Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UK Tournament Tactica Diary - Now using a Draigowing

+10
Souba
Omenos
jb317
Tiberius
jay170788
Vecuu
DonFer
Rivan
DOMIN4TRIX
Embolden40k
14 posters

:: Tactica

Page 3 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

UK Tournament Tactica Diary - Now using a Draigowing  - Page 3 Empty Re: UK Tournament Tactica Diary - Now using a Draigowing

Post by DOMIN4TRIX Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:29 pm

so 510pts for 1 HQ, 1 Troop, interceptor Broadside's and a Riptide fully kitted out?

Where does the Riptide fit into the FOC? I'm assuming Elite or is it Support?
DOMIN4TRIX
DOMIN4TRIX
Justicar
Justicar

Number of posts : 642
Army : Knights, Nids and Necs
Registration date : 2011-08-09

Grey knight
stats:

http://corpointdeux.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

UK Tournament Tactica Diary - Now using a Draigowing  - Page 3 Empty Re: UK Tournament Tactica Diary - Now using a Draigowing

Post by DonFer Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:33 pm

Riptide is Elites Choice. Broadsides are Heavy Support Choices (you can take up to three per slot.)
Perhaps for more punch one can take Farsight and up to 7 additional Crisis Suits.
DonFer
DonFer
Terminator
Terminator

Number of posts : 1398
Registration date : 2010-10-21

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by DOMIN4TRIX Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:40 pm

Perfect - I like the idea of a suit / walker army

I think that a good flyer defense on the table from the start may prove more effective than having a good flyer - you get more turns out of them.

@ Donfer - Farsight - love the model that's an interesting thought.

@ Embolden:
As for advice I haven't read the new codex yet so i'm relying on your battle report to inform me.
DOMIN4TRIX
DOMIN4TRIX
Justicar
Justicar

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by DonFer Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:10 pm

Yeah, I love that new model too.

@ Embolden: I will be waiting for your BatRep Borther. I'm much intrigued to see how GK stand against TAU. We are certaily outmatched in Shooting but we can handle assault just fine. I reckon, focus fire on the troops and handle battlesuits with Dreadknight and Dreads.

Good luck!
DonFer
DonFer
Terminator
Terminator

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Embolden40k Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:00 pm

DonFer wrote:Tau allies will for certain be viable for us GK. I intend to get them for sky superiority. Broadsides, Commander with Crisis and 1 Riptide can be really nice against flyers.

I think this will be the best choice as allies, I've got a tau army at my parents house, so when I travel back in a couple of weeks I should be able to pick up the models I want/need! tongue

DOMIN4TRIX wrote:Perfect - I like the idea of a suit / walker army
I think that a good flyer defense on the table from the start may prove more effective than having a good flyer - you get more turns out of them.
@ Donfer - Farsight - love the model that's an interesting thought.
@ Embolden:
As for advice I haven't read the new codex yet so i'm relying on your battle report to inform me.

I've been talking to my mate and his list is looking like:

Commander, Plasma, missile, Iridium armour, Drone controller, Advanced targeting system
2 x Bodyguard, Plasma, Missile, Target lock
5 x Marker drones, 1 shield drone
Darkstrider
2 x Firewarrior squads (12) Shas'ui, Markerlight and target lock
1 x Firewarrior Squad (6)
XV104 Riptide, SMS, Ion Accelerator, Early warning override
XV8 Crisis suit team (2) TL fusion blaster, Target Lock
XV8 Crisis suit team (1) TL Flamer, Air fragmation Projector, Onagar guantlet
Razorshark, Missile, Decoy launcher
Pathfinders (10) Pulse accelerator, 3 Ion rifles
Pathfinders (6) 3 Rail rifles, Devilfish, Recon drone
Hammerhead, Railgun, Distruption pods, longstrike
Broadside unit (2) Velocity tracker

Plenty of stuff to take out the Storm Raven when it arrives, so I have to flood the tau lines with stuff, the Dreadknight looks like it take out Tau troops with impunity, unless it gets intercepted to death! So I have to hope everything arrives in one go.

Should be an interesting game against a new foe!

Embolden40k
Embolden40k
Henchmen
Henchmen

Number of posts : 104
Army : Grey Knights, Eldar
Registration date : 2012-09-10

Grey knight
stats:

http://embolden40k.blogspot.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by Embolden40k Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:07 pm

Right my mate is due over in a couple of minutes, so let battle commence!! Wish me luck! :p
Embolden40k
Embolden40k
Henchmen
Henchmen

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by DonFer Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:28 pm

Good luck and errr.... kill them all! Razz
DonFer
DonFer
Terminator
Terminator

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Rivan Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:15 pm

Good luck and looking forward to the report!
Rivan
Rivan
Adeptus Moderatus
Adeptus Moderatus

Number of posts : 4404
Army : Grey Knights 7th Brotherhood, Salamanders
Registration date : 2009-03-05

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Embolden40k Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:55 pm

Cheers for the good luck messages!

