Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

UK Tournament Tactica Diary - Now using a Draigowing

+10
Souba
Omenos
jb317
Tiberius
jay170788
Vecuu
DonFer
Rivan
DOMIN4TRIX
Embolden40k
14 posters

:: Tactica

Page 5 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

UK Tournament Tactica Diary - Now using a Draigowing  - Page 5 Empty Re: UK Tournament Tactica Diary - Now using a Draigowing

Post by zhambah Tue May 07, 2013 8:35 am

I used to take personal, but after continuously getting master of maneuver, I swapped to strategic. but i don't run draigowing. so it really depends on who your warlord is in my opinion. I would take Personal on draigo if i were to run him.

zhambah
Henchmen
Henchmen

Number of posts : 67
Registration date : 2013-03-31

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

UK Tournament Tactica Diary - Now using a Draigowing  - Page 5 Empty Re: UK Tournament Tactica Diary - Now using a Draigowing

Post by Embolden40k Tue May 07, 2013 11:36 am

zhambah wrote:I used to take personal, but after continuously getting master of maneuver, I swapped to strategic. but i don't run draigowing. so it really depends on who your warlord is in my opinion. I would take Personal on draigo if i were to run him.

Very true, the type of Character should depend on the Trait table imo! Good shout out!

As for Draigo when taking a 2nd HQ, I always choose the second HQ choice as Draigo is the one tanking the hits, so is more much likely to die!

Just about to play my first league match, I've packed the camera this time, so should have photos! Very Happy

It's against this DE list:

1850pt Dark Eldar

Archon - Blast Pistol, Combat Drugs, Ghostplate Armour, Huskblade, Plasma Grenades, Shadow field, Soul-trap
Lelith Hesperax

4 Incubi in Venom - Retrofire Jets, Splinter Cannon
5 Trueborn - 3x Shardcarbine, 2x Splinter Cannon in Venom - Flickerfield, Splinter Cannon
4 Trueborn - 4x Blaster in Venom - Flickerfield, Splinter Cannon

10 Kabalite Warriors 1x Splinter Cannon
10 Kabalite Warriors 1x Splinter Cannon in Raider Disintegrator, Nightshield, Splinter Racks
7x Wyches, 1xWych with Wych Weapon, Shardnet and Impaler in Raider - Disintegrator, Retrofire Jets

Ravager - 3 Dark Lances, Nightshield
Ravager - 2 Dark Lances, 1 Disingtergrator Nightshield
Voidraven Bomber - 2x Void Lance, Void Mine

Aegis Defense Line - quadgun
Total - 1846 pts

Looks pretty good at taking out Paladins... so should be an uphill battle, here's hoping for the Relic, KP or Emperors Will missions :p Anything else and I'm in trouble!
Embolden40k
Embolden40k
Henchmen
Henchmen

Number of posts : 104
Army : Grey Knights, Eldar
Registration date : 2012-09-10

Grey knight
stats:

http://embolden40k.blogspot.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by Embolden40k Mon May 13, 2013 6:52 am

Hey everyone,

A battle report today, sorry for the long delay, was away with work for a long weekend, and a second apology, no pics either, my camera decided to take the photos in blur mode… I have my second league match arranged for tomorrow night, so I hope to have pic of that!

Back to this game, it’s my first 40k league match, so lets see how things go!

I will be using my Paladins for the league and here’s the list they are starting at:

Grey Knights
Draigo
Coteaz
10 Paladins – 4 Psycannons, Banner, Psybolt
5 Paladins – 2 MC Psycannons, Psybolt
1 Paladin
Dreadknight – Psycannon, Incinerator
Dreadknight – Psycannon, Incinerator

I would be up against:

Dark Eldar
Archon - Blast Pistol, Combat Drugs, Ghostplate Armour, Huskblade, Plasma Grenades, Shadow field, Soul-trap
Lelith Hesperax
4 Incubi in Venom - Retrofire Jets, Splinter Cannon
5 Trueborn - 3x Shardcarbine, 2x Splinter Cannon in Venom - Flickerfield, Splinter Cannon
4 Trueborn - 4x Blaster in Venom - Flickerfield, Splinter Cannon
10 Kabalite Warriors 1x Splinter Cannon in Raider Disintegrator, Nightshield, Splinter Racks
7x Wyches, 1xWych with Wych Weapon, Shardnet and Impaler in Raider - Disintegrator, Retrofire Jets
Voidraven Bomber - 2x Void Lance, Void Mine
Aegis Defense Line - quadgun

So I’m going to be facing an uphill battle to get anything out of this game, this army throws out a crazy number of shots and many of them are high strength low AP, with lots of targets, target priority will be key, Blasters and Ravegers take top priority for the first couple of turns, then it’s all about killing the troops.

Here goes!!

Mission: Relic, Vanguard deployment.

Warlord Traits:
Archon – Acute senses on outflanking units
Coteaz – Count Attack in own deployment zone

Psychic Powers:
Coteaz – Missfortune – traded in for Prescience, Forewarning

Grand Strategy:
3 Scouting units

Deployment:
I win the roll for table sides, so choose the side that had most of LOS blocking terrain, but I lose the roll for turn1, my opponent takes turn1.

The Dark Eldar deploy deep into their deployment zone, with the Warriors in Raider and 2 Ravager and Truborn with Shardcarbines and Cannons, the Blaster Truborn and Archon with Incubi go on the left flank, with the Aegis and 2x10 Warriors in the centre.

The Wyches and Bomber go in reserve, Wyches are deep striking.

I deploy just the 10 Paladins, Draigo out front and Coteaz at the back, I want to scout close to the relic to grab it turn1 and walk it back to a LOS blocking terrain in my deployment zone, everything else goes in deep strike reserve.

Turn1
I fail to seize!

