Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

DH 1500 Pt. Competitive list

+2
Rivan
Ceasarian
6 posters

Go down

DH 1500 Pt. Competitive list Empty DH 1500 Pt. Competitive list

Post by Ceasarian Fri Jun 26, 2009 10:33 pm

Good day,
I wanted to post my WIP army list for 1500 points, as well as pictures of each of the units in the army. The list, and well the army itself are still very much works in progress, and I would love to hear back on any feedback, concerning either the list or the paint job that I have given my army thus far.
First off an overall shot of what is done in the DH army thus far. I still have another Land Raider, and two PAGK's to finish up with however.
DH 1500 Pt. Competitive list 000_0001-1
For the army itself, as you can already tell will include two land raiders, and a chimera. I was on the fence about taking the third land raider- as this would accomplish two things I believed. A third raider would only leave me with 750 pts for two troops, and an HQ- and I felt that a third troop choice is almost necessary in taking objectives in the 5th edition. Secondly, the other issue with taking the three raiders was that I felt it was a little uneven, unless the opponent was specifically tooling their list to take on heavy armor, where then the use of three raiders became a hindrance.- hence why I wanted a bit more a happy medium(although I can see taking three raiders in a tourny setting).
And now the list-
Head Quarters-
Grey Knight Grand Master- with Icon of the Just
3x Grey Knight Terminators- One is armed with a PsyCannon
338pts for the Head Quarters Cost
DH 1500 Pt. Competitive list 000_0005
My strategy for using these guys was to Deepstrike every time where there is enough open space to allow for a “sensible gamble”, and get this unit into close combat quickly- preferably against heavier enemy infantry. The PsyCannon allows for the unit to hunt lighter tanks, and some of the medium infantry options on the table. If I cannot deep strike, or feel the risk is a to great- I can have this unit support the Land Raiders, with dealing with charging monstrous creatures, or use them to screen and assault tank busting units if they get to close- I was really trying to stress a multi-role aspect to the HQ unit.
Troops-
Troop Selection 1-
Grey Knight Squad One
GK Justicar with frag grenades and targeter
7x Grey Knights
DH 1500 Pt. Competitive list 000_0002
Troop Selection 2-
Grey Knight Squad Two
GK Justicar with frag grenades
7x Grey Knights- One is armed with an Incinerator
DH 1500 Pt. Competitive list 000_0003-1
Troop Selection 3-
IST Squad
7x Storm Troopers, two are upgraded to have Plasma guns
Transport Option- Chimera Tank- armed with a multi-laser, a heavy bolter, and smoke launchers.
DH 1500 Pt. Competitive list 000_0006-1
646pts for the Troops Cost
The first squad (the pure Storm bolter group) of course rides in the land raider, but with their targeted if I end up taking them out of the tank for whatever reason- I can make sure of those critical distances before shooting a specific unit, and the advent of frag grenades allows me to strike at Initiative value when going into terrain- a useful item I believed since each PAGK costs to much to lose to a lucky shot by a fire warrior when assaulting into cover.
The second squad, going along with the same concept of the first squad- with riding within the Land Raider, and having grenades. However instead of a targeted, they have an incinerator- so this group a little bit more tooled up to dealing with enemy infantry within cover, as well as hordes a bit better than the first squad.
The third squad, the IST’s. I made the decision to take this squad because of their well, expendability. I could use the larger frame of the chimera to obscure my land raiders from incoming fire- armor 10 won’t hold up all to well I can imagine- hence why the tank’s named “Faith”.
More cunningly however in a Dawn of War game- going second I could place the chimera tank directly in front of let’s say a Tau Player’s first unit, and pop smoke. The more ranged player will probably end up placing everything on the other side of the table- thinking that I am going to deploy everything else with the chimera tank- but instead using the IST as a bluff, to negate that player’s strength- this where I like to think the unit really shines- not in being a great unit (read my 500 pt battle report for the amazing abilities of plasma guns) but in really messing with the opponent’s deployment (can also be switched to deal with close combat heavy armies).
Also in all of the previous games I have played the enemy player has always shot at the IST’s sometimes with everything they’ve got. Those two plasma guns- with rapid fire at 12’ for what ever reason seem to really concern an enemy player.- a good fire magnet- to keep away from my LR’s and GK’s.
Heavy Support-
Land Raider with smoke launchers, and extra armor. *
DH 1500 Pt. Competitive list 000_0008-1
I called this Land Raider "Reason" playing off the joke of the name "Faith" for the IST group- still brainstorming on the second raider's name.
*You can see that I have a storm bolter on the top of the raider- this actually isn’t used in game, but I needed an effective way to tell the two raiders apart, and more importantly for the opponent to tell the two apart- so there can be no arguments about which squad is actually within a specific raider.*
Land Raider with smoke launchers, and extra armor.
-No pic yet- under construction (that means it’s still sealed in a box)
516 pts for the heavy support choice.
Main idea with these two tanks was the maneuver to one section of the enemy’s flank, and overwhelm that one section- all while blasting the threats to AV 14 to smithereens with four all but ensured to hit lascannon shots. Try to take out the enemy in sections, rather than taking on the whole thing at once, and the IST group should help out with this concept. I can’t overwhelm another player’s entire army with my low numbers but if I can get small parts of it at a time- I can do some serous damage, with the PAGK’s assaulting out, clearing an enemy position- then being redeployed quickly by the land raiders- hopefully before the blunt of the enemy can crash upon the small force.

