Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

WHAT NEEDS UPDATING ON THE SITE BROTHERS OR SORTING OUT

+26
DonFer
TheCrimsonGlass
GMKDynamis
Grimhack
elugin
Nausaden
MJSwasey
Amareo Davion
evileyevirtue
Rivan
Vann Harl
Coyote
Dominar_Mortis
Spartan
Snow
Zealadin
For the Emperor
Praexes
Master curwood
Snowfire
Articus
Klomster
The Legionnaire
NemesisForce
Constantine
Inquisitor Lord
30 posters

:: Community

Page 4 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

WHAT NEEDS UPDATING ON THE SITE BROTHERS OR SORTING OUT - Page 4 Empty Re: WHAT NEEDS UPDATING ON THE SITE BROTHERS OR SORTING OUT

Post by Klomster Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:14 am

Hmmm, i think it was due to a holiday and sudden misunderstanding.

Well, it's up to the community, if everyone is interested, tell us!

And if there isn't any interest, we can handle without.
Klomster
Klomster
Adeptus Administratum
Adeptus Administratum

Number of posts : 4321
Army : Think positive, it will soon get worse. (Mechanicus)
Registration date : 2007-12-21

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

WHAT NEEDS UPDATING ON THE SITE BROTHERS OR SORTING OUT - Page 4 Empty Re: WHAT NEEDS UPDATING ON THE SITE BROTHERS OR SORTING OUT

Post by Constantine Mon May 11, 2009 11:14 am

I know i keep on about this, but........... Are we going to get some sort of chat feature added to the forum?
Constantine
Constantine
Adeptus Moderatus
Adeptus Moderatus

Number of posts : 5819
Army : Grand Master Mordrak's Brotherhood, Deathwing...Pretty much any first company! I LOVE terminators!!!
Registration date : 2008-05-26

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Praexes Mon May 11, 2009 11:42 am

We used to have one. Don't know what happened to it.
Praexes
Praexes
Adeptus Moderatus
Adeptus Moderatus

Number of posts : 192
Army : Ordo Malleus 1000 pts, Pre Heresy Death Guard and Mechanicum (W/PIP)
Registration date : 2007-10-24

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by evileyevirtue Mon May 11, 2009 7:55 pm

Well, reading through this forum, a couple of thoughts rolled through my head brothers.

First, this is a smaller, closer knit site that I think offers a lot being smaller. I don't thing there should be a huge rush to expand at exponential rates because, before you know it, there's going to be every goon out there babbling on about how stupid your army list is or that you're an ignorant dumb ass. I like the smaller community and cozy feeling it gives.

Second, the color/layout. I know it's 'easy' to read black on white, but seriously, white is just way too bright on a computer screen. After reading for about 10 minutes I get those light imprints where I see something that got burned into my retina and that just makes it harder to read. Maybe it's just me, but the color could use a bit of softening up to ease the eyes.

Third, I definitely agree that the forums/subforums needs some tidying up. I know it may be convenient to have subforums for different list sizes, but there seriously aren't enough to warrant that. I feel like I'm burrowing through the depths of useless beurocracy to find something when I'm just browsing through. Too complex, too intimidating, and too much period. Maybe if there were 300 posts a day, it would warrant it. But now? Surely not.

As a side note...what is up with the background image? I don't see the point of having it if you can't see it. Might as well just rid of it to lower the bandwidth for loading. And it looks...well...tacky like a website from the early 90's with gif's everywhere...

Just my thoughts...
evileyevirtue
evileyevirtue
Henchmen
Henchmen

Number of posts : 78
Army : Grey Knights, Salamanders, Eldar
Registration date : 2009-04-20

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Praexes Mon May 11, 2009 8:17 pm

Yeah, I agree.

The fprum needs to be trimmed down to this at the very least:

- Community
+Rumours

- 40k Discussion
+Tactics, Army Lists, and Battle Reports

- Painting and Modelling
+Logs
+Tutorials and Advice

- Misc
+Games
+Trading

And I completely agree about the tacky flashiness of it.
Praexes
Praexes
Adeptus Moderatus
Adeptus Moderatus

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Zealadin Mon May 11, 2009 8:52 pm

I have to admit that I find the many tiers often annoying when I just want to check the newest posts and reply to them, so I keep up to date with going on.

From a website design perspective you have people who like dark on light, and people who like light on dark, the dark on light (ie black on white) are the majority, and alot of people have their screen brightness too high for gaming specifically which then makes reading from a white background a bit uncomfortable.
I have mine up quite high, but still prefer our forum layout over any other because its simple, puritan, and very egonomic.

