coyote
Coyote
Grey Knight
Grey Knight

Number of posts : 316
Location : Secret lair located underneath a volcano on a remote tropical island somewhere in the Pacific
Army : GK/IG
Registration date : 2008-11-22

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Brother Coyote's Battles in the 40th Millenia Empty Re: Brother Coyote's Battles in the 40th Millenia

Post by Rivan Thu Sep 10, 2009 6:32 pm

Not bad at all Very Happy Great game Brother Coyote! I can imagine the puzzled look on your opponent's face when there was nothing on the board for you at the start of the game LOL
Rivan
Rivan
Adeptus Moderatus
Adeptus Moderatus

Number of posts : 4404
Army : Grey Knights 7th Brotherhood, Salamanders
Registration date : 2009-03-05

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Brother Coyote's Battles in the 40th Millenia Empty Re: Brother Coyote's Battles in the 40th Millenia

Post by Nausaden Thu Sep 10, 2009 9:25 pm

Great game indeed! I can just see your knights deep striking in, bolter shots and explosions going off in every direction while they triumphantly charged across the field!

Glad to hear that you did so well; that did look like a nasty curve ball O_O
Nausaden
Nausaden
Terminator
Terminator

Number of posts : 1085
Army : Pure Grey Knights *Daemon Hunters*
Registration date : 2009-08-03

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by NemesisForce Thu Sep 10, 2009 9:40 pm

Sounded like fun. Every once in awhile it's good to have a let loose game and do out of the normal stuff. Um, I should try it some time.
NemesisForce
NemesisForce
Inquisitor
Inquisitor

Number of posts : 1945
Army : Grey Knight, Black Templar, Chaos Space Marine, Tau Empire
Registration date : 2008-02-07

Back to top Go down

Post by MJSwasey Thu Sep 10, 2009 11:55 pm

Yeah- I find i can spend so much time agonizing over making the perfect list, gettin every point right, making sure the averages kill what i'll need to kill - But the best games, those that are most fun AND those that you improve drastically from- are those you don't expect to win, but you take something new or try something totally different.

I really enjoyed the Batrep! good job tying those marines with just IST troop choices!

MJSwasey
Justicar
Justicar

Number of posts : 927
Registration date : 2009-08-08

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Coyote Fri Sep 11, 2009 3:30 pm

Thanks everyone. There was one thing I wanted to mention that my buddy did which was pretty smart. When he couldn't tell where I was going to be coming from he backed the predator and razor back up to each other so that the armor 10's could not be seen(shot at). It might be a common tactic elsewhere, but I hadn't seen it here until this game and I will definitely be adopting it if I can. Smile
Coyote
Coyote
Grey Knight
Grey Knight

Number of posts : 316
Location : Secret lair located underneath a volcano on a remote tropical island somewhere in the Pacific
Army : GK/IG
Registration date : 2008-11-22

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Zealadin Sat Sep 12, 2009 6:20 am

Nice Batrep!
Very interesting strategy too, might just work agianst shooting, but not assaults.
Zealadin
Zealadin
Grand Master
Grand Master

Number of posts : 3279
Army : Retired Eldar, Puritan Grey Knights, Dark Eldar
Registration date : 2008-09-14

Grey knight
stats:

http://kael-din.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down