DE
The Dark Eldar fan out, everything getting into range, but we make a mistake, I think that Shardcarbines are only range 18” so ask my opponent but he thinks they are 36” but I don’t ask to check and they are only 18”.. the Blaster Truborn move forwards but not into range, the Archon moves towards the top left flank. Shooting starts with Disintegrator into the Paladins, Draigo takes a wound, Dark Lances then open up and take another wound off, then all the Splinter Cannons, Rifles and Shardcarbines open up into Draigo and Paladin behind tanks well, only taking a single wound!

GK
Coteaz casts his powers

The Paladins move into difficult terrain 4” (short of the relic), the wounded Paladin drops deep into the pack and another takes it’s place, the squad then opens up into the Blaster Truborn Venom and explodes it, killing all but one of it’s content, which is pinned.

Turn2

DE
The Wyches arrive from reserve, the Bomber stays in reserve.

The Wyches land on the right flank way away from the Paladins, the Dark Eldar army moves around to back away from the Paladins, while still keeping the 36” range, shooting starts with the Disintegrators and Draigo fails both saves he’s required to make... then everything opens up into the Paladins, this time 2 Paladins are slain.

GK
Coteaz fails Prescience, Forewarning goes off.

I get the perfect reserves, 2 Dreadknights and the 5 Paladins arrive, the Solodin stays in reserve.

Both Dreadknights land in front of the 2x10 Warriors in the middle, the 5 Paladins land on the right flank in front of a Raider, the Paladins in the centre switch targets and move to get into range of the Venom on the left flank, but only 2 Storm Bolters and a Psycannon are in range, without Prescience it’s a risky move... shooting starts with the Dreadknights, the first removes 1x10 Warriors, the other removes 7 from the second squad, the 5 Paladins explode the Ravager, over in the centre the few Paladins in range shoot at the Venom, but the Psycannon misses 3 times and 2 Storm Bolters hit... which results in 2 glances, 1 of which is saved, damn!

Turn3

DE
The Bomber stays in reserve.

The Raiders on the right flank move towards the freshly arrived Paladins on the right flank, the Ravager moves away from it, the 3 Warriors left by the quadgun jump back on it, the Wyches jump out there Raider and towards the Paladins, the Archon venom moves down the left flank and turbo boosts next to the Paladins in the centre. Shooting starts with the Ravager and Venom plus a single Raider into the 5 Paladins and kill 3, everything else fires into the Paladins in the centre killing another couple and wounding 1.

The Wyches then assault into the Paladins with Hesparex which kills a Paladin on it’s own, the other Paladin survives the rest of the attacks, then kills a Wyche, so loses combat, fails moral, but remains locked.

GK
The Solodin arrives from reserve and deep strike lands on the Relic

The Paladins move up to the Archon Venom, the Dreadknights split up, one moves left and the other moves to finish off the 3 Warriors by the Quadgun, the other Dreadknight fires into the Archon venom, but fails to cause any damage, so the Paladins are needed, which down it easy, killing a Incubi, they then declare a charge on the squad and I roll snake eyes... needed a 5” charge.. the Lone Paladin is killed in combat.

Turn4

DE
The bomber moves in from reserve and ends next to the Paladins and within 12” of Coteaz, so they open up and cause a weapon destroyed... Archon and squad move up slightly towards the Paladins, the Lone blaster moves from cover and into range of the Paladins, the rest of the force moves around to get into range of the remaining Paladins, bar the Wyches which move out of Cover and towards the Dreadknight in the centre. Shooting, the Disintegrators open up into Coteaz who is at the back of the squad and he fails a lookout sir and takes a wound, the rest of the shooting removes a couple of Paladins as my dice start to desert me... Coteaz then fails 2 further saves and dies giving up Warlord, the Solodin then fails 2 out of 4 saves and the Dreadknight in the centre fails the 1 save it’s required to take!

The 2 remaining Paladins fail moral and fall back 8”

The Incubi declare a charge and take a wound, so fail the 10” charge.

*that was a BAD turn for saves and could cost me dearly!!!*

GK
The 2 Paladins move up to the Incubi and Archon, the Dreadknight on the left flank moves through terrain, the Dreadknight in the centre moves behind the Aegis. The Dreadknight in the centre fires into the Wyches and kills all but Hesperax. The Dreadknight in the centre fires Incubi and Archon, killing the last Incubi, the 2 Paladins fail to do any damage to the Archon who passes all the 2+ saves. The Dreadknight fails to get into combat with the Incubi, the 2 Paladins charge the Archon, one gets beat down before it can swing, the other forces a save which is passed, they remain locked in combat.

Turn5

DE
The Bomber moves towards the left flank, but doesn’t go off the table, the rest of the force moves up, Hesparax moves towards the Dreadknight in the centre, the Ravager and Raiders move up to get into range of the Dreadknights. Shooting, the Dreadknight behind the Aegis does well and only loses 2 wounds.

The Archon then beats down the last Paladin and consolidates to get a Linebreaker.

GK
The Dreadknight on the left flank fires at the Archon, the Dreadknight in the centre moves away from Hesparax but mans the Quadgun, then explodes the Raider with Warriors in it by the Relic, the Dreadknight on the left kills the entire squad which is in the open.

We roll to see if the game goes on and it does!

Turn6

DE
The Archon moves up to get into range of the Dreadknight on the left flank, then shoots at it, taking a wound off, the Venom with Truborn in finishes off the Dreadknight on the left flank, the Dark Lances and Disintegrators turn their attention to the Dreadknight on 2 wounds in the centre, fails it’s first cover save... then passes 2 more to survive the turn!

GK

With only the Dreadknight left with only 1 wound! it opens up on the Ravager and takes it out!!

We roll to see if the game goes the distance and no it doesn’t!! PHEW!

I have Firstblood and Linebreaker, my opponent has Warlord and we measure up for Linebreaker and the Archon is out by about an inch.. so I have won! Just!!

