Falchion Fury

:: Tactica

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Falchion Fury

Post by Odatria on Fri Jun 21, 2013 3:54 pm

Has anyone ever experimented with a list taking a lot of falchions? I know they are generally considered expensive, but if you use them in large amounts on the right units, ie those where they are cheapest, on paper you end up with an army that can dish out a lot of attacks for it's size. I'm thinking along the lines of Crowe leading a core of medium to large sized Purifier squads in dedicated transports, with falchions on every member including the Justicars, and a large ten man terminator squad deep striking with all falchions and the brotherhood banner (5 attacks each on the charge!) - all backed up by a Purgation squad of Psycannons and a Dreadnought or two for firepower support. What do you think, has anybody tried similar?

Odatria
Stormtrooper
Stormtrooper

Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2013-05-23

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Falchion Fury

Post by Constantine on Fri Jun 21, 2013 6:27 pm

Comes down to play style and your gaming community in my opinion. You are committing to close combat, and I would guess that you will want to be careful about who you are going up against

+++"There is nothing in the arcane and blasphemous arsenal of the forces of Chaos that can compare to faith. With the power of faith, our weapons become shining instruments of deliverance that can cleave the mightiest daemon in twain. With the power of faith, our minds appear as slivers of pure agony to the daemon, driving into the wretched forms of those who would dare stand before us. With the power of faith, our words become commands that cause the daemon to cower and cringe in terror. I could meet my enemies unarmed without a shred of fear in my chest, for I know that the Emperor watches over me and guides my hand. So let them come. We shall show them what the power of faith can do."+++ (Brother Captain Stern)

Constantine
Adeptus Moderatus
Adeptus Moderatus

Number of posts : 5790
Army : Grand Master Mordrak's Brotherhood, Deathwing...Pretty much any first company! I LOVE terminators!!!
Registration date : 2008-05-26

Grey knight
stats:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Aubec le noir on Sat Jun 22, 2013 2:55 am

unfortunately the 6th edition is very shooting directed, so achieving to get in cc is very hard ! Twisted Evil
and Falchions are very expensive for what they do ! affraid
Aubec pirat

Aubec le noir
Adeptus Moderatus
Adeptus Moderatus

Number of posts : 3638
Army : 40K : GK (curious isn't it ;-) ) WHB : Dwarfs, Ogres, Mercs
Registration date : 2009-11-01

Grey knight
stats:

View user profile http://lacompagniephoenix.bb-fr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by meecham63 on Sat Jun 22, 2013 8:52 am

Against CC armies, like tyranids, it could be interesting and offers epic CC rounds !

But againt heavy shooting armies, like necrons , tau or Dark Angels, you might be wiped out before reaching CC. If you want to do so, deep strike, teleport and Faith in the Emperor would help Wink

meecham63
Henchmen
Henchmen

Number of posts : 110
Army : Chaos Space Marines, Tyranids and Grey Knights
Registration date : 2013-04-26

Grey knight
stats:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Odatria on Sat Jun 22, 2013 10:09 am

It is not something I am building or playing, my actual list is in the Sector Command area of the forum, but I like experimenting with ideas other people don't usually try. So against other combat armies it could be effective?

Odatria
Stormtrooper
Stormtrooper

Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2013-05-23

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Constantine on Sat Jun 22, 2013 10:21 am

I think the answer is "it depends" focusing purely on CC is putting all of your eggs in one basket and is not the best of strategies, but still may work from time to time.

Balance is the key. Not that I am one to talk, given that I only use Terminators! LOL Razz
This thread makes me think of the Eldar as an example of what I am saying. That army has viscous units both for long range and CC, together they are strong, alone they are weak.

As Brother Aubec and Meech have said: Bringing a knife (or falchion in this case) to a gun fight, might not be the best idea.

I love the way you are brainstorming these list ideas Brother Odatria, keep them coming. Have you thought about any background fluff for such as list? I am rather partial to fluff myself studycheers

+++"There is nothing in the arcane and blasphemous arsenal of the forces of Chaos that can compare to faith. With the power of faith, our weapons become shining instruments of deliverance that can cleave the mightiest daemon in twain. With the power of faith, our minds appear as slivers of pure agony to the daemon, driving into the wretched forms of those who would dare stand before us. With the power of faith, our words become commands that cause the daemon to cower and cringe in terror. I could meet my enemies unarmed without a shred of fear in my chest, for I know that the Emperor watches over me and guides my hand. So let them come. We shall show them what the power of faith can do."+++ (Brother Captain Stern)

Constantine
Adeptus Moderatus
Adeptus Moderatus

Army : Grand Master Mordrak's Brotherhood, Deathwing...Pretty much any first company! I LOVE terminators!!!

Grey knight
stats:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by SmokinBrown on Sat Jun 22, 2013 7:37 pm

I've used falchions with a librarian and quicksilver to devastating effect. 5 attacks each on the charge with a banner and striking at I10 is brutal, but harder to pull off compared to using halberds.

SB

SmokinBrown
Grey Knight
Grey Knight

Number of posts : 251
Army : Grey Knights, Necrons, The Empire
Registration date : 2011-05-09

Grey knight
stats:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DonFer on Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:22 pm

Problem is low initiative. Against CC monsters and specializaed CC units no ammount of attacks will stop them form striking first and killing everything in their path. Falchions should stay in Titan, for practice.

DonFer
Terminator
Terminator

Number of posts : 1398
Registration date : 2010-10-21

Grey knight
stats:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Constantine on Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:11 pm

Would Paladins with falchions address the initiative concern due to their extra wound making them last long enough to hit back?

Constantine
Adeptus Moderatus
Adeptus Moderatus

Grey knight
stats:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DonFer on Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:49 pm

Perhaps, but then again you can give them halberds, and avoid being wounded...

DonFer
Terminator
Terminator

Number of posts : 1398
Registration date : 2010-10-21

Grey knight
stats:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rion on Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:37 pm

I'd say a unit that's getting buddy buddy with a Libby with Quicksilver would make great use of Falchions as well as a Brotherhood Banner. But my stipulation to that is NOT the whole unit. A few guys here and there. But that's just me. I like the +1 Invul brought about by the swords. So I can look Powerfists in the face and say "HIT ME!" That and the fact swords are free.

Rion
Justicar
Justicar

Number of posts : 625
Army : Grey Knights, Knights Camlann (Space Marine)
Registration date : 2012-03-30

Grey knight
stats:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 7:43 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top