1700 pts Daemonhunters VS Necrons

View previous topic View next topic Go down

1700 pts Daemonhunters VS Necrons

Post by Coyote on Mon Apr 06, 2009 2:01 pm

BatRep 05MAR09

Subj. Daemonhunters VS Necrons 1700pts

Setup and Composition:

On March 5th 2009, Necron activity was reported in the desert sector of planet Mythos. Initial estimates of the Necron forces were as follows:

HQ
Lord w/ Res Orb and Lightning Arc
Nightbringer

Troops
4 squads of Necron Warriors each 10 strong

Fast Attack
5 Destroyers
3 Wraiths
3 Scarab Swarms

Imperial records show no tactical significance to this area. Thus it was determined that a detachment of Daemonhunters would be dispatched to investigate the Necron activity and to annihilate the Necron force. The Daemonhunter contingency was composed of the following units:

HQ
Grand Master w IOTJ and Holocaust
Inquisitor Lord w Psycannon, Artificer Armour, 3 HB Gun Servitors, Sage

Troops
Squad Alpha 10 PAGK w/ Incinerator, Frag Grenades, and Targeter
Squad Bravo 8 PAGK w/ Incinerator, Frag Grenades, and Targeter
Inquisitorial Storm Troopers X7 w/ Grenade Launcher and Rhino

Heavy Support
Land Raider w/ Extra Armor, Dozer Blades, and Smoke Launchers
Land Raider w/ Extra Armor, Dozer Blades, and Smoke Launchers
Dreadnought w/ Missile Launcher, Autocannon, and Extra Armour

Highlights of the Engagement:

Though the Necrons were emplaced first, the DH force was able to seize the initiative and draw first blood. The bulk of the Necron force was on the right flank with only the Nightbringer and one 10 man squad of Warriors on the left. The Inquisitor Lord and Dreadnought deployed into a bunker with squad alpha loading into one LR on the left and squad bravo supported by the Grand Master loading into the LR on the right. After all troops were embarked squad alpha went left supported by fire from the bunker and squad bravo went right with the storm troopers trailing slightly behind. Only 2 warriors and one destroyer fell in the first volley from our blessed weapons. Though the destroyer failed to rise, the warriors succeeded. Surely there is something daemonic about these damnable contraptions. Now it was the Necron’s opportunity to retaliate. They did little but move and even the unnaturally powerful shot from the Nightbringer failed to do anything to the LR on the left.

After weathering some gauss weaponry the DH’s pressed forward while the bunkered units continued to lay down so much covering fire that even an IG commander would be envious. The unnatural creatures used cover well and only 2 warriors fell from the hale of lead in the air. There must have been something daemonic going on because this is also when the Rhino tried to move into some difficult terrain and immobilized itself. Of the 2 warriors that fell only one stood back up. The Necron’s answered our fire with their own. Again the Nightbringer’s efforts did nothing. However, the destroyers on the right were able to take the heavy bolter on the LR out of action.

Undaunted, the DH forces pressed on. Reaching its destination, the LR on the right unloaded its deadly cargo in the form of 8 PAGK’s and the Grand Master just a few paces from 2 squads of 10 Necron Warriors while also denying line of sight to the destroyers. Now it was time to annihilate. Squad bravo fired a volley, felling two warriors, and then charged both Necron units. At the end of the combat 9 more warriors lay fallen and the remnants of the 2 squads had no choice but to fall back off of the battlefield. Seeing his precious servants being so mercilessly decimated, the Nightbringer chose to brake away from the squad of Necrons on the left leaving them completely unsupported. A turn too late, the destroyers were able to immobilize the LR on the right. Wanting to serve his god to the end the Necron Lord joined the scarabs and charged the Grey Knights. This was to be a hasty mistake as the GM’s force weapon slayed the Lord out right leaving only three swarms to deal with the remaining 8 PAGK’s.

Having easily dispatched the swarms it was the DH’s turn to deal more pain to the enemies of mankind. Squad alpha observed the now unsupported unit of Necrons on the left and sprang into action. Their LR moved at full speed through difficult terrain and was immobilized, but not before reaching its destination and allowing squad alpha to unload within charging distance of its target. With no other targets the Inquisitor Lord and his retinue unleashed a volley of fire onto the Nightbringer. Amazingly, though not to the Inquisitor Lord because his faith in the Emperor was strong, the Nightbringer was hurt significantly. Seeing an unlikely opportunity unfolding, the Inquisitor Lord ordered the Dreadnought to fire on the Nightbringer and was rewarded by screams of agony from the false Necron god. In a last ditch effort, the ever so keen Justicar of squad alpha ordered one final shot from his LR to the Nightbringer and finally brought the beast down. Now it was time for assault. Squad alpha charged and swept the unsupported squad of Necrons on the left. Squad bravo fired into a unit of 3 wraiths and then charged them as well as a nearby squad of warriors. Again squad bravo was successful. The wraiths were wiped off the battlefield and the remaining warriors fell back. Then suddenly, the remaining Necron force simply faded away without a trace. As of now no motives for the Necron insurgence have been uncovered and further investigation of the area is recommended by the Inquisitorial forces who were engaged in the battle.