But did they make a difference???

Just writing up the report now!!
Embolden40k
Embolden40k
Henchmen
Henchmen

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Embolden40k Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:57 am

Hey guys!

So I played my fourth game with my list, this time against the new Tau codex!

I am would be using my usual list:

OMI Terminator Armour, Psycannon, Hammer, Psyker, 1 Servo Skull
OMI Terminator Armour, Psycannon, Hammer, Psyker
2x10 Strikes 2 Psycannons
1x10 Terminators, 2 Psycannons, 6 Halberds, 4 Hammers
Storm Raven TL Lascannon and Multimelta
2 Dreadnoughts 2 Autocannons, Psybolt Ammo
Dreadknight Heavy Incinerator

My opponent would be using:

Commander, Plasma, missile, Iridium armour, Drone controller, Advanced targeting system
1 Marker drones, 1 shield drone
Darkstrider
3 x Firewarrior squads (Cool Shas'ui, Markerlight and target lock
XV104 Riptide, SMS, Ion Accelerator, Early warning override, Advanced targeting system
XV8 Crisis suit team (2) TL fusion blaster, Target Lock, bonding knife ritual
XV8 Crisis suit team (2) Plasma, Missile, Target lock, 4 x Marker drones
Razorshark, Missile, Decoy launcher
Pathfinders (10) Pulse accelerator, 3 Rail rifles, Devilfish SMS, Recon drone
Pathfinders (4) 3 Ion rifles
Hammerhead, Railgun, Distruption pods, Blacksun filter, Longstrike
Broadside unit High yield missiles(1) Velocity tracker
Broadside unit Heavy Rail rifle(1) Early warning override

So my thoughts on the list, its troops look a little vulnerable and very immobile, so with clever objective placement I would make it very hard for the Tau to win purely on objectives. This list is packing plenty of high number shot and plenty of Plasma, the Riptide will cause all sorts of issues if it’s deployed right (where the Terminators cannot get to grips with it!).

So lets see what the Tau can do!

Mission: Relic, Dawn of War deployment:

Warlord Traits:
Tau Commander – re-rolls of 1 when shooting within 12” (1 use only)
GK OMI – can choose nightfight or not (Not due to the Tau mostly having built in nightfight or given blacksun filters)

Psychic Powers:
OMI (Warlord) – Ignore cover
OMI – Prescience

Deployment:
Tau win the roll for board sides and they choose the flank with 3 ruins in, so I place the Servo Skull about 6” back and to the right from the Relic.

I win the roll for first turn and take it!

I start by deploying the Terminators centrally and they don’t combat squad (thanks to the Psychic powers) along with both Razorbacks, with a combat squaded Strikes squads in each, the other half of the Strikes will deep strike in along with the Dreadknight, the Dreads deploy on either flank, with the Storm Raven in reserve.

Tau deploy with 2 squads of Fire Warriors opposite the relic in the ruin, with the Broadsides and Commander which joins the Battlesuit team with Plasma/Missile and Markerlights, on my right flank deploys a Fire Warrior squad and the Hammerhead, with the Riptide deploying waaay back on the left flank. Darkstrider and the 10 Pathfinders in Devilfish outflank, the Fusion gun armed Battlesuits deep strike and the 4 Pathfinders infiltrate down the right flank.

UK Tournament Tactica Diary - Now using a Draigowing  - Page 3 Th_P1000141_zpsabab4e1b

Turn1
Tau don’t seize!

GK
I bomb forward with the first razorback and it pivots onto the relic! Then pops smoke, the second Razorback immobilises itself on terrain (3rd game running turn1 immobilise lol), the Terminators move 3” through difficult terrain, shooting, the Dreads then open up into both single Broadsides, but both pass 3 saves each, the Heavy bolter from the immobilised Razorback fires into the Fire Warriors on the ground floor and kills none.

UK Tournament Tactica Diary - Now using a Draigowing  - Page 3 Th_P1000147_zpse127e902

Tau
The Commander and the battle suits with attached Marklight drones (from here on out referred to as the “Command squad” for ease), jumps round the base of the ruin in the centre, the Hammerhead gets LOS to the Dread on the left flank. Shooting phase and the Command squad marker lights the Terminators and then destroys the Razorback (no explosion, but I’ve lost firstblood!), the Riptide kills 3 Terminators with a large blast, the Fire Warriors all fire in to the Terminators and everything bounces off, the Hammerhead fails to scratch the Dread.

