Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cookie Cutter Grey Knights

+3
Sai
Corennus
iggy666
7 posters

:: Tactica

Go down

Cookie Cutter Grey Knights Empty Cookie Cutter Grey Knights

Post by iggy666 Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:45 pm

Hello everyone, I missed the bandwagon when the Grey Knights came out and I'm just trying to figure out how the unit layouts generally look for maximizing efficiency.

From what I've gathered so far, 10 Grey Knights with 2 Psycannons, Psybolt Ammo, and a Hammer? 5 Termies with 2 swords, 2 halberds, hammer, and psycannon? Psyrifle Dreadnoughts.

What about Dreadknights and Interceptors?

I plan on playing with only Marines, maybe the Vindicare Assassin, but probably not, and I'm just looking for a little more information on how people would equip them before I model them horribly wrong Razz 

iggy666
Stormtrooper
Stormtrooper

Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2012-01-27

Back to top Go down

Cookie Cutter Grey Knights Empty Re: Cookie Cutter Grey Knights

Post by Corennus Tue Dec 03, 2013 3:39 am

hello and welcome.

Depends what you want them to do.

Strike Squads die very easily in CC due to their being space marines, for all intents and purposes. Same goes for Purifiers and Purgators and Interceptors.

Purifiers with Halberds, Daemonhammer and a few incinerators will chew through anything not in power armour. Or you can have them as a mass psycannon unit (best use is 5 in a rhino with 2 psycannons)

As far as Strike Squads go, firepower is key if you take 10 of them. If you take 5 they're more use taking objectives in your table half and keeping them in reserve till later in the game. Psybolt ammo is not a necessity, but Str 5 can be nice as it means you can take out rear armour (with luck) using stormbolters.

Terminators best used as shock troops IMO. psycannon, swords (for 4+ inv in CC and I4) and daemonhammer

Paladins are nice if you can afford them.
Corennus
Corennus
Justicar
Justicar

Number of posts : 664
Army : Ex player from 5th ed.
Registration date : 2011-02-11

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Sai Tue Dec 03, 2013 7:23 am

Like Corennus says, it depends on how you play.

I use terminators as the core of my force and have the guys in power armour in support positions. I suppose it's almost a Deathwing style force.

My terminators are in squads of ten with a mix of weapons and psyammo. In kill point games an opponent has to put a lot of work in to get that one point, while in objective games I can vary the combat squad load-outs to match the terrain and opponent. Teleporting a duel psycannon combat squad behind a vehicle or having twin incinerators stalk out of an assault vehicle next to a packed ork horde, that sort of thing. Meanwhile the other combat squad can hold an objective with 2+ armour saves and throw out 10 S5 shots a turn which isn't so bad. I can have a dedicated hammer/sword group for monstrous creature/terminator hunting while the halberds go after the more lightly armoured foe.

They may not be the most efficient generally but they're the most effective for my natural inclination as far as tactics are concerned.
Sai
Sai
Justicar
Justicar

Number of posts : 754
Registration date : 2010-12-04

Back to top Go down

Post by DonFer Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:05 am

Welcome Brother!

Both previous comments are spot on.

I'd like to add that in 6th the way you build a list has changed a bit. Dreadnoughts are more fragile than before but have not lost their uses. While NDKs are once again "en vouge" becuase of other MCs out there.

I would recommend you to model your SS with swords and hammer for the justicar, psycannon for heavy weapon. Purifiers are great with halberds, hammer and psycannon too. If you fancy Purgators, I'd model them with 2xPsycannons and 2x incinerators. Even 4 incinerators is a good choice, provided you have some way to deliver them to their target. I'd not recommend the psylencer, in any model. Unless you really like it and plan to use it constantly.

DonFer
DonFer
Terminator
Terminator

Number of posts : 1398
Registration date : 2010-10-21

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by iggy666 Tue Dec 03, 2013 10:59 am

Thank you for the responses.

I'd like to take terminators, especially a squad of 10, however, it always seems I'm just reducing my firepower by taking them.

What should I equip my dreadknight with? Obviously the teleporter, but is the greatsword worth it, or are the doomfists good enough to get the job done?