Maybe adding an option to use a different skin might be an idea, but I personally like the way it is now and haven't seen another forum skin that would even come close to this one, not sure how other people feel.
I spend half my life on the computer, especially at the moment with all the work I'm doing, and its still a releif to take a break here and take a look through.

One issue from the forum admin perspective, can you easily change the structure without losing threads and posts?

I also still think a chat feature in the forum area would be really great, I have to admit I haven't visited the index page in over a year, but it would be great in the general forum area
Zealadin
Zealadin
Grand Master
Grand Master

Number of posts : 3279
Army : Retired Eldar, Puritan Grey Knights, Dark Eldar
Registration date : 2008-09-14

Grey knight
stats:

http://kael-din.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Constantine Mon May 11, 2009 9:09 pm

I like what we have going here.

I don't mind the white. It is clean and pure like us (the Grey Knights). And besides, I get those ghost images from reading different colored backgrounds to, so there is no need to change ours.

I agree with Brother Zealadin that we probhably do have too many tiers.

I also want to get a chat feature on here!!! PLEASE!!!! I'LL BE GOOD, I PROMISE Razz

Different skins might be fun.

Also, I think it would be great to hear from Inquisitor Lord again. I fear he has found another site that interests him more or has fallen ill tongue
Constantine
Constantine
Adeptus Moderatus
Adeptus Moderatus

Army : Grand Master Mordrak's Brotherhood, Deathwing...Pretty much any first company! I LOVE terminators!!!

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Praexes Mon May 11, 2009 10:03 pm

I would get you some updates, bring back the chat function and simple the skull rating icons rather than the gifs evileyevirtue was complaining about, but Inquisitor Lord took away my admin. ;_;

EDIT:

Current "new post" icons would be replaced by these:
WHAT NEEDS UPDATING ON THE SITE BROTHERS OR SORTING OUT - Page 4 LockedNEW
WHAT NEEDS UPDATING ON THE SITE BROTHERS OR SORTING OUT - Page 4 Lockedold

Thread Locked Version:
WHAT NEEDS UPDATING ON THE SITE BROTHERS OR SORTING OUT - Page 4 Lockedold-1
WHAT NEEDS UPDATING ON THE SITE BROTHERS OR SORTING OUT - Page 4 Lockednew-1

Ratings skulls:
WHAT NEEDS UPDATING ON THE SITE BROTHERS OR SORTING OUT - Page 4 Blackskulls4

Moderators and Admins have red skulls.

Do you like these? I haven't done any work on them since they were taken off, but I can make changes if you have suggestions.
Praexes
Praexes
Adeptus Moderatus
Adeptus Moderatus

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Zealadin Tue May 12, 2009 5:50 am

Those look pretty cool!
Zealadin
Zealadin
Grand Master
Grand Master

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Klomster Tue May 12, 2009 6:08 am

The white of the forum is as it should be, although i have nothing against making it a less bright white, perhaps a bit more to the dheneb stone colour or a slight grey tone to it.

Just to tone down the super bright.

And we need another admin, nothing against inquisitor lord, but the most i see of him is nothing, then you point that out and he suddenly jumps out from nowhere and YELLS!!
-HAHA! You thought i wasn't here, but i was!!! And then he vanishes again with a small laugh.
And you stand there in shock and don't know what to do.

I like how the forum is layed out though, the only thing i would like to change for now is army lists.
Instead of having 1000, 1500, 1750, 2000, 3000+ you might want to change it too.
Small armies, 0-1750, large armies, 1751-2500 and apocalypse, or something like that.
And it's too bad that the comic part is dead.
Klomster
Klomster
Adeptus Administratum
Adeptus Administratum

Number of posts : 4321
Army : Think positive, it will soon get worse. (Mechanicus)
Registration date : 2007-12-21

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by NemesisForce Tue May 12, 2009 1:34 pm

I personally prefer the white background. This is the only forum I visit where I have absolutely zero visual issues. Considering that not many army lists are actually posted I think they could be placed under just one heading. I do like the way we have GK discussion threads being seperate from other 40K ones.
NemesisForce
NemesisForce
Inquisitor
Inquisitor

Number of posts : 1945
Army : Grey Knight, Black Templar, Chaos Space Marine, Tau Empire
Registration date : 2008-02-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Zealadin Tue May 12, 2009 8:59 pm

Yea maybe consolidating a few of the less used topics would be good.
Zealadin
Zealadin
Grand Master
Grand Master

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Rivan Tue May 12, 2009 9:41 pm

I think the white background is good...but I also agree with Brother K that a slight change to light grey might be good too...still simple, pure and less stress on the eyes.