Turn2

GK
Casting Prescience and Ignore cover on the Terminators, I get both Strike squads deep striking in both within 12” of the Servo skull, so don’t scatter much, the Dreadknight lands out of LOS to the Riptide and next to a Fire Warrior squad. The Strikes on the relic pick it up, the Terminators only move 3” through the wood, the Terminators open the shooting phase and they are in range of the Fire Warrior squad in the ruin a head of them, with ignore cover, the Fire warrior squad is wiped out to a man! The Dreadknight flames the Fire Warriors on the ground floor and removes 6 out of 8! The Dread on the left flank then instant kills the Rail rifle Broadside! Both Strikes that deep striked in fire into the small Pathfinder team on my right flank, but can only kill 1!

Tau
Rolling for reserves, the Devilfish full Pathfinders and Darkstrider these arrived on my left flank, these then move into cover around the Dreadnought and the Razorshark flyer also arrives and moves down my left flank. The Command squad jumps back out from the ruin and down towards the right flank, shooting, the Riptide overcharges it’s Ion Accelerator and wounds itself, the Marklights then light up the terminators, the Razorshark and Riptide light them up with Ap2 and high strength weaopns, killing 5. The Devilfish strips another hull point from the immobilised Razorback, the Pathfinders then take out the Dreadnought on the left flank with it’s 3 Railrifles and a couple of pulse carbines. In the centre the Command squad rapid fires plasma to take out the Dreadknight, over on the right flank the Fire Warriors in the ruin shot up a squad of Strikes and removed 2 guys, the hammerhead missed a Terminator. The Command squad slides towards the left flank.

Turn3

GK
I’m running out of stuff here, but this is a single objective game, Vince will get linebreaker from Pathfinders, but he only has 1 scoring unit left, its a long way away, I want to take out a big threat to the Storm Raven which arrives from reserve on the left flank, the OMIs cast both powers then proceed towards the relic, the squad on the relic moves it into cover, both other squads move out of LOS to the Command squad and within 18” of the Razorshark. Shooting all it takes is the OMIs Psycannons which roll a staggering 5 hits and 4 pens which it cannot jink (ignore cover), with that success the Storm Raven switches target and shoots into the Riptide, which saves 1 of the 2 saves it’s forced to make. The other Strikes are out of range of everything, so run towards the Fire Warriors on the right flank.

UK Tournament Tactica Diary - Now using a Draigowing  - Page 3 Th_P1000154_zps22fcafea

UK Tournament Tactica Diary - Now using a Draigowing  - Page 3 Th_P1000157_zps5b64ee9e

TAU
Now in the ascendancy, the Fusion gun toting Battlesuits stay in reserve, the Riptides moves forwards, as does the Missile toting Broadside, the Command squads jumps towards my left flank, marker lights then light up the squad on the relic and remaining Terminators, the shooting phase starts with the Riptide overheating again (down to 2 wounds now), then it takes out 2 Terminators, the OMI makes it’s Inv save! The Devilfish on the left flank takes out the immobilised Razorback, then the pathfinders kill 3 guys inside, the Command squad tries to light up the Storm Raven but misses with all the Markerlights, then the Missile Toting Broadside shoots at the Storm Raven, gets 3 hits, I choose not to Jink, 1 hits gets a pen and then follows the inevitable 6! The Command squad then jumps forwards down my left flank.

Turn4

GK
Now things are getting desperate!
Both OMIs join a squad of Strikes in by the relic, after casting both powers, the relic is moved slightly, at this point I’m just trying to stave off the inevitable! But I make a crucial mistake.. I fire the Strikes with both OMIs at the Fire Warriors on the right flank, removing the unit (yay ignore cover!), but I will get back to that mistake later, the rest of my shooting does nothing of note as the Pathfinders are sitting about 35” away, the Dread fires at the Devilfish stripping 2 Hullpoints (glances).

UK Tournament Tactica Diary - Now using a Draigowing  - Page 3 Th_P1000160_zps2c819b9d

TAU
The fusion gun toting battlesuits land about 10” away from the Dreadnought on the right flank, the Command squad jumps round the Razorback hiding the squad with relic, the Pathfinders move forwards as does the Riptide, shooting starts with the Pathfinders getting a couple of Marklight hits on the relic squad, the Command squads Marklights light up the OMIs squad, the Riptide then overheats again!! (1wound left!), then removes the squad in the relic! The Command squad then kills all but 1 of the Strikes, the Dread is then exploded by the Battlesuits fusion guns.

