7th Edition Codex Army

View previous topic View next topic Go down

7th Edition Codex Army

Post by Rion on Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:27 am

From what I've been reading so far of the posts about out new codex ( http://greyknights.forumotion.com/t4073-the-new-codex#62518 ) here's a rough idea of what my force may become.

Draigo
lvl 3 Librarian (Divination)

Ten man Terminators
2 Psycannons, 2 Hammers (unit of doom. and with Draigo Deep Striking everyone they shouldn't need a Land Raider)

Ten Man PAGKs
2 Psycannons (3-4 squads total depending on points)

Doomglaive Dreads or Dreadknights
(2-3 of either or a mix of both haven't decided)

I don't know points costs so as I said it's a rough draft. Kind of like raw ore that has yet to be refined.

Last edited by Rion on Sun Aug 24, 2014 12:00 pm; edited 1 time in total

Rion
Justicar
Justicar

Number of posts : 625
Army : Grey Knights, Knights Camlann (Space Marine)
Registration date : 2012-03-30

Grey knight
stats:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 7th Edition Codex Army

Post by Alladin the Paladin on Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:45 pm

Yeah I think I will eventually flesh out my new, Inquisitor-less GK with a Libby or GM as HQ, a few boxes of terminators and definitely a Stormraven or Landraider (or one of both) with the possibility of a 2nd Dreadknight depending on costs.

I had wanted to do a heavy conversion of a GM with his retinue (was going to be a counts-as Mordrak but that's off the table now) using 3rd party bits and some Heresy-era terminator armour... Add some fluff about time travel/warp storm and away we go!

I am still committed to painting my Coteaz +Henchmen... One day... One day...

Alladin the Paladin
Grey Knight
Grey Knight

Number of posts : 250
Registration date : 2012-07-19

Grey knight
stats:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rion on Sun Aug 24, 2014 11:29 pm

Ok got my copy in. Time to print out a proper list.

HQ
Rion (Counts as Stern) - 185
Librarian - 145
-Lvl 3 (Santic), Domina Liber Daemonica

Troops
10 man Terminator Squad - 390
- 2 Psycannons, 10 Halberds

10 man Strike Squad - 285
2 Psycannons, Rhino

2 Psycannons, Rhino

2 Psycannons, Rhino

Heavy Support
Nemesis Dreadknight - 195
-Heavy Psycannon, Personal Teleporter

Total= 1965

First game turn should be dancing to my tune with this list. With 4 Santic powers there is a low chance of the Libby not rolling Gate of Infinity. Combined with Stern's guaranteed Sanctuary the unit is Deep Striking anywhere on the board turn 1 rocking a 2+/4++ save (3++ in Stern's case.) The Dreadknights with their Personal Teleporters can get just about anywhere, especially if one wants to use the 30" shunt on turn 1 (like most thing that depends on the game), bringing their massive firepower where it's needed most while still able to lay a smack down in the melee. The Strike Squads (usually combat squaded) will mainly hold objectives or slowly advance sandwhiching the enemy between them and the Termie's and Knights advancing from the rear. Alternatively I can hold a few in Reserve and Deep Strike them in for even more enemy back field shenanigans.

Stern was mainly to save points but he has the Master Level of a Grand Master. A Decent Warlord Trait. Good Psychic Powers. And his Strands of Fate Special Rule can be helpful if used properly.

Last edited by Rion on Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:00 pm; edited 2 times in total

Rion
Justicar
Justicar

Grey knight
stats:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rion on Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:00 am

Have enough points left over to give the Terminators Halberds. Or the dreadknights Hammers. Oh decisions decisions.

Rion
Justicar
Justicar

Grey knight
stats:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rion on Wed Aug 27, 2014 1:34 am

Sorry for the triple post but I just realized I can use this a either a Combined Arms Detachment or our unique Nemesis Strike Force Detachment. What do you guys think is better? Objective Secured? Or Deep Strike Everything turn 1? Or choose on a per game basis?

Rion
Justicar
Justicar

Grey knight
stats:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Souba on Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:30 pm

you can also play both at the same time. you just have to fulfill the minimum requirements.
so GK detatchment 1 HQ 1 Troops
combined arms detatchment: 1HQ 2 Troops

from then on build both lists as you want them too, keep in mind that the units within each detatchment only have the rules of their detatchment. not both.

Souba
Brother Captain
Brother Captain

Number of posts : 1587
Army : Inquisitorial Army, Necrons, Dark Eldar, Daemons of Chaos
Registration date : 2009-11-07

Grey knight
stats:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by CrisLander on Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:44 pm

I think it's also a matter of the game you have to play. For missions based on objectives, the Objective secured benefit from a combined arms can be a decisive factor. Imagine you have your 10 Termies controlling an objective, and in the last turn one measly fire warrior runs and gets close enough to the objective. If you don't have a combined arms detachment and the other guy does, then you will lose the objective. Now think about how a designated vehicle of a troop is now considered troop, and even blocking an objective is not a viable tactic because they could just tank shock you into moving away from the objective.

For matches not based on objectives, or maybe maelstrom of war missions (that have tactical objectives, but they will be constantly changing so it won't be possible for the other team to make those last minute objective steals) it might be much less of an issue.