So what went right and what went wrong?

I’ll start with the negatives!

So I messed up my Grand Strategy, with scouting the large Paladin squad forwards, it got me nowhere in the end as the squad was smashed in all honesty, the withering fire power from the Dark Eldar army was horrible, some of the worst I’ve faced since starting to play at a more competitive level.

I should have made the Dreadknights scoring, but I totally underestimated the fire power and thought the large block of Paladins would be able to survive the fire power to get to the Relic and move it to a safer location, where the 5 Paladins and Solodin could jump on it with the Dreadknights playing interference. But it never happened that way, from turn1 onwards I knew I had made a massive mistake! And ended up having to sacrifice units to try to stop the fire power and in the end it JUST about worked.

After taking the first wound I was still trying to tank on Coteaz this just didn’t work, I was trying to be greedy and protect a Paladin on one wound, both of which ended up dying anyway... So that was a painful lesson learnt!

Turn4 my saves deserted me good and proper almost costing me the game, luckily they got better turn6 as I passed 2 4+ saves to win by a wound!

Warlord Traits, I probably got the worst of the lot, so lets hope the Personal Traits will get better in the future!

What went well?

I thought my target priority was good, not amazing, but good enough, the Dreadknights took out all 4 scoring units between them, the 5 Paladins did a good job in sacrificing themselves to take out a Ravager which can easily take out Paladins being STR8 AP2, before they were shot to bits by most of the Dark Eldar fire power to the face before being squished in combat by Wyches, the 10 Paladins moved up got shot to bits, got firstblood, killed most of the Blaster Truborn and the Incubi Venom.

Keeping my head in the game, I thought I handelled the withering fire power with a cool head, didn’t panic when Draigo went down turn2 after failing 4 out of 6 saves/Inv saves… then on turn4 my dice deserted me, so keeping calm and keeping the objectives in mind before each move kept me in this game.
Embolden40k
Embolden40k
Henchmen
Henchmen

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by DOMIN4TRIX Mon May 13, 2013 10:09 am

Considering the luck of the dice and the difficulty of the match-up (DE with all their S8 AP2 firepower are the stuff of Palladin nightmares!) you did exceptionally well to pull out the win.

Thanks for taking the time to give us another great write up.
DOMIN4TRIX
DOMIN4TRIX
Justicar
Justicar

Number of posts : 642
Army : Knights, Nids and Necs
Registration date : 2011-08-09

Grey knight
stats:

http://corpointdeux.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Rivan Mon May 13, 2013 2:53 pm

Again, good read and batrep! I really enjoy reading your reports Smile

One thing, you mentioned the bomber ended up w/in 12" of Coteaz so his unit got to shoot it--technically not correct, you have to measure from Coteaz to the point where the unit enters the board (whether from the board edge or where they end up DSing after scatter). So if the bomber came in from his board edge more than 36" away, Coteaz' IBEY doesn't apply (even if it moved 36" and end up w/in 12")

This is one reason 6th ed rules w/ drop pods made them better. Before they have to land w/in 12" to employ their rapid fire plasmas or melta guns. Now they can risk landing up to 18" away, which won't trigger IBEY and then move up to 6" from the drop pod and fire.
Rivan
Rivan
Adeptus Moderatus
Adeptus Moderatus

Number of posts : 4404
Army : Grey Knights 7th Brotherhood, Salamanders
Registration date : 2009-03-05

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Embolden40k Wed May 15, 2013 6:24 am

DOMIN4TRIX wrote:Considering the luck of the dice and the difficulty of the match-up (DE with all their S8 AP2 firepower are the stuff of Palladin nightmares!) you did exceptionally well to pull out the win.

Thanks for taking the time to give us another great write up.

Cheers - thanks for the kind comments as always! Smile

Rivan wrote:Again, good read and batrep! I really enjoy reading your reports Smile

One thing, you mentioned the bomber ended up w/in 12" of Coteaz so his unit got to shoot it--technically not correct, you have to measure from Coteaz to the point where the unit enters the board (whether from the board edge or where they end up DSing after scatter). So if the bomber came in from his board edge more than 36" away, Coteaz' IBEY doesn't apply (even if it moved 36" and end up w/in 12")

This is one reason 6th ed rules w/ drop pods made them better. Before they have to land w/in 12" to employ their rapid fire plasmas or melta guns. Now they can risk landing up to 18" away, which won't trigger IBEY and then move up to 6" from the drop pod and fire.

Cheers Rivan! Smile

Ah okay, I must of miss read that then, it's never come up before, so in the heat of battle I must of invented that ruling lol! Thanks for point that out, at least it didn't make a difference to the game, but it should of have!

To everyone, if you ever are unsure how things happened or need something clearing up or if you read something, like Rivan has, just shout out, I'm hear to learn from my mistakes as much as possible!! Smile

Embolden40k
Embolden40k
Henchmen
Henchmen

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Embolden40k Sun May 19, 2013 2:19 am

Hey guys,

Played my second league game the other night, with the same Paladin list as before, this time I would be up against Ben and his Dark Angels list, the game went a little like this:

My list
Draigo
Coteaz
10 Paladins – 4 psycannons, Banner, Psybolt
5 Paladins – 2 psycannons, psybolt
1 Paladin
Dreadknight – incinerator, psycannon
Dreadknight – incinerator, psycannon

Dark Angels
Belial Sword/Storm Bolter
Ezekiel
5 Terminator Knights
5 Terminators – cyclone
5 Terminators – cyclone
10 Marines – Plasma cannon, flamer
6 Marines – Lascannon
Landraider crusader – storm bolter, multimelta
Contemptor – 2x twin linked lascannon, cyclone missile

So enough Terminators to worry me as they all have the fists/hammers so will be double tapping out the Paladins and a few Lascannons and Multimeltas to really worry the Paladins, Draigo tanking the hits will be important.