UK Tournament Tactica Diary - Now using a Draigowing  - Page 3 Th_P1000166_zps04b45a14

Turn5

GK
My goose is cooked! Only 1 scoring model left and no way of winning on secondary, I fight on though, the 1 strike jumps on the relic, the OMIs go 2 seperate ways, 1 towards the Fusion gun battle suits, the other towards the command squad, the Warlord OMIs opens up on the Fusiongun Battlesuits and takes a wound off, the other Shoots at the Command squad killing 1 Battlesuit and a couple of markerlight drones, leaving a 7” charge, assault the OMI charges the 3” gap to the Fusion battlesuits, killing 1 on the charge, the battlesuit misses it’s STR10 attack and passed moral, the other OMI fails charge! Got a 4...

UK Tournament Tactica Diary - Now using a Draigowing  - Page 3 Th_P1000164_zpse2e05ea8

Tau
For the tabling... the Command squad marklights the lone guy on the relic, then the Riptides takes him out, the Command squad then fires at the OMI and kills him, the Gauntlet misses the Warlord OMI and it hills the last Battlesuit and consolidates towards the Command squad.

Just for laughs we roll to see if the game goes on, it does!

Turn6

The OMI moves towards the Command squad and kills a Battlesuit with it’s Psycannon, then is taken out by the Riptide!!

Game over, tabled, a 3-0 loss

So that hurt! So where did it go wrong?

1) My Target priority was totally wrong, that Command squad was so nasty, it was markerlighting a unit, then the Riptide would remove it.

2) Markerlights – these need to be taken out ASAP, they prevent your army from getting any sort of cover! On the Commanders unit, they’re hitting on 2’s using his BS5. It wasn’t till after the game I realised how great they really are, stripping cover makes the rest of the army work, the better BS is just a little bonus compared to that ability.

3) Riptide – it was a constant threat all game, it basically killed 10 Terminators on its own with its large blast, then fired its 3 shot AP2 weapon mode to pick off my weakened units. My opponent made a mistake over charging it every turn, it didn’t need too! Working in unison with the Markerlights made the Riptide so much more effective!

4) Commander + Battlesuits – these things are so nasty, but were quite vulnerable to Psycannons and STR8 autocannons, so I think the Dreads and Terminators will go into those next time, taking out the Marklights and the Command squads Plasma/Missiles will drastically reduce the armies effectiveness and give me Warlord.

5) Firstblood – in missions like Relic and Emperors Will, Firstblood is so important, so not getting it cost me, I threw 5 troop units into trying to capture the Relic, but in the end the Tau army was able to clear them all, I didn’t get any secondary objectives either.

Plenty of things to work on next time thats for sure! I rate my overall performance as extremely poor! But there were a couple of positives, being in control of the relic turn5 and taking out all the Tau troops, so the army has a chance, I just need adjust the target priority. We have a rematch scheduled in just over a week, so stay tuned for that!
Embolden40k
Embolden40k
Henchmen
Henchmen

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Rivan Sun Apr 14, 2013 3:26 pm

Great bat rep and very good read. I think you pretty much covered what you need to adjust for the next game. The Tau units definitely have good synergy so target priority becomes crucial in order to break up that synergy.
Rivan
Rivan
Adeptus Moderatus
Adeptus Moderatus

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Embolden40k Mon Apr 15, 2013 1:29 am

Rivan wrote:Great bat rep and very good read. I think you pretty much covered what you need to adjust for the next game. The Tau units definitely have good synergy so target priority becomes crucial in order to break up that synergy.

Cheers Rivan! Thanks for the kind comments mate!

This is one the reasons I love this hobby, its the challenge of trying to overcome a challenging enemy which keeps the game interesting for me!

Embolden40k
Embolden40k
Henchmen
Henchmen

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Embolden40k Tue Apr 16, 2013 4:08 pm

Two game tonight v Blood Angels and Grey Knights, battle reports to follow tomorrow!
Embolden40k
Embolden40k
Henchmen
Henchmen

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by DOMIN4TRIX Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:58 pm

Great report! Good to know about the Command squad / Riptide combo - they seem a good choice for allies.
DOMIN4TRIX
DOMIN4TRIX
Justicar
Justicar

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Embolden40k Wed Apr 17, 2013 1:26 pm

DOMIN4TRIX wrote:Great report! Good to know about the Command squad / Riptide combo - they seem a good choice for allies.

Thanks for the kind commend Domin4trix, yeah that combo is nasty! There troops are still trash though, so its about finding that balance of shooting the killy stuff while whittling down the scoring stuff!

I have a rematch on tuesday, so expect a battle report later on next week, but first the 2 battle reports from last night... :p game1 is written but I left it on the work pc like a numpty, so that will be up tomorrow morning!

So stay tuned!
Embolden40k
Embolden40k
Henchmen
Henchmen

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Embolden40k Thu Apr 18, 2013 4:15 am

So another game for you guys to mull over!

