Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Strom Raven Loadout

+4
Corennus
Sai
Rivan
DonFer
8 posters

:: Tactica

Go down

Strom Raven Loadout Empty Strom Raven Loadout

Post by DonFer Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:35 pm

Hi Borthers! I'm working on a new list and plan to use one Stormraven as aerial support and ocasional transport of troops (not termies just troops).What is the optimal loadout for this? Initially I was thinking TL MM + TL LasCan for some good ol' anti tank, but then it pccurred to me that a good aerial support craft should sport TL AssCan+ TL MM and Hurricane Bolters + Psyboltammo. Expensive yes but a major threat to most flyers and great for thining up hordes and MCs alike.
What do you think? Effective, utter crap? Another loadout perhaps?

Thanks in advance!
DonFer
DonFer
Terminator
Terminator

Number of posts : 1398
Registration date : 2010-10-21

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Strom Raven Loadout Empty Re: Strom Raven Loadout

Post by Rivan Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:56 pm

The TL AssCan + TL MM and hurricane bolters + psybolt ammo is probably the most effective load out as far as number of shots per shooting phase. However, I really think it's not worth the cost considering that there are so many things out there that can easily shoot a SR down. It all boils down to how many points you're giving up for the rest of your list.

I always used the SR as a gunship w/ TWLMM and TWLLC. These are 2 weapons we don't really have much access to. So the SR becomes a dedicated tank hunter or flyer hunter.

I just rely on more psycannons for my infantry to deal w/ hordes. Just my two cents Smile
Rivan
Rivan
Adeptus Moderatus
Adeptus Moderatus

Number of posts : 4404
Army : Grey Knights 7th Brotherhood, Salamanders
Registration date : 2009-03-05

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by DonFer Mon Dec 16, 2013 4:29 pm

Thanks Rivan, I was thinking the same thing. I'm including the stormraven as a primary attack ship, and with the current meta, my primary way if dealing with psykers Wink

The configuration you use, it's effective against wave serpents, tau and daemons? I ask this because I have an event this weekend and intend to bring this list.
DonFer
DonFer
Terminator
Terminator

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Rivan Mon Dec 16, 2013 4:37 pm

It used to be effective for the lists I run. However, I haven't played in such a long time that I'm not up to date with all the new stuff out there.

Hopefully someone with more/current playing experience can chime in.
Rivan
Rivan
Adeptus Moderatus
Adeptus Moderatus

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Sai Tue Dec 17, 2013 2:08 am

I put the missile launcher on mine and use it as an interceptor/long range anti-tank/anti-psyker.

It's a lot more dangerous these days to try to insert troops on a target. If I'm really planning on doing so in a high point game I put Justicar Thawn inside and fly straight at the objective. Even if it crashes and burns Thawn should still be crawling around the drop zone.
Sai
Sai
Justicar
Justicar

Number of posts : 754
Registration date : 2010-12-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Corennus Tue Dec 17, 2013 2:47 am

it really depends on the role you're giving it.

For a troop transport you really want it to take out lots of infantry, so prob Heavy Bolter, Assault Cannon, Psyammo and Hurricane Bolters are your best bet (maybe take Multi-Melta for some anti-tank instead of Heavy Bolter).

For an anti-air / anti-tank role I think T-L Multi-Melta, T-L Assault Cannon and Psyammo is best.

The Missile Launcher is expensive for what it can do...

I'm surprised the stormraven doesn't come with Torrent Flamers to be honest. How cool would that be!!!
Corennus
Corennus
Justicar
Justicar

Number of posts : 664
Army : Ex player from 5th ed.
Registration date : 2011-02-11

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Sai Tue Dec 17, 2013 7:09 am

The missile launcher is definitely overpriced. It's just a matter of preference that I want the option of long range AA/AT or the ability to combine it with the psystrikes for 4 blast templates.

Generally, when I drop off troops they are usually backed up by interceptors and capable of killing the opposition right in front of the raven. The raven is better off using it's manoeuvrability to get some flank shots on vehicles/ light infantry half way across the board.
That said, whenever I drop a raven into hover mode I get a feeling of absolute dread.
Sai
Sai
Justicar
Justicar

Back to top Go down

Post by Corennus Tue Dec 17, 2013 7:41 am

most of my lists if I have a stormraven in it's for pure tank hunting/ anti-air so t-l multi-melta and t-l lascannon way to go.

