Assaulting from reserves???

:: Tactica

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Assaulting from reserves???

Post by SmokinBrown on Sun May 19, 2013 10:37 am

I stumbled upon a... loophole? If anyone can point to a ruling in the book/FAQ/errata that disproves/disallows this, please point it out because this is definitely not Rules as Intended (RAI), but may be allowed following Rules as Written (RAW) through the following method....

If a Stormraven arrives from reserves it can elect to enter play in hover mode. If it only moves the 6" then an embarked unit is allowed to disembark. In the reserves chapter, page 125, a paragraph reads in bold "Unless otherwise stated, a unit cannot charge.... in the turn it arrives from reserve". Whilst in the special rules section under the rule "Assault Vehicle" the paragraph reads "Passengers disembarking from access points on a vehicle with this special rule can charge in the turn they do so, even if the vehicle was destroyed".

Now, it seems that the reserves rule (RAW) allows a unit to charge if they are given permission from another rule, which in this situation takes the form of the Assault Vehicle rule. I know the reserves rule is referring to rules such as Heroic Intervention which do allow a unit to assault on the turn they arrive, and that RAI is not meaning to refer to the Assault Vehicle rule. I wouldn't ever try and do this, cos I think it would just start arguments, but do you guys think it would be allowed on a RAW basis? or is there something more I'm missing?

SB

SmokinBrown
Grey Knight
Grey Knight

Number of posts : 251
Army : Grey Knights, Necrons, The Empire
Registration date : 2011-05-09

Grey knight
stats:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Assaulting from reserves???

Post by Tiberius on Sun May 19, 2013 10:53 am

Quoting a posted rule on Dakkadakka:

Page 124. Arriving from Reserve, second to last para

"If for some reason a model's maximum move is insufficient to fit the entire model onto the board, or it becomes Immobilized itself whilst moving onto the board, place the model so that its rear end is touching the board edge - the model cannot move further during the Movement phase, nor may it shoot, Run or move Flat Out."

Since the Stormraven is more than 6" long, you'd have to move further than 6" which in turn forces you to use Skies of Fury to disembark. That rule, in turn, denies the disembarking unit the ability to charge. Sadly, no assaulting out of ravens during their arrival round. Crying or Very sad

Tiberius
Henchmen
Henchmen

Number of posts : 159
Army : Daemonhunters -No Way!-, Necrons, Ultramarines, A minor Tau Force
Registration date : 2009-12-28

Grey knight
stats:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by SmokinBrown on Sun May 19, 2013 11:05 am

I just went and played with my Stormraven, and it is actually possible to fit the entire model onto the board. The base is less than 6" long so if you were just using the base then thats easy enough, but if you move it forwards 6" and then rotate it roughly 120 degrees there is no part of the stormraven which could be considered off the board.

SB

SmokinBrown
Grey Knight
Grey Knight

Grey knight
stats:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jay170788 on Mon May 20, 2013 1:49 am

But a flyer cannot enter the board in hover mode and thus must travel the minimum move of 18" of a flyer.

It can only choose to hover once it is on the table, and so no assaulting on turn of arrival.

jay170788
Henchmen
Henchmen

Number of posts : 77
Army : GK & Fire Lords Marines
Registration date : 2011-10-07

Grey knight
stats:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by SmokinBrown on Mon May 20, 2013 2:32 am

Page 81 BRB, bottom right, "Hover Type". Middle paragraph second sentence states "this means that, if the flyer arrives from reserve, you must declare which type of movement it is using before placing it on the board"

SB

SmokinBrown
Grey Knight
Grey Knight

Grey knight
stats:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jay170788 on Mon May 20, 2013 6:04 am

Hmm maybe i am wrong then.... haven't got the BRB on me but will have to check that

jay170788
Henchmen
Henchmen

Number of posts : 77
Army : GK & Fire Lords Marines
Registration date : 2011-10-07

Grey knight
stats:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 4:54 am