So my 5th game with the list, I usually like to play 5-10 games before considering changes, but at the moment, I’m extremely happy with how the list has performed to date, although going back a few days, it was my own tactics that really hampered me against the Tau!

On to the game!

I would be using my usual list, but I’ll run through it once again:

OMI Terminator Armour, Psycannon, Hammer, Psyker, 1 Servo Skull
OMI Terminator Armour, Psycannon, Hammer, Psyker
2x10 Strikes 2 Psycannons
1x10 Terminators, 2 Psycannons, 6 Halberds, 4 Hammers
Storm Raven TL Lascannon and Multimelta
2 Dreadnoughts 2 Autocannons, Psybolt Ammo
Dreadknight Heavy Incinerator

This time I’m going up against BA/GK:

Dante
Libby Lvl2 – Shield and Lance
Coteaz
Chaplain – Jump pack
10 Strikes – 2 Psycannons, Psybolt Ammo, Justicar Halberd
5 Sanguinary Guard with a host of Meltapistols? 2+ Armour, 2 Power Axes, 1 Hammer, 1 Banner (+1 Attack)
8 Death Company – Hammer, 2 power/force weapons?
Dreadnought – 2 Autocannons, Psybolt ammo
(gk) Landraider (Godhammer) – Psybolt Ammo
Vindicator – Siege shell

Lets look at the list, well I’ve never faced a list like this before, so it will be a steep learning curve and one I will enjoy for sure. There are a number of things to worry my force, 8 Death Company is nasty! With a metric ton of attacks on the charge, jump infantry with a 2+ save!! But there is a distinct lack of scoring and I can use that to my advantage if I can engage my head in the heat of the moment!

Mission: The Scouring with Vanguard Strike deployment
(Against this army, the Scouring has 6 objectives to fight over)

Objective placement:
1 bottom left, 3 in a triangle in the centre, 1 top right, 1 bottom right

Warlord Traits:
Dante – and this unit counter attack in down deployment zone
OMI – Stealth and Move through cover in ruins

Psychic Powers:
Coteaz: Missfortune, Prescience
Warlord OMI – 4+ Inv save traded in for Prescience
OMI – 4+ Inv save traded in for Prescience
I had a good think about the 4+ Inv save, that Vindicator can extremely nasty, but it’s such a short range I think I can deal with it in this deployment type before I can do any damage., so I elected to go with plan A and Prescience on both OMIs

Deployment:
I lose the roll for sides and was given the side with the ruin with an objective (bottom right) in.

I then win the roll for first turn and elect to go first – I want my flyer on ASAP to go and nuke that Vindicator asap

The Servo skull goes towards the centre of the table

I deployed as so: top right go both Razorbacks with the combat squaded Grey Knight squads, the other halfs of the squads 1 goes bottom right in the ruin, the other goes bottom left

I combat squad the Terminators (1 Psycannon in each half) each combat squad is joined by a OMI, both squads then deploy infront of the combat squaded Strike squad.

I plan on camping on the objective bottom right with the Strike squad, then with 2 Strike squads to hold the top right objective or there is another objective half way between out deployment zones, while the terminators push for whichever objective is more valuable as there is one bottom left and another central but left. The empty storm raven goes in reserve and the Dreadknight goes in deep strike reserve. I wasn’t sure where to place the Dreads, bottom left seemed tempting, but in the end I settled for 1 going top right and another bottom right.

This is the first time I’ve felt completely happy with a deployment in years! I have a clear plan from the start and don’t feel totally out of my depth! I think I’m starting to get a good grasp of 6th edition (FINALLY) and how to actually win a game during deployment! But lets see how the game goes!

BA/GK deployment
After a great deal of thought the Death Company with attached Chaplain, Dantes joins the Sang Guard and deploy on table and both hide behind a giant hill in his deployment zone, the Strike squad go in the Landraider with Coteaz (which I just realised was illegal), the Vindicator also goes behind the hill, the Dread deploys on the hill, but has cover, the libby then joins the Sang Guard.

After not seizing I go first

But we reveal the objectives
Bottom left = 2pts
Middle (closest to me) = 1pt
Bottom right = 3pts
Top right = 3pts
Middle (towards top right) = 4pts
Top middle(towards left flank) = 2pts

Does this change things? Well slightly, I have 6pts pretty secure (top and bottom right objectives), the 4pt objective can go either way as it’s between both our armies, I expect the BA/GK to get the top middle left objective, the bottom left objective is still worth achieving, the objective in the centre closest me is only worth 1pt, so I will threaten that with the strikes in the centre just in case things are getting desperate!