@Praexes: I like the skull rating icons!

I'm also for simplifying the tiers so it's easier to get to the topics you want to read.

Just my two cents...Very Happy
Rivan
Rivan
Adeptus Moderatus
Adeptus Moderatus

Number of posts : 4404
Army : Grey Knights 7th Brotherhood, Salamanders
Registration date : 2009-03-05

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Constantine Tue May 12, 2009 10:40 pm

What about making a set number of skulls equalling a purity seal?

I think that a stone/marble grey backgroung would be pretty cool.

And I agree with everyone else that simplifying the tiers is a good idea.
Constantine
Constantine
Adeptus Moderatus
Adeptus Moderatus

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by For the Emperor Sat May 30, 2009 4:35 am

Sorry to go off-topic. I would like to suggest a gallery for all our photos. Or perhaps even photo albums, this way we can post up a photo album and without having to post in new photos of minis we can instead update the album? It will probably make photos easier to find, if we have a search engine for the photos too. Smile
For the Emperor
For the Emperor
Grey Knight
Grey Knight

Number of posts : 281
Army : Daemonhunters
Registration date : 2008-06-16

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Praexes Sat May 30, 2009 5:43 am

It isn't off-topic. This is a general thread for any suggestions about improving all aspects of the site.

But don't hold your breath for updates.
Praexes
Praexes
Adeptus Moderatus
Adeptus Moderatus

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Constantine Sat May 30, 2009 8:04 am

for the emperor wrote:Sorry to go off-topic. I would like to suggest a gallery for all our photos. Or perhaps even photo albums, this way we can post up a photo album and without having to post in new photos of minis we can instead update the album? It will probably make photos easier to find, if we have a search engine for the photos too. Smile

I like this idea. Very Happy

And, is there any word on the chat feature in the works yet? confused
Constantine
Constantine
Adeptus Moderatus
Adeptus Moderatus

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by NemesisForce Sat May 30, 2009 7:56 pm

I like the photo album idea. Would reduce much scrolling and finger wear.
NemesisForce
NemesisForce
Inquisitor
Inquisitor

Number of posts : 1945
Army : Grey Knight, Black Templar, Chaos Space Marine, Tau Empire
Registration date : 2008-02-07

Back to top Go down

Post by evileyevirtue Sat May 30, 2009 8:07 pm

I second second the photo album idea. It would be very convenient to have a centrally located album.
evileyevirtue
evileyevirtue
Henchmen
Henchmen

Number of posts : 78
Army : Grey Knights, Salamanders, Eldar
Registration date : 2009-04-20

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Amareo Davion Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:45 am

I like the idea also.
Amareo Davion
Amareo Davion
Henchmen
Henchmen

Number of posts : 144
Army : Space Marines
Registration date : 2009-04-23

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Constantine Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:47 am

*Cough, cough, chat, cough, cough!*

Sorry Brothers, my cough seems to have returned. Razz
Constantine
Constantine
Adeptus Moderatus
Adeptus Moderatus

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Amareo Davion Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:56 am

Question I don't get the joke
Amareo Davion
Amareo Davion
Henchmen
Henchmen

Number of posts : 144
Army : Space Marines
Registration date : 2009-04-23

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Constantine Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:01 am

I have been asking for a chat feature on this forum for quite some time now. I was told we were going to try it again (we had it in the past apparently) but have not seen any mention of it for months, hence the cough. I also did the cough thing in previous posts.
Constantine
Constantine
Adeptus Moderatus
Adeptus Moderatus

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Inquisitor Lord Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:42 am

evening brothers the chat feature is now up and can be found at the bottom of the forum also the photo album system is in place ref tiers I'm still trying to brain storm how to do this and to see what is the best way to keep all persons happy has i states every single comment on this site goes in my email in box and i check them every day brothers so even tho i am not always here i am watching

IL =I=
Inquisitor Lord
Inquisitor Lord
Adeptus Administratum
Adeptus Administratum

Number of posts : 454
Army : 1st company pure grey Knights to the bone
Registration date : 2007-10-16

Grey knight
stats:

https://greyknights.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Zealadin Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:14 pm

And -THATS- why your the Inquisitor Lord Razz

Often invisible, always watching, waiting.
Zealadin
Zealadin
Grand Master
Grand Master

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next