Looking for Experienced Solodin for Help!

:: Tactica

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Looking for Experienced Solodin for Help!

Post by SmokinBrown on Sun Aug 04, 2013 5:12 pm

That's a better plan Smile give it a try and let us know how it goes.

SB

SmokinBrown
Grey Knight
Grey Knight

Number of posts : 251
Army : Grey Knights, Necrons, The Empire
Registration date : 2011-05-09

Grey knight
stats:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DonFer on Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:37 am

missed this topic, but I hope I'm not to late to join the discussion.

I was also considering solodins for a list. However I was completely blown away by the best ranked GK player at ETC 2013. He run a list with 6 Solodins an Draigo. He went up to place 24th which is quite a feat considering his army had around 15 models, the majority of players doing Tau/Eldar and Necrons of course.

So it got me thinking. What is exactly the advantage of Solodins beside having a mobile platform for S5 pie plates, that dies quite easily?

DonFer
Terminator
Terminator

Number of posts : 1398
Registration date : 2010-10-21

Grey knight
stats:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rion on Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:25 am

Well one of the obvious ones I can think of off the top of my head is it spreads the fire around. Each squad can only kill AT MOST in their shooting phase 1, count them 1 guy.

Rion
Justicar
Justicar

Number of posts : 625
Army : Grey Knights, Knights Camlann (Space Marine)
Registration date : 2012-03-30

Grey knight
stats:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DonFer on Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:00 am

Yeah I thought that too, but it's just six Solodins max. Surely any army that's worth it's salt can deal with six one-man units in one turn...

DonFer
Terminator
Terminator

Grey knight
stats:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rion on Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:21 am

You got me there. Unless the guy you were talking about made a ridiculous amount of armor saves. scratch

Rion
Justicar
Justicar

Grey knight
stats:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Vecuu on Wed Aug 21, 2013 10:52 am

The cool thing is, even filling up your Troops on 6 Solodins, Draigo still has Grand Strategy, so you could, in theory, take a 10 man or two of a different Power Armored GK, such as Purifiers, and use them to score as well.  Draigo and the 6 Solodins will run you a touch over 600 points, so you'd get a fair bit of wiggle room.

I think it would be more reasonable to run a 5 man squad of Paladins with Draigo, so you get at least one unit that's very difficult to kill, as well as the 8 Relentless Psycannon shots (which Solodins can't purchase).  Start the 5man on the board with Draigo, and Deep Strike in the other 5 Solodins.  Remember that a Solodin can cast Holocaust for a S5 Large Blast template to threaten Troops, and with a Hammer a Solodin can threaten Vehicles.  You get a lot of backfield disruption.  Just have to make sure you have some kind of backfield units of your own, since the 5-man Paladin squad will likely march up the board.

For example:

Draigo

5 Purifiers (2 Psycannons, Rhino)
5 Purifiers (2 Psycannons, Rhino)

5 Paladins (2 Hammers & Psycannons, 2 Halbreds)
Solodin (Hammer)
Solodin (Hammer)
Solodin (Hammer)
Solodin (Hammer)
Solodin (Hammer)

Psifleman Dread
Psifleman Dread

Is 1495 points.

Vecuu
Henchmen
Henchmen

Number of posts : 94
Army : Tyranids, Grey Knights
Registration date : 2012-01-02

Grey knight
stats:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DonFer on Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:19 pm

Yeah, I mean from the theoretical point of view, Solodins should be hard to kill, very mobile and easy to hide, they deep strike and scatter is simply not an annoyance at all. Give them good CC power and they´ll tie up any unit for a long time. I really was considering using one or two tops, until I saw the list in a video from the ETC guy, that was something like:

Draigo
Mordrak+5Ghosts
6x Solodins
3x Dreadknights with sword and Incin I think

Very weird list if you ask me, but it went to win quite a lot of matches, including Daemons, chaos an a couple of Necrons if I'm not mistaken. Surely, matchups could have helped, but to be that lucky with them is something I tend not to consider. I'm not trying to copy the list, but I'm trying to understand what is the strategy behind the use of 6 solodins in an environment where massive armored/flying troops are the norm.

DonFer
Terminator
Terminator

Grey knight
stats:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by first strike on Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:48 am

This list will struggle to kill flyers, but killing everything the opp has is not the name of the game, most flyers will have a hard time against them and they will only be killing one man a turn if that (you still have to fail your cover or armour save normaly twice). Everything scores, and has a 2+ save and an inv save. You just kill what you need to win. Grind out a victory or just go for a draw.

first strike
Grey Knight
Grey Knight

Number of posts : 409
Army : Grey Knights, Eldar, Space Wolves, High Elf
Registration date : 2012-02-08

Grey knight
stats:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DonFer on Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:11 am

Excellent points Brother, this list focuses on weak points of the opponent and capitalizes on that. Interesting concept on how to run Paladins. All of your units are very hard to kill and all score.

I certainly lack the tactical mind to move a force like this on the table, but I get curious on the final stantdings. He was the best ranked GK player in ETC. So besides being one hell of a general (which I'm sure he is), the main point is Solodins are actually viable with the right support.

I like borther Veccu's idea of a list, which is something similar to what was I cosidering. Any ideas to add o that list?

DonFer
Terminator
Terminator

Grey knight
stats:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rion on Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:40 am

If your going for around 1750-2000pts you can possibly throw in a Stormraven or two.

Rion
Justicar
Justicar

Grey knight
stats:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Vecuu on Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:24 pm

I agree with Brother Rion about the Storm Ravens. They'd offer a solid option for more Anti Vehicle, and, perhaps more importantly, more Anti-Air.

It may be a couple of weeks before I get a chance to try it out with my regular opponent, but I'll try the 1500 point list I wrote against him and write up a battle report. I've been meaning to test something like that for a while. It may be a tad Rock-Paper-Scissors, though, because he has been experimenting with his own take on Farsight Bomb.

Whenever I get around to it, I'll post a link to the Batrep.

Vecuu
Henchmen
Henchmen

Number of posts : 94
Army : Tyranids, Grey Knights
Registration date : 2012-01-02

Grey knight
stats:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 7:42 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top