I guess one way to keep a stormraven out of hover mode and make it very deadly would be to take 3 dreads (heavy flamers, flamer config) and drop them while moving around the board...
Corennus
Corennus
Justicar
Justicar

Number of posts : 664
Army : Ex player from 5th ed.
Registration date : 2011-02-11

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by DonFer Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:22 am

Thanks Brothers!

I would say that with glancing hits being also able to wreck vehicles, rate of fire instead of quality of fire is a good way to go. More shots is always nice and gives you the felxibility to shoot at different threats every turn.
However quality of fire is always a bit more accurate. But still I am concerned about Wave Seprents rendering the MM/LC Raven useless, since they can shrug off a pen to a glance with a 2+. While glances are only eliminated by a 5+.
Right now I'm more inclined to use the Crusader Raven over the MM/LC, though a Plasma Cannon is always nice to have too.

DonFer
DonFer
Terminator
Terminator

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Constantine Tue Dec 17, 2013 1:04 pm

I am inclined to use the SR for tank hunting with TLLC and MM because as stated already these are areas in which we are limited.

But having the TLAC , MM, hurricane bollter set up with a dread and CC orientated squad is a super tastes CC focused option  Twisted Evil 
Constantine
Constantine
Adeptus Moderatus
Adeptus Moderatus

Number of posts : 5819
Army : Grand Master Mordrak's Brotherhood, Deathwing...Pretty much any first company! I LOVE terminators!!!
Registration date : 2008-05-26

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by SteelTitan Wed Dec 25, 2013 3:21 am

Santa has been good to me this year and brought me a stormraven! Now, it's not the best option when playing Draigowing but rounds out my 1850 list nicely and i have yet to find players in my area that play competitively so who cares about optimized lists?

The loadout discussion is interesting but i have one other question for which i did not want to open a new thread. I, as most people, run Coteaz so whats preventing me from putting a 3 warrior acolytes in the raven, just to get another scoring unit in there?

SteelTitan
Henchmen
Henchmen

Number of posts : 66
Registration date : 2013-06-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Rivan Wed Dec 25, 2013 10:40 am

None at all. If it's just a 3 warrior acolyte unit, then it's worth the risk of the SR blowing up since the unit is cheap Smile
Rivan
Rivan
Adeptus Moderatus
Adeptus Moderatus

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by SteelTitan Wed Dec 25, 2013 3:11 pm

What about kill point missions? Shooting down the raven nets 2 KP.

SteelTitan
Henchmen
Henchmen

Number of posts : 66
Registration date : 2013-06-13

Back to top Go down

Post by Rivan Wed Dec 25, 2013 3:29 pm

Yup, that's the downside
Rivan
Rivan
Adeptus Moderatus
Adeptus Moderatus

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Thunder Shark Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:49 am

I recommend the tank hunting MM and LC combo since the Grey Knights infantry units(not counting some inquisitorial henchmen) don't have dedicated Anti-tank guns. But I hope you enjoy your Stormraven.

Thunder Shark
Grey Knight
Grey Knight

Number of posts : 376
Army : Grey Knights(growing and current)/Imperial Guard(retired)/Dwarfs(retired)/Lizardmen(Collection purposes)
Registration date : 2014-03-04

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Sai Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:11 am

I'm thinking of trying a close range dreadnought on the raven. In a particularly hot LZ it can just drop out the back Correnus said, but if I switch to hover and get it launching out with a terminator squad into an assault it should be fairly glorious. I'll probably make up a heavy flamer and multi-melta arm and see how they both fare.
Sai
Sai
Justicar
Justicar

Back to top Go down

Post by bigbri Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:31 am

@Sai My preferred CQB loadout for dread was assault cannon w psybolts/ doomfist + heavy flamer w psyflame. Gives it the ability to deal with most things. If you're allowed FW stuff in your group the Doomglaive variant is pretty sweet IMO

bigbri
Justicar
Justicar

Number of posts : 712
Army : Grey Knights/Space Wolves/Imperial Guard
Registration date : 2010-08-04

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Constantine Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:37 am

Too much fun!!! I love the whole alpha strike piece!!!

Dropping in to smash things in CC is fun, and fits well with my love of Mordrak lists.
You could also consider dropping an anti-tank dread and shaking things up as you take shots at rear and side armour!!!  Twisted Evil
Constantine
Constantine
Adeptus Moderatus
Adeptus Moderatus

Number of posts : 5819
Army : Grand Master Mordrak's Brotherhood, Deathwing...Pretty much any first company! I LOVE terminators!!!
Registration date : 2008-05-26

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down