CrisLander
Stormtrooper
Stormtrooper

Number of posts : 40
Army : Grey Knights!
Registration date : 2013-05-14

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rion on Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:04 pm

CrisLander wrote:I think it's also a matter of the game you have to play. For missions based on objectives, the Objective secured benefit from a combined arms can be a decisive factor. Imagine you have your 10 Termies controlling an objective, and in the last turn one measly fire warrior runs and gets close enough to the objective. If you don't have a combined arms detachment and the other guy does, then you will lose the objective. Now think about how a designated vehicle of a troop is now considered troop, and even blocking an objective is not a viable tactic because they could just tank shock you into moving away from the objective.

For matches not based on objectives, or maybe maelstrom of war missions (that have tactical objectives, but they will be constantly changing so it won't be possible for the other team to make those last minute objective steals) it might be much less of an issue.

That's what I was thinking after i got some sleep

Rion
Justicar
Justicar

Grey knight
stats:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rion on Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:59 pm

Made some mistakes in my math, which opened up a couple of doors to me. Which list you guys like better. This one or the one with Stern?

HQ
Grandmaster Rion - 217
-Santic Powers, Psycannon, Master Crafted Halberd
Librarian - 145
-Lvl 3 (Santic), Domina Liber Daemonica

Troops
10 man Terminator Squad - 390
- 2 Psycannons, 10 Halberd

2 Psycannons, Rhino

2 Psycannons, Rhino

2 Psycannons, Rhino

Heavy Support

Total= 1997

While the powers are totally random the odds are still good I land Sanctuary and Gate of Infinity, so the main battle plan should still work. If not Nemesis Formation. The Grand Master is a more versatile combatant able to shoot and engage in close combat. Couldn't find the points to give him the Soul Glaive, was 5 points over, granted depending on opponent that may not be an issue. But a MC Halberd can be just as nice. Departing from my normal 2 hammer rest swords load out; cause for those same points I can give the WHOLE Terminator squad Halberds as well. 10 models striking at a moderate strength compared to 2 models striking at high strength seems like a better deal. Although STR 7 with Hammerhand activated is still nice.

Rion
Justicar
Justicar

Grey knight
stats:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Akoni on Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:21 pm

I would consider changing the Dreadknights' psycannons to psilencers. You'll get back 10 points and you take out those pesky multi wound models in a jiffy and kill mobs and squad units much more swiftly.

Akoni
Justicar
Justicar

Number of posts : 687
Army : Grey Knights
Registration date : 2011-05-17

Grey knight
stats:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Souba on Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:30 pm

Nineteen73 wrote:I would consider changing the Dreadknights' psycannons to psilencers. You'll get back 10 points and you take out those pesky multi wound models in a jiffy and kill mobs and squad units much more swiftly.

i wouldnt be so sure about that. the psilencer is average 8 hits and against t 4 thats 4 wounds.. now a 3+ armoursave makes that a single wound, which is not that great. looking at tougher stuff like the tyrants or greater daemons you hit 8 times and struggle to even wound. then they still got the armour/invul save. yes that force sounds amazing but without some punch behind the gun there isnt much this gun can do. the psycannon on the other hand now grants the NDK even anti vehicle and monstrous creature damage thanks to those 6 shots you cause way more damage. against hordes you still got the blast version.

Souba
Brother Captain
Brother Captain

Number of posts : 1587
Army : Inquisitorial Army, Necrons, Dark Eldar, Daemons of Chaos
Registration date : 2009-11-07

Grey knight
stats:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rion on Thu Sep 04, 2014 11:52 pm

Souba wrote:
Nineteen73 wrote:I would consider changing the Dreadknights' psycannons to psilencers. You'll get back 10 points and you take out those pesky multi wound models in a jiffy and kill mobs and squad units much more swiftly.

i wouldnt be so sure about that. the psilencer is average 8 hits and against t 4 thats 4 wounds.. now a 3+ armoursave makes that a single wound, which is not that great. looking at tougher stuff like the tyrants or greater daemons you hit 8 times and struggle to even wound. then they still got the armour/invul save. yes that force sounds amazing but without some punch behind the gun there isnt much this gun can do. the psycannon on the other hand now grants the NDK even anti vehicle and monstrous creature damage thanks to those 6 shots you cause way more damage. against hordes you still got the blast version.

agreed. While the Cannon costs more it's worth it's weight in gold compared to the psilancer. Psycannons are honestly our best heavy weapon.

A new question poses it self. How much would the Ten Man Squad of Terminators with the Grandmaster and Librarian benefit from the Primaris Power of Divination? (rolling a random power of Divination and automatically trading it in for the Primaris) Yes I'm loosing 1 out of 6 dice for Santic lowering my odds of getting Sanctuary and Gate of Infinity but that's still 5 dice rolling for them. So worth it? what ya think? (Note this is more for Combined Arms formations, in Nemesis Strike Force, Gate of Infinity is not as heavily needed in which case the Grandmaster just goes Divination.)

Rion
Justicar
Justicar

Grey knight
stats:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 4:56 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top