Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Land Raiders; which is the most tactically sound?

+3
Sai
Rion
Andarius the Red
7 posters

:: Tactica

Go down

Land Raiders; which is the most tactically sound? Empty Land Raiders; which is the most tactically sound?

Post by Andarius the Red Sat Feb 15, 2014 11:30 am

Land Raiders are pretty much the flag-ship tank for space marine chapters and (apart from forge world) we have three variants to choose from. My question is what variant is the most effective for our knights to use on the table? And what upgrades if any would be taken to maximum effect?

Andarius the Red
Andarius the Red
Grey Knight
Grey Knight

Number of posts : 433
Army : Grey Knights
Registration date : 2008-07-28

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Land Raiders; which is the most tactically sound? Empty Re: Land Raiders; which is the most tactically sound?

Post by Rion Sat Feb 15, 2014 12:56 pm

Shooting or Assault based armies?
Rion
Rion
Justicar
Justicar

Number of posts : 627
Army : Grey Knights, Knights Camlann (Space Marine)
Registration date : 2012-03-30

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Land Raiders; which is the most tactically sound? Empty Re: Land Raiders; which is the most tactically sound?

Post by Sai Sat Feb 15, 2014 4:20 pm

They're designed to different things. It's like asking whether a can-opener or a bottle opener is best. It depends on what you're trying to do.

Sai
Sai
Justicar
Justicar

Number of posts : 754
Registration date : 2010-12-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Andarius the Red Sat Feb 15, 2014 6:00 pm

Well to help with the question I am asking how each land raider type should be equipped and how many of them should be used to their fullest potential. I've found that although the land raider is powerful, its both a point sink and a target if improperly fielded.

If I took the crusader is it wise to arm it with psy-bolt ammunition? Perhaps the True Silver upgrade for that extra protection against daemons and psykers? Maybe take the Land Raider Crusader as a pair to increase rate of fire and add mobility to the rest of my forces?

I'm just curious of other people's tactics with said war machine.

Andarius the Red
Andarius the Red
Grey Knight
Grey Knight

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Klomster Sat Feb 15, 2014 8:31 pm

When i played i usually drove it straight up to the enemy and unleashed the terminators.

At times it was shot down.

That was a crusader btw.

(I'm so good at tatical advice Very Happy )
Klomster
Klomster
Adeptus Administratum
Adeptus Administratum

Number of posts : 4321
Army : Think positive, it will soon get worse. (Mechanicus)
Registration date : 2007-12-21

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Rion Sat Feb 15, 2014 9:32 pm

In a nutshell

Land Raider Godhammer (the generic): All around Terminator Transport and All Purpose Tank

Land Raider Crusader: Good personal transport with lots of Anti-Infantry guns.

land Raider Redeemer: Drive troops into fortifications and bunkers and watch the defenders disappear.
Rion
Rion
Justicar
Justicar

Number of posts : 627
Army : Grey Knights, Knights Camlann (Space Marine)
Registration date : 2012-03-30

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Constantine Sun Feb 16, 2014 1:53 pm

Rion wrote:In a nutshell

Land Raider Godhammer (the generic): All around Terminator Transport and All Purpose Tank

Land Raider Crusader: Good personal transport with lots of Anti-Infantry guns.

land Raider Redeemer: Drive troops into fortifications and bunkers and watch the defenders disappear.

I miss the days of multiple raider lists! All variants are SOOOO cool.
Constantine
Constantine
Adeptus Moderatus
Adeptus Moderatus

Number of posts : 5819
Army : Grand Master Mordrak's Brotherhood, Deathwing...Pretty much any first company! I LOVE terminators!!!
Registration date : 2008-05-26

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Andarius the Red Sun Feb 16, 2014 4:20 pm

Back in 4th and 5th edition I used a pair of forge world Redeemers to just slam into my opponent and pour out 20 grey knights with a pair of incinerators per squad. The results were quite damaging, today that tactic is a bit suicidal unless you gear up your tanks for survivability or have troops that have no worries of a 250 point vehicle blowing up with them inside it.
Andarius the Red
Andarius the Red
Grey Knight
Grey Knight

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Souba Sun Feb 16, 2014 5:04 pm

Constantine wrote: I miss the days of multiple raider lists! All variants are SOOOO cool.

well its still very viable considering most switched from melta to plasma weapons  bounce
Souba
Souba
Brother Captain
Brother Captain

Number of posts : 1602
Army : Inquisitorial Army, Necrons, Dark Eldar, Daemons of Chaos
Registration date : 2009-11-07

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by first strike Sun Feb 16, 2014 8:26 pm

Landraider base model needs no upgrades to be effective
Crusader, psibolts and m.melta due to PotMS to take out armour are the go to items
Redeamer, psi flame can help, but is not realy needed, multimelta (as above).
The land raider is used as a fire base and counter assult, transport is only 10 men so cannot realy take a death star.
Both the other landraiders can deliver a deathstar into the heart of the opp army. Have good fire support, one more for hoarde,the crusader and the other for 3+ armour save armies.
first strike
first strike
Grey Knight
Grey Knight

Number of posts : 409
Army : Grey Knights, Eldar, Space Wolves, High Elf
Registration date : 2012-02-08

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down