Mission: Purge the Alien, Vanguard Strike deployment

YES – my favourite mission for the list, with only 8 KPs and 3 tied up in one mega unit and the others are not exactly easy to obtain.

Walord Traits:
Belial – the hunt, gains an additional VP for killing my Warlord
Coteaz – FNP on objectives... opps I rolled on the wrong table!! Should of rolled on the Strategic traits as I had a better chance of finding something useful.

Psychic Powers:
Ezekiel – Foreboding, Gaze traded in for Prescience and Mind Worm as standard
Coteaz – Foreboding and re-rolls on psyker traded in for Prescience

Grand Strategy:
I go for re-rolling 1’s to wound and get 3 units, so choose the 2 Paladin squads and 1 Dreadknight

Night fight turn1 – YES

Deployment:
I lost both the rolls for table sides and first turn, but was passed first turn1 anyway.

GK
I deployed the 10 Paladins, Draigo and Coteaz on the right flank, Draigo out front to tank the hits, the Solodin will walk on (there is a nice bunker in the bottom left flank to hide behind), the rest will deep strike in.

DA
Belial joins a Terminator squad to Deathwing assault turn1, the Knights jump in the Crusader which deploys on the left flank of the deployment zone, centre of the table in reality, the Terminator squad and 10 Marines deploy on a large hill top right, the 6 marine deploy 30” away central of the deployment zone with the contempter deploying deep in the deployment zone behind the hill, after a little debate, Ezekiel joins the 10 Marines (at the back of the squad).

Turn1
After failing to seize, I go first.

GK
The Paladins move forwards, after casting prescience, only 3 Psycannons and a couple of Storm bolters are in range of the 6 Marines, killing 3, they pass moral.

DA
Ezekiel gets of Prescience on the 10 Marines, the Contemptor moves round the hill, the Terminators on the hill shuffle forwards, the Crusader moves up 12” Belial and his squad land to the right of the Paladins. Shooting starts with the Contemptor which wounds Draigo once, the Lascannon from the 3 Marines misses, the Plasma cannon from the Marine on the hill hits and wounds 3 times, the Paladin behind takes a wound, then Draigo tanks the others, the Terminators fire and Draigo take a wound from a cyclone hit, the Storm Bolters take a wound off another Paladin, Belials squad fires and does zero damage.

Turn2

GK
All my reserves arrive, even with communion trying to delay the Solodin, which walks on the left flank and hides behind his bunker. The Dreadknight with rerolls scatters off the table with an 11” scatter, but luckily it goes back in reserve, the 5 Paladins land safely next to the 10 Paladins and the other Dreadknight attempts the same deep strike and land perfectly, Coteaz casts his power and the 10 Paladins move up again. Shooting starts with the 5 Paladins who I placed out of range of the 3 Marines.. ugh! So fire into Belials squad, killing 2 Terminators, the Dreadknight fires into the 3 Marines, killing 1, so the 10 Paladins have a choice to fire at the 2 Marines for firstblood or trust the dice and go for Belials squad, I choose Belial as I can get the 2 Marines later on, the squads shooting is immense and kills the 3 Terminators for firstblood and a KP, then I do a quick measure and I’m 10” from Belial so elect to charge and I get a 11, Belial declares a challenge which Draigo accepts and a takes the hits from Belial, then hits and wounds 4 times, Belial fails 1 save, then Driago activates the Force weapon for a Warlord kill and a second KP!! The squad consolidates 5” away from the Crusader.

DA
The Ezekiel fails foreboding, but gets Prescience off, the Contemptor moves up a little, the Crusader moves up 6” and the Knights jump out, the Terminators on the hill shuffle forwards again. Shooting everything fires into the 10 Paladins, the 10 Marines kill a Paladin, Mindworm takes a wound off a Paladin and it loses lots of stats... the Contemptor and Terminators on the hill take another wound of Draigo and another Paladin takes a wound. The Knights declare a charge, I then overwatch and kill 3!! The Knights then make it into combat, the Paladins are stretched out, so Draigo in pretty much alone.. But he cuts down 1 Knight and the other passes a couple of saves from supporting hammers, so remain locked in combat.

Turn3

GK
Coteaz passes his powers, the Dreadknight walks on reserve and isn’t in range of anything... so runs forwards, the other Dreadknights moves up the hill, the 5 Paladins spread out and move forwards into range of the 2 Marines, shooting starts with the 5 Paladins who remove the 2 Marines, the Dreadknight on the hill fires at the Marines and kills maybe 1 or 2? So we move into combat the Dreadknights get through Overwatch unscathed and challenges in combat, Ezekiel accepts the challenge and gets wound on the Dreadknight, but he saves it! The Dreadknight the takes 2 wounds, but Ezekiel is immune to ID?? I don’t mind being locked in combat though. The Paladins smash the lone Knight for another KP and consolidate back 5”.

DA
The Terminators on the hill shuffle back slightly, the Contemptor moves upto the Paladins, the Crusader remains stationary, shooting starts with Contemptor taking a wound off Draigo and a few wounded Paladin drop to storm bolter fire from the Terminators and the hail of fire coming from the Crusader, the Contemptor charges into the Paladins another Paladin falls to it’s AP2 hits in combat, Draigo tanks a wound, then the Hammers in the squad goes to town and wreck face, but another Paladin falls in the explosion... The squad is reduced to 2 or 3 Paladins 1 unwounded at this stage. The Dreadknight survives another round of combat with Ezekiel before smashing him for another KP.

Turn4

GK
Coteaz casts his powers and moves out of the squad, Draigo also moves away from the few Paladins and the 5 Paladins move up and the Characters join that squad, the few Paladins that remain from the large squad move upto the hill, the Dreadknight moves up towards the centre of the table. Shooting commences with the 5 Paladins plus characters firing into the Terminators on the hill, whittling them down to 3, the Dreadknight not locked in combat whittles another down and so does the 3 Paladins, leaving 1 Terminator with PF and SB. The Dreadknight in combat smashes some marines up, they fail moral and fall back, the Dreadknight moves towards them.