GK TURN1
With the BA/GK mainly out of site I concentrate on the objectives and staying away from that Vindicator with a 36” threat range!

With nothing in range I don’t cast Prescience on either Terminator squad.

The Terminators go in separate ways, not wanting to give away warlord, that squad moves and runs back towards the centre of my deployment, the Strikes in the centre follow them, this leaves the terminators bottom left to hold that 2pt objective they move and run left, i’m hoping they can tempt a unit that can threaten the 4pt objective away, rock and hard place springs to mind for my opponent.

Back over to the right flank, the Razorbacks move up and block off the 3pt objective top right and pop smoke, I now have a strong grip on 8VPS worth of objectives.

The Dreads both move to get LOS to the GK Dreadnought on the hill, both then opened up and stripped 2 hull points, one was a weapon destroyed result though between them.

BA/GK TURN1
The Landraider moved towards me 6” along the top of the table, the Vindicator followed suit, Vindicator not in range of anything, the Landraider then opened up into the Razorbacks, the first took a pounding losing 2 HPs and getting stunned, the other lost a HP.

The Dread which remained stationary fired into the battered Razorback but I passed 2 5+ cover saves!

The infantry squads jumped around, but both stayed way behind the hill, the Death Company looked like they were making lining up a move towards the left flank objective.

GK TURN2
I get both the Dreadknight and Storm Raven in from reserve!

I don’t bother casting Prescience on either Terminator squad again.

The Dreadknight lands near the skull, but 7” from the board edge, the Strikes and Terminators, it scatters back towards the board edge 5”, the Storm Raven zooms on 36” to end 12” away from the side armour of the Vindicator.

The Terminators on the left move and run again as they have NO LOS to anything. The Terminators now in the centre move and run up to support the Razorbacks, but they are in range of the Vindicator if the Storm Raven messes up they are screwed as they bunched to get passed terrain. The Strikes in the centre move into a crater and spread out with a run move.

The Dreads shuffle to get a better LOS to the Vindicator as a contingency

The Razorback that was stunned passes fortitude and move fowards again, the other Razorback moves to give it cover, and itself a 4+ cover save from a ruined wall.

Shooting starts with the Storm Raven which does it’s job and smashes the Vindicator after it fails both shield saves! I then remember Mindstrike missiles and fire into the Sang Guard squad hitting the Libby which fails it’s cover save from auto perils (I wasn’t sure you get a cover save, but couldn’t find the ruling either way), the rest of the blast does no damage.

The Razorbacks then fail to stratch the Dread as it passes 1 cover save, the Dreads are then required to take it’s last HP off.

A better turn, I’ve got firstblood and a wound on the Libby.

BA/GK TURN2
Again the Jump infantry remain on the hill as they Sang Guard and Death Company move onto the hill, staying out of sight to the rest of my force bar the Terminators on the left flank.

The Coteaz casts Prescience on the Strikes and they all jump out the Landraider the Landraider pivots slightly to face the Storm Raven, but trains its Heavy bolter on the Razorback with 1 HP left and thats where the shooting start, it’s shoots and causes a glance, which I save on the Razorback, it’s Lascannons both miss the flyer.

The Strikes they open up into the Storm Raven and cause 2 hits, which I choose not to jink and both cause glances!! The Sang guard all miss with their 5 meltapistols!!! The Dreath company also miss with a couple of shots!

I’m still not 100% sure of victory, but I’m in a strong position, I think this game will depend on a couple of things, the Death Company could smash a Terminator squad without being thinned first and I have a couple of small squads to capture the objective top right, so this game is still in the balance and I cannot left my opponent have an inch!

GK TURN3
I cast Prescience on the Terminators bottom left, they move forwards slighty and open up on the Sang Guard, killing 1

The Storm Raven flies off the table as it doesn’t have a target this turn without going into hover mode and it gives away a VP if killed.

The Dreads move to get LOS and range on the Strike squad, they fire and do zero damage as I only cause 4 wounds between them both....

The Razorbacks are out of range of anything, so pivot to block the objective off and hope to become wrecks.

The Strikes in the centre try a cheeky long shot into Dante who is only a rock on his base so is slighty above the hill, they do a wound (wish I had moved forwards 2 inches to get the whole squad in).

The Terminators in the centre are not in range of anything so move and run in front of the Razorbacks, these have got themselves in a position to capture the 4pt objective on turn5!!!

BA/GK TURN3
With not much in range the army still doesn’t come out to play...

The Sang Guard jump down from the hill and the Death Company take their place....
The Strikes move to get out of LOS to my army (I would literally have to walk round the hill to get LOS to anything!)

The Landraider is the only thing to fire, so it moves forwards and pops the Razorback on 1 HP (but it’s a wreck, the squad spills onto the objective) and I save the 1 cover on the other Razorback.

