Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Land Raider Removal

5 posters

:: Tactica

Go down

Land Raider Removal Empty Land Raider Removal

Post by jay170788 Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:14 am

Hi there guys we are currently playing a campaign in my local gaming group and my next mission is 1500pts The Scouring. I will either be facing MC heavy tyranids or lascannon heavy CSM with maybe a drake.

Now my questions to you guys is what is the best way for us to remove a Land Raider and maybe even preds toting lascannons? I only have 1 mortis dread and am not a fan of proxying so one of those will die before doing any damage to those.

I was thinking couple of monkeys on a bastion with coteaz and an icarus but even then 3 lascannon shots may not do enough damage even with prescience. any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
jay170788
jay170788
Henchmen
Henchmen

Number of posts : 77
Army : GK & Fire Lords Marines
Registration date : 2011-10-07

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Land Raider Removal Empty Re: Land Raider Removal

Post by jb317 Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:09 am

Do you have a Dreadknight? If so, these things are ridiculously good at killing vehicles, especially when equipped with a sword for the penetration re-rolls and a teleporter.

To get rid of a big threat like a land raider early I would blow my shunt to get in close but out of LoS. Next turn you can move 12'' right over whatever terrain you were using to block LoS. I'm assuming the board isn't too large that you wouldn't be able to make a turn 2 assault (up to 12'' into your deployment + 30'' shunt + 12'' move in the second turn = 54'' not even taking into account your Turn 2 assault move).

Another option is a Vindicare Assassin. With AP1 to modify the pen table roll (which is almost guaranteed with Turbo Penetrator rounds) these are another good, if risky, bet... if they can survive long enough to get a shot off. Infiltrate him out of long range threat into some ruins for a 3+ cover save and you should be okay for at least one turn.

Edit: a Storm Raven fitted with a multi-melta. You can use PotMS to target other units with the SR's weapons that would be ineffective against the LR.

jb317
Henchmen
Henchmen

Number of posts : 105
Registration date : 2012-12-31

Back to top Go down

Post by jay170788 Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:44 am

I'm running a stormraven in the list with multi-melta and lascannons for MC/Tank hunting but their reliability is iffy when relying on reserve rolls, plus the possibility of interceptor and vector strikes from his drake.

Yes i am running the NDK with the Sword and PT so that will be my priority getting him in close to the LR but getting my NDK out of LOS is not an easy thing when he normally rolls with a LR, Pred and Havoc squad all wielding lascannons. He has learnt to deal with the NDK first and foremost.

But if he draws enough fire to let my Terminator hammers and Multi-melta/lascannon raven get close.
jay170788
jay170788
Henchmen
Henchmen

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by jb317 Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:54 am

I roll with 2 NDK's, generally one on each extreme flank. In my last half dozen games I don't recall both of them going down in the same game. With T6 to avoid instagib and a 2+/5++ with 4 wounds I've found they can take a HUGE amount of punishment.

In my experience they fall quicker to massed plasma fire than they do to lascannons shots.

If you run with a GM you can give the NDK Scouting which will add an extra 12'' movement first turn, this could be pivotal for avoiding the first turn lascannon volleys.

jb317
Henchmen
Henchmen

Back to top Go down

Post by jay170788 Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:11 am

Our mission is actually a play on the scouring mission whereby every objective can be moved much like the relic mission in the rulebook. For this reason i was planning to give my psyback's scout to try claim a couple objectives turn 2 ready to start heading back to the safety of my guns.
jay170788
jay170788
Henchmen
Henchmen

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by jb317 Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:51 am

I can't check the rules at the moment, but is it possible to confer Grand Strategy onto Dedicated Transport?

jb317
Henchmen
Henchmen

Back to top Go down

Post by volvoe Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:19 am

@jb317

I'm afraid not. The codex specifically states what units can be nominated.
volvoe
volvoe
Henchmen
Henchmen

Number of posts : 223
Army : Purifier Variant
Registration date : 2012-04-06

Back to top Go down

Post by jb317 Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:23 am

I didn't think so. Thank you Volvoe

jb317
Henchmen
Henchmen

Back to top Go down

Post by jay170788 Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:34 am

you wouldn't give it the transports but the units inside, but just re-read and you can't give it to henchmen which has scuppered that plan so it could be a librarian after all...
jay170788
jay170788
Henchmen
Henchmen

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by kjhome Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:14 am

I have taken out landraiders with psycannons from my paladins it's a little hard, but can be done. The preds , out so much. Of course, LoS is crucial, especially if going second.

kjhome
Stormtrooper
Stormtrooper

Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2012-12-24

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by volvoe Mon Apr 29, 2013 3:51 pm

Well this might be a little late, but you could always consider running monkies! With coteaz/inquisitor, you could get re-rolling lascannons for 35 points.
volvoe
volvoe
Henchmen
Henchmen

Number of posts : 223
Army : Purifier Variant
Registration date : 2012-04-06

Back to top Go down

Post by jay170788 Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:35 am

yeah i ran those in my last battle against him but worried about them this time as i had no bastion / aegis.

Well had my battle last night opted for the vindicare. His total for the battle was as follows:-

First turn - blew up a predator
Second turn - Weapon destroyed on a rhino filled with chosen :-(
Third Turn - Blew up the land raider cheers
Fourth turn - removed the invulnerable save from Abaddon

Opponents fifth turn he finally died from an unsaved lascannon from on top of the bastion.
jay170788
jay170788
Henchmen
Henchmen

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Aubec le noir Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:46 am

Vindicare is a tough and efficient guy isn't he ?! Twisted Evil
nice score... did you win ?
Aubec pirat
Aubec le noir
Aubec le noir
Adeptus Moderatus
Adeptus Moderatus

Number of posts : 3745
Army : 40K : GK (curious isn't it ;-) ) WHB : Dwarfs, Ogres, Mercs
Registration date : 2009-11-01

Grey knight
stats:

http://lacompagniephoenix.bb-fr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by jay170788 Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:38 am

Nope we drew, on the six scouring objectives my side had 2,2,1.

It was tough from there on really as my means of getting across the board quick were my henchmen against psybacks, his lascannons killed those quick so it was a slog across but well worth the effort, it was a great game which we both really enjoyed, he almost grabbed it in the last turn as his cultist went to make a last dash for the objective but my heavy incinerator flamed them so they were 5" from the objective :-)
jay170788
jay170788
Henchmen
Henchmen

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content