4 HQ, 23 troops, and three tank models-
1500/1500 Points

Overall- I was really trying to go for a list that would be fun, and well challenging to play. But even more importantly a list that was friendly, but still competitive in it’s own right- but would look impressive on the table top. I hope that you all enjoyed the army list , and I will probably be posting a smaller 1000 pt one at some pt as well at some pt in the near future. I have below several pictures of two dread’s that sadly didn’t make into this main list, as well as two objective markers that I had made from actually spare Dread parts (made them into little assault cannons lol).
DH 1500 Pt. Competitive list 000_0009-1
Both have twin linked lascannons and a smoke launcher
DH 1500 Pt. Competitive list 000_0010-1-1
Converted from the multi-melta from the Battle for Black Reach set.
DH 1500 Pt. Competitive list 000_0012
DH 1500 Pt. Competitive list 000_0011

I look forward to hearing back from you, and invite your guidance on any tweaks or changes that you believe should be made

-Cease
Ceasarian
Ceasarian
Grey Knight
Grey Knight

Number of posts : 411
Registration date : 2009-03-02

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

DH 1500 Pt. Competitive list Empty Re: DH 1500 Pt. Competitive list

Post by Rivan Sun Jun 28, 2009 5:30 pm

I like your list Caesarian. Pretty well-balanced for 1500 pts. Just a couple of things to note:

frag grenades: since only the justicar has them, only he will get the benefit. His squad will attack at I10 when assaulting enemy models in cover.

HQ deepstrike: I would avoid it as much as possible. Not only do you have the "open space" to think about, you also have the random "turn" they will come in. I think you're starting off with very few models as it is and will probably need every model on the table to be really effective in your first few turns. Imagine, if because of unlucky rolls, your HQ doesn't come in till turn 3 or worse!

Otherwise, I think you have a very solid list with a solid game plan. Can't wait to hear some batreps with this list. Good luck!
Rivan
Rivan
Adeptus Moderatus
Adeptus Moderatus

Number of posts : 4404
Army : Grey Knights 7th Brotherhood, Salamanders
Registration date : 2009-03-05

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by NemesisForce Sun Jun 28, 2009 9:29 pm

I'm in agreement with Rivan about deepstriking your Termies. With the obligatory one turn delay before coming on and relying on dice rolls afterwards is too much of a chancey thing IMHO for a unit so powerful. In my army the GM/B-C with retinue are my meat and potatoes. I mount them in an LR and where the crucial killing needs to be done most is exactly where I send them. The list looks good though and so does your army. I especially like the Dreads.
NemesisForce
NemesisForce
Inquisitor
Inquisitor

Number of posts : 1945
Army : Grey Knight, Black Templar, Chaos Space Marine, Tau Empire
Registration date : 2008-02-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Brother Ezekiel Mon Jun 29, 2009 2:11 am

cool list and what I have heard a pretty solid list. As for the names I suggest second land raider would be Consequence
As youre IST would have Faith in front to shield and that would be Reason and then your GM and termies could be in Consequence
to be the consequence of what happens when Faith has succefully covered them(Killing alot of stuff and in everyway possible be kickass!)
Brother Ezekiel
Brother Ezekiel
Justicar
Justicar

Number of posts : 691
Location : Segmentum Obscurus,Battle Barge Immolative Onslaught
Army : White Raven Space Marines 5th Company and the new Bloodoathed Chaos Space Marines,also Empire General Rainer 'Cursebreaker' 'Dwarf-helper' Raukovs independent 18th army of Nuln
Registration date : 2008-11-30

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Zealadin Mon Jun 29, 2009 7:59 am

List looks great, and so do your models, can't wait to see some batreps from games you play.

Esp like the effect on your tanks with the splashup effect from the ground, and onto the treads.
Zealadin
Zealadin
Grand Master
Grand Master

Number of posts : 3279
Army : Retired Eldar, Puritan Grey Knights, Dark Eldar
Registration date : 2008-09-14

Grey knight
stats:

http://kael-din.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by For the Emperor Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:29 am

I am struggling to critic a list which looks so awesome! the painting is really cool!

A few pointers. Your dreadnoughts could both do with Lascannons to take out light transports which can be a pain like dark eldar raiders etc.

A cool conversion you could do is to convert the multilaser and heavy bolter into Heavy Flamers. Park next to the enemy, rapid fire Plasma and pop smokes on your chimera. The enemy will probably not be able to kill the Chimera due to the really cool Only glancing hits rule on the smoke launchers. So then next turn (pray to god your not shaken or stunned and fire both Heavy Flamers.

If it helps try and make a pyschological impact on your opponent, say your really not going to cause any damage to it because of smoke Launchers and they should leave it.

Anyway ill finish ranting, nice army.
For the Emperor
For the Emperor
Grey Knight
Grey Knight

Number of posts : 281
Army : Daemonhunters
Registration date : 2008-06-16

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Rivan Thu Jul 02, 2009 3:40 am

Now that I can see your pics as well...very nice army! I specially like the conversion work on the dreads Very Happy
Rivan
Rivan
Adeptus Moderatus
Adeptus Moderatus

Number of posts : 4404
Army : Grey Knights 7th Brotherhood, Salamanders
Registration date : 2009-03-05

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content