DA
With little left and still chasing there first Kill Point or VP, the Landraider moves towards the Paladins by the hill, the Terminator does the same. Shooting starts with the Marines firing at the Dreadknight and doing no damage, the Landraider and Terminator kill all but 1 of the Paladins which is left on a single wound.

Turn5

Coteaz casts his powers and the squad moves next to the Landraider (1” away), the 1 Paladin on the right flank moves onto the hill and prepares to assault the Terminator, the Dreadknight does the same to the Marines. Shooting sees the Pyscannons bouncing off the Landraider, the Dreadknight kills a marine and the Paladin does no damage to the Terminator, moving swiftly into assault the 5 Paladins charge the Landraider getting 2 Pens and a glance, the Pens then roll a double6, which is re-rolled thanks to some nifty power... but the result is the same, 1 6 is rolled! A Paladin takes a wound from the explosion. The Paladin on the right charges the Terminator, the Terminator misses both attacks and the Paladin bounces off the Terminator. The Dreadknight kills a couple more Marines (only 2 left), but they fail moral again and fall back some more, the Dreadknight gives chase.

DA
The Marine move up and shoot at the Dreadknight doing no damage, then declare an assault (only fired bolt pistol and flamer), the Dreadknight then toasts 1 with the flamer and smashes the other. The Terminator then kills the Paladin after it fails to get through its 2+ armour again.

As it’s a league game and I’m after the tabling for a bonus point we roll to see if the game goes on and it does!

Turn6

I move the Paladins and Dreadknights up to the Terminator, then roll to hit and wound with the Paladins shooting and my opponent picks up the Terminator for a tabling win to me!

Aftermath:

So what went right, what went wrong, what did I learn?

Well that went MUCH better than expected, I guess it goes to show the strength of Draigo!

While I’m talking about Draigo, I’m starting to see a pattern, if he tanks to hits for 2-3 Turns I win the game, if he goes down turn1 its game over and turn2 it’s still in the balance! Which makes me consider an Apothecary if I make changes.

So want went wrong, the Dreadknight deep striking off the table, it wasn’t a totally risky deep strike, about 9-10” away from the board edge and about 8” to the left of a squad of Marines and about 15” from the large Paladin squad. So that was a pain, as that Dreadknight basically did nothing all game, so I think I should consider being a bit less risky with these in future games.

I thought my target priority was correct all game, not taking out the 3 Marines turn with the large Paladin squad was a risk, not taking firstblood, but in the end it paid off as I got the 10” charge into Belial to get 2kps and Warlord, then I took firstblood turn3. Which won me the game all ends up.

I think my opponent got lulled into trying to tackle the large Paladin squad, which to be fair he did take out, but only on turn5, when really the way to beat Draigowing is to take everything else out...

So there we go, onwards and upwords! I’m now top of the group on 7pts and I’m playing second place this week, he’s on 6pts. He’s playing a very mobile Blood Angels list:

Commander Dante 225
Librarian: Epistolary; Shield of Sanguinius; The Blood Lance; bolt pistol; jump pack. 175
1 Sanguinary Priests 105
• Brother Corbulo
Sanguinary Guard: infernus pistol; plasma pistol; power fist; Chapter Banner. 260
8 Death Company: infernus pistol; 3× power weapon; thunder hammer; jump packs. 370
10 Assault Marines: Sergeant (Melta bombs); 2× meltagun. 420
• Land Raider
10 Assault Marines: Sergeant (Melta bombs); meltagun; jump packs. 195
2 Attack Bikes: 2× multi-melta. 100
Looks like this will be another tough list, lots of Melta and movement, just what Paladins really hate. I’m totally sure who to deploy against his force...going first I’m tempted to deploy everything, a Dreadknight on either side of the large Paladin squad, with the 5 Paladins behind with the Solodin to walk/deep strike on. This gives my opponent too choices, give up board control and deploy deep into his deployment zone, or in range and I throw everything into a unit per turn until it’s dead, then win the game on attrition.

Going second, this is a tough one, I’d have to play for objectives (whatever they are), so that means deploying the large Paladin block and deep striking everything in, which will break up the army somewhat, but this means I’m likely to be more mobile and will have the advantage on objectives.

Should be a interesting close game, so stay tuned for that!
Embolden40k
Embolden40k
Henchmen
Henchmen

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by SmokinBrown Sun May 19, 2013 5:20 am

Good report, very well played. Fancy trying to Deathwing Draigowing. Did draigo die in the end or was he still on one wound?

SB
SmokinBrown
SmokinBrown
Grey Knight
Grey Knight

Number of posts : 251
Army : Grey Knights, Necrons, The Empire
Registration date : 2011-05-09

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Embolden40k Sun May 19, 2013 11:22 am

SmokinBrown wrote:Good report, very well played. Fancy trying to Deathwing Draigowing. Did draigo die in the end or was he still on one wound?

SB

Hey SB,

I'm getting tempted to drop the Dreadknights and second Paladin squad (750pts!!) for a Deathwing (wing?) I think it could work well! What would you suggest?

Draigo was there at the end, leading the 5man Paladin squad!
Embolden40k
Embolden40k
Henchmen
Henchmen

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by SmokinBrown Sun May 19, 2013 11:31 am

Embolden40k wrote:
SmokinBrown wrote:Good report, very well played. Fancy trying to Deathwing Draigowing. Did draigo die in the end or was he still on one wound?

SB

Hey SB,

I'm getting tempted to drop the Dreadknights and second Paladin squad (750pts!!) for a Deathwing (wing?) I think it could work well! What would you suggest?

Draigo was there at the end, leading the 5man Paladin squad!