What about Interceptors, does anyone use these?

iggy666
Stormtrooper
Stormtrooper

Back to top Go down

Post by Sai Tue Dec 03, 2013 3:09 pm

Taking terminators means you have to be very precise with where you shoot, but if close combat is likely terminators tend to stand a better chance. You start having to remember things like character precision shots work in close combat and shooting.

I never felt the need for the sword ad it would ruin the aesthetic of my conversion, but others swear by it.
Remember the dread knight is a character- on a 6 he's choosing to backhand the power fist guy in a unit. Precision shot also makes the gatling silencer worth a thought against some armies, though it's still over-costed for a chance to shoot down an icon bearer or melta gunner with what amounts to 4 heavy stubbers bolted together.

Interceptors are brilliant. At 1500 points or above I'd always take ten with the admittedly expensive incinerators. They're not massively powerful but they're useful in almost any situation.
Sai
Sai
Justicar
Justicar

Number of posts : 754
Registration date : 2010-12-04

Back to top Go down

Post by iggy666 Tue Dec 03, 2013 4:18 pm

I'm definitely going to take Interceptors than. I already have a Dreadknight, so I'd like to use it. I feel that the Greatsword is overkill, especially against vehicles. What does the Dreadknight normally end up fighting in games? Units, MCs, vehicles? Because rerolling to hit/wound against MCs might be important. As for the gun, I think Heavy Incinerator seems to be the best.

I think I will take Terminators, at least between 1500-2000pts. To me, they are iconic for Grey Knights, and I just can't see myself using 2000pts of all power armored Grey Knights. Correct me if I'm wrong, but shouldn't the Termies be better off saved for when there are more vehicles on my side, sense they will be sharing the same sorts of enemy attacks (las/plas).

iggy666
Stormtrooper
Stormtrooper

Back to top Go down

Post by Andarius the Red Sat Dec 07, 2013 8:54 pm

Well I use a heavy psycannon with my dreadknights and have them bolstered by servo skulls supplied by my librarian, its the cheapest ranged weapon to pick from and like the heavy incinerator you don't need to roll to hit. But unlike the rest of the knights on the table the dreadknight's bread and butter is close combat. Send him in to deal with troublesome squads or monstrous creatures and he'll cut them down to size. And unless you enemies have the 'eternal warrior' special rule you can use your nemesis great sword to auto-kill your enemy with a psychic test.

One example of how powerful a dreadknight can be is when mine went against a necron lord, 10 necron warriors and 5 tomb spiders with 7 scarab swarms, ALL AT ONCE! It took him 4 turns to kill my knight but he lost his entire squad, all his spiders and scarabs and his lord was reduced to one regenerating wound.

As for the terminators its best to keep them in reserve to protect them from long range enemy fire, terminator armor and invulnerable saves only give so much protection from blast and str. 7+ weapons. Deep strike them into enemy lines either on their own or as support for your offensive troops, the damage they can do in close combat is quite impressive once they get in.
Andarius the Red
Andarius the Red
Grey Knight
Grey Knight

Number of posts : 433
Army : Grey Knights
Registration date : 2008-07-28

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by first strike Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:33 pm

Dreadknight, Tele, Heavy Incin and the sword. That one turn when you fluff all your rolls to hit or W will have you hitting your head against the table saying "Why, Why Why". Support him with interceptors or other fast movers, or use him as a counter punch, just dont throw him into the opp's face on his own or he will go down.
first strike
first strike
Grey Knight
Grey Knight

Number of posts : 409
Army : Grey Knights, Eldar, Space Wolves, High Elf
Registration date : 2012-02-08

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Vecuu Fri Dec 13, 2013 10:20 pm

To add to the Dreadknight discussion: I highly recommend taking them in pairs or trios. One NDK will die a horrible death every time. Two is harder to to take down. My last game I ran a pair against a Triple Riptide list at 1500 (two Ion, one burst), and they didn't drop until the end of turn two, and one of them was one 2+ away from living (give that Fire Warrior a medal!).

As far as Interceptors go, I love them conceptually, but once you buy guns and/or Psybolt ammo for them, you are paying an incredibly expensive premium. They work best in a heavy Alpha Strike based list, Mordrak wing with Shunt support, etc.

I would definitely look into the Storm Raven. You can pull off a lot of plays with those bad boys.
Vecuu
Vecuu
Henchmen
Henchmen

Number of posts : 94
Army : Tyranids, Grey Knights
Registration date : 2012-01-02

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content