GK TURN4
The Razorback moves to block LOS to the squad that has spilled out onto the objective.

The Terminators on the left flank have Prescience cast on them and they move forward a couple of inches to target the Death Company, the Dreadknight moves forwards slightly, the Terminators then kill 4 Death Company.

The Storm Raven moves on from reserve and fires into the Sang Guard, killing none... the Libby also passed 2 5+ cover saves (wish I’d checked the rules again!)

The Dreads fire into the Landraider and causes no damage as everything bounces off.

BA/GK TURN4
So this is the make or break turn for my opponent as everything reveals itself to my army (not in that way!!! Lol) as they jump from behind this giant hill!, the Death Company land 9” away from the Terminators and the Sang Guard have to land in the open about 14” away. The Sang Guard then run 5” towards the Termiantors now on my right flank

The Landraider moves forwards again (but is still not really close to any of the objectives I’m currently in control of and fires at the Terminators, 1 lascannon misses, and the Heavy Bolter and Lascannon both bounce off the Terminators.

Assault the Death Company attempt at an assault on the Terminators bottom left, they lose a guy to Overwatch, then make the 10” charge with an 11!! The Halberds swing first and kill 3 out of 4, the lone guy kills a Terminator, then gets squished by the Hammers.

GK TURN5
With my opponent on the ropes I want to finish this game off!!!

The Storm Raven moves up in zoom mode towards the Sang Guard, then opens up with the Missiles, Lascannon and Multi-melta, it Perils off the Libby, the Lascannon and Multimelta kill 1 Sang Guard and Dante as he fails the LoS roll and his Inv save!
With Prescience on the Terminators on the right flank, they move onto the 4pt objective, then let rip into the remaining Sang Guard, removing the squad!

The Strikes in the middle move and run onto the 1pt objective

The Strikes in the Razorback dismount from their Razorback to double up on the top right objective

At this point we’re 45mins into the game and my opponent calls it quits as he can only had 1 scoring unit left and they’re on a 2pt objective and not in range of any others.

The game ended on 13VPS (12 from 4 Objectives and Firstblood) – to 2VPS

So what did I learn from this game:

I finally got my deployment right, with a good balance of threats, I think if my opponent had castled on my right flank it would have been a much tougher game! Even though the army with the army in the open I would of only had range with 4 units, 2 Razorbacks and 2 Dreadnoughts, so I wouldn’t of done much! And he would have been on me turn2! But I deployed well and managed to win the game with how I deployed, being able to present a threat on either flank and in the end I think my opponent was to defensive and lost the game because he wasn’t able to present a solid threat on either flank that could win him the game!

Psychic powers – something I’ve not really talked about before on here, having the 2 OMI’s gives me plenty of options, although I’ve rolled quite poor in regards to psychic powers in this game, against the Tau I got Misfortune which was important, combined with a second power from the other OMI which is usually Prescience. Having 2 separate Psykers are also important for flexibility, although I’ve not utilized this much so far, I can pick and choose where the psyker with the most effective power goes! This is defiantly something to try to utilize in future games!

But there wasn’t much time to think and reflect on the game as we still had 2hours left of gaming time, so we agreed to play a second game… battle report to follow!
Embolden40k
Embolden40k
Henchmen
Henchmen

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Rivan Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:14 pm

Very well played Brother. From how I understand the game sequence flowed, you made all the right decisions. Congrats!
Rivan
Rivan
Adeptus Moderatus
Adeptus Moderatus

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Embolden40k Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:23 pm

Rivan wrote:Very well played Brother. From how I understand the game sequence flowed, you made all the right decisions. Congrats!

Cheers once again Rivan, without wanting to sound overly arrogant, I did play the game extremely well, probably one of the first games of 6th I've played where everything I set out to do at deployment and all the way through the game, actually happened!

Embolden40k
Embolden40k
Henchmen
Henchmen

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by DOMIN4TRIX Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:09 pm

Another solid win, well played.

It seems your opponent struggled to get inside your threat range just as you struggled to get into the Tau.

Suprising he didnt deepstrike Dante to either alpha strike you or more likely grab a key objective. With the nerf he gives your warlord he also helps get the assassination VP. A usefull guy.

I've considered Dante and a large jump pack death company more than once - then added it up and had second thoughts!

Whenever I play against landraiders they are normally still fully functional at the end of the game. I think they are stronger in 6th despite popular opinion.

Another great write up, these are really usefull please keep them coming.
DOMIN4TRIX
DOMIN4TRIX
Justicar
Justicar

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Embolden40k Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:27 pm

DOMIN4TRIX wrote:Another solid win, well played.