What a lad. He's only ever died in one of my games, back in 5th edition where power weapons were ap2. Played against an inquisitorial list which was 2 units of DCA's and a couple crusaders and a monkey in a landraider, and they cut through my 2 paladin squads in landraiders on turn 2, leaving only Draigo in combat with 2 inquisitors, 15 DCA's and some crusaders and stuff, can't quite remember, until he finally died on turn 4. But to last 4 rounds of combat with that many power weapon attacks against him was ridiculous, and I've taken him in every game with points big enough (and even as low as 1000 lol) but he always lasts.

Deathwing allies sounds good actually, I might try it, It's some serious terminator spam.

I don't have the DA codex but I was thinking of starting a small chaos force too so might buy the dark vengeance box and give it a try.

SB
SmokinBrown
SmokinBrown
Grey Knight
Grey Knight

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by DOMIN4TRIX Sun May 19, 2013 12:18 pm

Another great report and a solid win

I love the symmetry of the DA army - Terminators with cyclone's backed up by Contemptor's with cyclone's - I bet it looked great on the table.

The Blood Angels will be an interesting one. Here's some pretty obvious stuff that i'm sure your aware of but might be of some use:

- A large volume of melta but mostly with an 18" range (infernus + jump pack) so you will have the range advantage which is unusual for a 24" army. With this in mind it might be better (as you suggest) to deploy the DK's on the table from the off - he will have to come to you.

- It's a power armour assault army (save for the Sang Guard), which should also play to your favour. Your overwatch in the last game was very effective against TDA and it will be even more devastating against PA. Your weakest assault weapon is AP3 which helps.

- For me you played the LR perfectly last game (ignore and assault late game) he wasted his firepower on your deathstar and you didn't fall into the same trap with his Raider. Same again with the BA one - at least you don't have to worry about Knights rocking out of it.

- FNP doesn't work against force weapon instant death so when Corbulo is involved leave the hammerhand and charge force weapons even on 1 wound models.

- Corbulo is one of the best tanking units in the game:

- He can FNP on a 2+ (Dreadknight's challenging Corbulo will offer him no save at all)

- units within 6" get furious charge + FNP (this might benefit the Dreadknights with their templates)

- his assault weapon is rending

- Sang Guard chapter banner: re-roll failed morale + pinning and +1 attack's to the squad members

- Dante gets a non scattering deepstrike, Cortaez will no doubt be expecting this but it may come as late as T3 and positioning for this the whole game will not be possible - the unit will prob be Dante / Corbulo / Librarian / Sang Guard or Death Company.

- Dante's unit will be hard to pin down as they have hit and run. And he will nerf a wound off of Draigo before the game starts.

- Draigo will hit all models in the Librarian unit at S10 (Titan Sword) negating FNP

- The Attack Bikes might be a good early target for first blood (two less multi melta's to worry about.)

- with his advantage in mobility deployment will be crucial - yours will be a slow march to the objective's he can hopscotch around.

- his lack of Stormraven's is encouraging as they would tie up your return fire - it's the best thing in the BA codex - it's like facing Chaos without Helldrakes.

Good luck for the next one - looking forward to the next report.

DOMIN4TRIX
DOMIN4TRIX
Justicar
Justicar

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Embolden40k Tue May 21, 2013 11:20 pm

@SB - Yes Draigo is the boss when it comes to taking the hits! Although mine tends to tank the hits until he dies! So it's fairly rare he survives a game!

DOMIN4TRIX wrote:Another great report and a solid win

Cheers Dom!

I love the symmetry of the DA army - Terminators with cyclone's backed up by Contemptor's with cyclone's - I bet it looked great on the table.

It's painted incredibily well, shame I didn't whip out the old camera, but I keep getting wrapped up in the game and totally forget to take the pics!

The Blood Angels will be an interesting one. Here's some pretty obvious stuff that i'm sure your aware of but might be of some use:

- A large volume of melta but mostly with an 18" range (infernus + jump pack) so you will have the range advantage which is unusual for a 24" army. With this in mind it might be better (as you suggest) to deploy the DK's on the table from the off - he will have to come to you.

- It's a power armour assault army (save for the Sang Guard), which should also play to your favour. Your overwatch in the last game was very effective against TDA and it will be even more devastating against PA. Your weakest assault weapon is AP3 which helps.

- For me you played the LR perfectly last game (ignore and assault late game) he wasted his firepower on your deathstar and you didn't fall into the same trap with his Raider. Same again with the BA one - at least you don't have to worry about Knights rocking out of it.

- FNP doesn't work against force weapon instant death so when Corbulo is involved leave the hammerhand and charge force weapons even on 1 wound models.

- Corbulo is one of the best tanking units in the game:

- He can FNP on a 2+ (Dreadknight's challenging Corbulo will offer him no save at all)

- units within 6" get furious charge + FNP (this might benefit the Dreadknights with their templates)

- his assault weapon is rending

- Sang Guard chapter banner: re-roll failed morale + pinning and +1 attack's to the squad members

- Dante gets a non scattering deepstrike, Cortaez will no doubt be expecting this but it may come as late as T3 and positioning for this the whole game will not be possible - the unit will prob be Dante / Corbulo / Librarian / Sang Guard or Death Company.

- Dante's unit will be hard to pin down as they have hit and run. And he will nerf a wound off of Draigo before the game starts.

- Draigo will hit all models in the Librarian unit at S10 (Titan Sword) negating FNP

- The Attack Bikes might be a good early target for first blood (two less multi melta's to worry about.)

- with his advantage in mobility deployment will be crucial - yours will be a slow march to the objective's he can hopscotch around.

- his lack of Stormraven's is encouraging as they would tie up your return fire - it's the best thing in the BA codex - it's like facing Chaos without Helldrakes.

Good luck for the next one - looking forward to the next report.