Last edited by Coyote on Mon Apr 06, 2009 5:42 pm; edited 2 times in total

Coyote
Grey Knight
Grey Knight

Number of posts : 316
Location : Secret lair located underneath a volcano on a remote tropical island somewhere in the Pacific
Army : GK/IG
Registration date : 2008-11-22

Grey knight
stats:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 1700 pts Daemonhunters VS Necrons

Post by Constantine on Mon Apr 06, 2009 2:39 pm

Well played Brother!!!!!!

Nice job by your GM dropping the Lord!!!! I love that!!!!

+++"There is nothing in the arcane and blasphemous arsenal of the forces of Chaos that can compare to faith. With the power of faith, our weapons become shining instruments of deliverance that can cleave the mightiest daemon in twain. With the power of faith, our minds appear as slivers of pure agony to the daemon, driving into the wretched forms of those who would dare stand before us. With the power of faith, our words become commands that cause the daemon to cower and cringe in terror. I could meet my enemies unarmed without a shred of fear in my chest, for I know that the Emperor watches over me and guides my hand. So let them come. We shall show them what the power of faith can do."+++ (Brother Captain Stern)

Constantine
Adeptus Moderatus
Adeptus Moderatus

Number of posts : 5793
Army : Grand Master Mordrak's Brotherhood, Deathwing...Pretty much any first company! I LOVE terminators!!!
Registration date : 2008-05-26

Grey knight
stats:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by NemesisForce on Mon Apr 06, 2009 2:59 pm

Hehe, I could just tell by the first few lines of this batrep it was going to be a sweet victory for the DH's. Well done. You used the best tactics against Necrons: shoot a bit then charge like hell. Don't give em' a second to breath. Or should I say 'not to breath' because they don't. Kudos on bringing down the Bringer. I've never seen him in action but he looks real scary on paper.

NemesisForce
Inquisitor
Inquisitor

Number of posts : 1945
Army : Grey Knight, Black Templar, Chaos Space Marine, Tau Empire
Registration date : 2008-02-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rivan on Mon Apr 06, 2009 3:10 pm

What an awesome batrep! Like reading a short novel lol. Good victory!

"Though we face the power of hell, and death is at our side, we fear not, for the Emperor is with us through it all. If we live, we live for the Emperor. If we die, we die for the Emperor. So whether we live or die, we are the Emperor's. We are Grey Knights and this is why we came to be." --Grandmaster Rivan

"It is said that if you know your enemies and know yourself, you will not be imperiled in a hundred battles; if you do not know your enemies but do know yourself, you will win one and lose one; if you do not know your enemies nor yourself, you will be imperiled in every single battle." --Sun Tzu (from ancient Earth)

Rivan
Adeptus Moderatus
Adeptus Moderatus

Number of posts : 4389
Army : Grey Knights 7th Brotherhood, Salamanders
Registration date : 2009-03-05

Grey knight
stats:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Zealadin on Mon Apr 06, 2009 5:19 pm

Great batrep!

Adding some indents/new lines would make it a bit easier to read, cause I got lost once or twice, but the actual content is sweet!

How do you find your opponents deal with LR? Do they try and focus one or spread the fire between the two?

Zealadin
Grand Master
Grand Master

Number of posts : 3279
Army : Retired Eldar, Puritan Grey Knights, Dark Eldar
Registration date : 2008-09-14

Grey knight
stats:

View user profile http://kael-din.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Coyote on Mon Apr 06, 2009 7:59 pm

Thanks Everyone for the comments
Dropping the Lord was fun..it was actually the 1st time I've had a chance to use the GM force weapon rules.

The Nightbringer was epic luck

I went back and broke up the batrep to better reflect the turn sequence I hope it makes it easier to read.

Zealadin--- Normally my LR's are split up so my opponents tend to spread their fire between the two.

Coyote
Grey Knight
Grey Knight

Number of posts : 316
Location : Secret lair located underneath a volcano on a remote tropical island somewhere in the Pacific
Army : GK/IG
Registration date : 2008-11-22

Grey knight
stats:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Constantine on Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:30 pm

It does in deed. Thank you.

+++"There is nothing in the arcane and blasphemous arsenal of the forces of Chaos that can compare to faith. With the power of faith, our weapons become shining instruments of deliverance that can cleave the mightiest daemon in twain. With the power of faith, our minds appear as slivers of pure agony to the daemon, driving into the wretched forms of those who would dare stand before us. With the power of faith, our words become commands that cause the daemon to cower and cringe in terror. I could meet my enemies unarmed without a shred of fear in my chest, for I know that the Emperor watches over me and guides my hand. So let them come. We shall show them what the power of faith can do."+++ (Brother Captain Stern)

Constantine
Adeptus Moderatus
Adeptus Moderatus

Number of posts : 5793
Army : Grand Master Mordrak's Brotherhood, Deathwing...Pretty much any first company! I LOVE terminators!!!
Registration date : 2008-05-26

Grey knight
stats:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 5:05 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top