It seems your opponent struggled to get inside your threat range just as you struggled to get into the Tau.

Suprising he didnt deepstrike Dante to either alpha strike you or more likely grab a key objective. With the nerf he gives your warlord he also helps get the assassination VP. A usefull guy.

I've considered Dante and a large jump pack death company more than once - then added it up and had second thoughts!

Whenever I play against landraiders they are normally still fully functional at the end of the game. I think they are stronger in 6th despite popular opinion.

Another great write up, these are really usefull please keep them coming.

Hey Dom, cheers for your thoughts! Sorry it's taken me a few days to get back to you!

Yeah my opponent make it easier for me to keep him at arms length, which was helped further by objective placement and me wining the board side I wanted/needed!

We played a game 2, which I was going to write up, but I just haven't found the time, but basically he deep struck in, took out 15 Strikes, then his army fell apart from hurrendous fire power from the Terminators and Dreadnoughts, I ended up taking 4 out 5 objectives and won on secondary as well!

I also played another game at the weekend against tripple helldrake fun, I was tabled by turn3!! affraid Basically I came on, managed to kill all but 1 Cultists which held onto the Comms Relay, all 3 Helldrakes came on and took off all the Strikes, the Oblits and DPs took out the Dreadknight and Terminators, the Helldrakes then vector struck and took out the Razorbacks as the DPs flew over and took out the Dreads for a horrendous tabling!

Which has lead me to believe if I want to win a tournament I have to find a away to beat Helldrakes! Which means 2+ armour!

So today I went back to the drawing board and built this list while at work before my game tonight!

Draigo - 275
10 Paladins - 4 MC Psycannons, Apoth - 725
5 Paladins - 2 MC Psycannons - 325
1 Paladin - 55
Dreadknight - Heavy Incinerator, Gatling Psilencer, Teleporter - 270
Dreadknight - Heavy Incinerator, Heavy Psycannon - 200

The plan is simple really, Draigo joins the 10 Paladins and tries to make the Dreadknights scoring, the army is extremely survivable and will basically be all scoring.

I played against Tau with the report to follow tomorrow as it's waaay to late for me to be surfing the net! got to be up at 4am tomorrow!
Embolden40k
Embolden40k
Henchmen
Henchmen

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Embolden40k Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:28 pm

Oh and something in the new FAQ
https://www.games-workshop.com/MEDIA_CustomProductCatalog/m3180055a_Grey_Knights_v1.4_APRIL13.pdf

I don't see that Paladins aren't Characters anymore?? can someone confirm this!?
Embolden40k
Embolden40k
Henchmen
Henchmen

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Souba Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:47 pm

its in the rulebook FAQ/Errata that they arent characters.
Souba
Souba
Brother Captain
Brother Captain

Number of posts : 1602
Army : Inquisitorial Army, Necrons, Dark Eldar, Daemons of Chaos
Registration date : 2009-11-07

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by DOMIN4TRIX Tue Apr 23, 2013 8:31 pm

Embolden40k wrote:
Draigo - 275
1 Paladin - 55

Another option:

Draigo
10 Palladins - 4 psycannon
5 Palladins - 2 psycannon
Dreadknight - heavy incinerator, heavy psycannon

or:

Draigo
OMI - psycannon
10 Palladins - 4 psycannon
10 Terminators - 2 psycannon

or:

Draigo
Dreadknight - heavy incinerator

Just playing with variations on your theme, good luck with the upcoming battles
DOMIN4TRIX
DOMIN4TRIX
Justicar
Justicar

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Embolden40k Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:57 am

Souba wrote:its in the rulebook FAQ/Errata that they arent characters.

And my dreams were crushed once again! scratch

DOMIN4TRIX wrote:
Embolden40k wrote:
Draigo - 275
1 Paladin - 55

Draigo
Dreadknight - heavy incinerator

Just playing with variations on your theme, good luck with the upcoming battles

I really like this list you left as an alternative! Hmm I will have a little think, thats for sure!
Embolden40k
Embolden40k
Henchmen
Henchmen

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Aubec le noir Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:41 am

on remark though ... as i truely LOVE the Draigowing and the use of überelite lists, it's seems to me that the Personal Teleporter will greatly miss to your DKs ! scratch
But frankly i don't know where to find the points... except for the apoth : 1 apoth = 1 PT ! Twisted Evil
Aubec pirat
Aubec le noir
Aubec le noir
Adeptus Moderatus
Adeptus Moderatus

Number of posts : 3745
Army : 40K : GK (curious isn't it ;-) ) WHB : Dwarfs, Ogres, Mercs
Registration date : 2009-11-01

Grey knight
stats:

http://lacompagniephoenix.bb-fr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next