Sorry for the REALLY late reply, I did read this and thought I had replied before? Obviously not!!??

Cheers for the great advice, good job you have posted this! I had totally forgot about the Dante non scatter and the knocking off of a wound! I'd never faced Corbulo before and I altered what I would normally do in a situation I was facing (will write the report after I've replied here!), due to Corbulos FNP which is crazy!

Report to follow asap!
Embolden40k
Embolden40k
Henchmen
Henchmen

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by SmokinBrown Wed May 22, 2013 11:30 am

Was it another win?

SB
SmokinBrown
SmokinBrown
Grey Knight
Grey Knight

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Embolden40k Wed May 22, 2013 1:21 pm

Ah SB all in good time my friend, not had the usual free time at work to write the report and its 5-side footy tonight so the report should be up tomorrow, even took a couple of pics!
Embolden40k
Embolden40k
Henchmen
Henchmen

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by SmokinBrown Thu May 23, 2013 1:08 pm

Ah fair enough. Pics are always good Smile

SB
SmokinBrown
SmokinBrown
Grey Knight
Grey Knight

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Embolden40k Fri May 24, 2013 1:09 am

Hey everyone,

So another 40k league game today! This game I would be up against Nick and his BA list, Nick is currently sat 1pt behind me on 2 wins from 2 games, I have the bonus pt from tabling my last opponent.

I would be using my usual Paladin list:
Draigo
Coteaz
10 Paladins – 4 psycannons, banner, psybolt
5 Paladins – 2 psycannons, psybolt
1 Paladin
Dreadknight – hvy psycannon, hvy incinerator
Dreadknight – hvy psycannon, hvy incinerator

Nicks list:
Libby – lvl2, blood lance, shield
Dante
Corbulo
5 Sang Guard – 2 infernos pistols, 1 plasma pistol
10 Assault Marines – no jump packs, 2 meltaguns in Landraider
10 Assault Marines – 2 meltaguns
8 Death Company – 2 meltaguns, 1 hammer, 2 force swords
2 Attack Bikes – multimeltas

Thanks to Doms tactical advise about I kinda new what I would be doing and had a clear strategy in mind depending on the mission, objective placement and deployment.

Mission – Purge the Alien and Hammer and Anvil deployment

Yes, KPs again! Although looking at Nicks list only have 9 or so KPs to my 7, so it’s really even!

Warlord traits:
Dante – acute senses on outflanking units.... useless
Coteaz – choose night fight turn1 or not... I chose not
*I remembered to roll on the right table and I got a useful trait!*

Psychic Powers:
Nicks libby keeps his powers
Coteaz – Perfect timing traded in for Prescience, Scrier’s Gazes...
*not the best powers... but Gaze can be handy so it’s not all bad!*

Grand Strategy:
Draigo allows 3 units to reroll ones, 10 Paladin squad, 5 Paladin squad and a Dreadknight

Dante:
Removes a wound etc from Draigo.

Deployment:
Nick won both the rolls for table sides and first turn, he passed me first turn.

I set about deploying the 10 Paladins + Coteaz + Draigo to the right of my deployment zone to avoid Nick deep striking in behind a giant hill in the centre of the table. As I didn’t know where/when Nick would be coming on I kept the rest of the army in reserve, both Dreadknights and the 5 Paladins will be deep striking and the Solodin will be walking on.

BA:
Corbulo joined the 10 Assault marines in the Landraider and that deployed quite deep in the deployment zone, the 10 Assault Marines deployed centrally with the Death Company also deploying, but on the left flank. Dante, Libby and the Sang Guard went in deep strike reserve.

Turn1

GK
Nothing much happens, the Paladins move forwards then run 3”, Draigo and maybe 2 Paladins were in range of the Assault squad and Attack bikes, so I took the decision that board control was more important.

BA
The Landraider shuffled sideways, the Attack bikes moved to keep at the max range of 24” against Draigo, the Death Company on the left flank jumped on to the large hill and clumped behind an outcrop. The Assault squad then jumped back away from the Paladins. The Landraider and Attack Bikes fired into the Draigo and cause a wound.

Turn2

GK
Coteaz casts Prescience but fails (not perils) Scriers Gaze! Draigo passes communion.

Rolling for reserves only the Dreadknight with re-rolls arrives – at first I was disappointed, but in the end it worked out pretty well! The Dreadknight scatters back 11 from the Deathcompany and out of range to everything, so it runs into a ruin. The Paladins move forwards just to get into range of the Attack Bikes, shooting starts and ends with the Paladins who hit with almost every shot and wound with most including 4 or 5 rends! But only 1 attack bike falls.. the other is on one wound... not what was needed...

BA
Dante and friends arrive and deep strike behind a bunker, so Coteaz cannot see them... the Death Company move up towards to the Paladins, the Assault Marines drop back behind the Landraider which moves back with the Attack Bike. Shooting starts with Dante and Friends, the Libby casts Blood Lance and the Paladins deny the witch!!! Mwahaha, then things go really down hill for the Blood Angels... as both infernus pistols miss as well as the plasma pistol... the Landraider then fails to scratch Draigo, the Attack bike misses, the Meltaguns from the Death Company kill a Paladin (psycannon...)

Into assault and the Death Company charge in on the Paladins, losing 1 guy to overwatch, then make the distance, I fail hammerhand from Draigo (no perils), then decide to use cast if from the squad, which also fails.... at least there was no perils..... the Halberds strike first and they strike hard.. killing 4 Death company, Draigo then smashes another 3, the Banner then finishes off the Hammer before it can swing for a massive win before the Death Company could even swing... The Paladin consolidates 3” round the bunker.

Turn3

GK
With one of the major threats and another KP to the total the Paladins move round the bunker the sang guard are hiding behind, but not before the Psychic powers (bar communion) are cast, re-enforcements arrive, everything else arrives, I decide to play the safe/conservative game and drop the 5 Paladins behind the hill where they cannot be touched, but cannot do any damage, the Solodin walks on behind a massive walled bunker, the second Dreadknight lands on the other side to the Paladins between the Dreadknight that arrived last turn, that dread knight moves up to be next to it’s brother.

Shooting – both Dreadknights fire at the sang guard, 2 fall. The large Paladin squad then open up and remove the lot! I hit and wound with enough shots (17 I think) with only 1 rend, my opponent then rolled a stupid amount of 1’s... but it’s always the way, make your opponent roll enough dice and they will roll low eventually... but that was shocking, considering the squad was 3 Sang Guard, Libby AND Dante.. with 3 KPS from the squad and another from the Death Company the turn before, I had firstblood and warlord for a 6-0 lead.

END OF TURN3:
UK Tournament Tactica Diary - Now using a Draigowing  - Page 5 IMG_0169_zpsca403d6c

UK Tournament Tactica Diary - Now using a Draigowing  - Page 5 IMG_0170_zps05555098

That was game over for all intense and purpose, but my opponent wanted to play on so we did as it was a league game.

BA
The Landraider shuffled about with the Attack Bike, I had exposed the back of the Paladin squad so Draigo was closest to the Sang Guard as I was expecting to have to finish Dante in combat... The shooting hurt as 2 Paladins went down to Lascannon/Multimelta fire, the Heavy Bolter striped a wound off another Paladin.

Turn4

GK
The Paladins did an about turn, with Draigo taking the lead of the squad, Coteaz got Prescience off, the Dreadknights moved and run up behind the Paladins, the Paladins on the left flank, move up (still behind the hill). Shooting was overkill, the Paladins take out the Attack Bike for another KP.

BA
Throwing caution to the wind Nick moves the Landraider up 6 and the squad jumps out with Corbulo leading the charge, the Assault Marines behind the Landraider jump up passed it, Draigo tanks the Lascannon and Meltagun hits, then Corbulo declares a charge and then tanks all the Overwatch hits, Corbulos squad make the 8” charge with a 9, the Assault Marines fail there 11” charge... Corbulo declares a challenge which Draigo Accepts (Thanks Dom!! - Would of accepted with Coteaz otherwise... as I didn’t realise his attacks are Rending and FC so would be Str6 instant killing my Warlord). Draigo takes the hits, then Corbulo passes all 4 FnP saves. The Assault Marines are wiped out by some brutal hitting. But they remain locked in combat with Corbulo.

Turn5

GK
Coteaz casts his Prescience and the Dreadknights move up towards the Assault marines, the 5 Paladins on the left flank move passed the hill for Linebreaker, shooting starts and ends with the Dreadknights who combine fire again into the Assault marines, both Hvy Psycannons hit and wipe the squad out (6 rends between them and a shed of failed saves). Draigo then passes 2 3+ saves once again as Corbulos luck runs out because he fails a save and Draigo activates his force weapon to instantly kill him. The Paladins get a 4” Consolidation towards the Landraider
BA
With only the landraider left that moves back and fires into the Paladins but fails killing 1.

We roll for turn6 and the game goes on!

Turn6

GK
It’s all about the Paladins getting into charge range of the Landraider, Coteaz casts Prescience and the squad move 6” forwards and need a 6” charge... after firing the Dreadknights and Paladins Psycannons at the Landraider no damage is done! So it’s all on the charge I roll a 6.. so make it into range, Hammerhand is cast, luckily 3 Hammers and Coteaz are left in the squad, the 3 Hammers get 2 pens between them, then Coteaz rolls like a beast and gets 4 glancing hits on his own!!!

SO another tabling win for the Paladins!!

Aftermath:
Well this game was fairly brutal for my opponent as we finished in little over an hour... but thats the way the dice go sometimes, I rolled a similar number of ones in my first league game against the Dark Eldar, I guess it goes to show the resilience of the Paladins who can have a shocking turn of dice and still come through (just!).

My opponent made a number of mistakes, but I thought a crucial one was turn2 when he charged the Death Company into the Paladins, I would of waited for my reserves to arrive or rushed the Landraider forwards and hit the Paladins with the Death Company AND the Assault Marines with Corbulo and even the Assault Marines with jump packs at the same time... feeding the Paladins a unit per turn is never going to work, even Wraiths will fail doing that.

I did learn to be more careful with Coteaz and his positioning, I should of deployed/moved the Paladins round and onto the bunker with the Psycannons and Coteaz on top for the perfect LOS...instead I got drawn into firstblood bait of the Attack Bikes who rolled crazy well with their 4+ FnP from Corbulo.

My reason behind choosing not to night fight turn even though Nick had a Landraider was that Night fighting would only help Nick advance and I didn't to not force him to move up close with the Landraider, I hope that he fell for this little mind game because he deployed the Landraider deep, but he may of just deployed it deep anyway... and I don't think it even left his deployment zone fully as a result. Because having a consolidated attack of the Death Company and 2 Assault squads would have been a nightmare!

So next up in the league is Dark Eldar and this list:

(Smallpox) Archon- Blast Pistol- Huskblade- Ghostplate- Shadow field- Combat drugs- Soul Trap- Haywire = 175
(Zebov Ebola) Ancient Haemonculus- Huskblade- Shattershard = 130
Cadre Fireblade = 60
Elites
Trueborn- 3 man ( 2 Dark Lance ) = 86
Grotesques- 3 man ( 1 liquefier- 1 Aberration with Venom Blade )
Raider- Dark lance- retro = 195
Riptide- Ion accelerator- Twin-linked Fusion blaster - counter fire defence system- early warning override system = 195
Troops
Warriors- 5 man (blaster)
Venom- extra cannon- flicker = 125
Warriors- 5 man (blaster)
Venom- extra cannon- flicker = 125
Wrack- 6 man ( 1 liquifier gun)
Raider- Dark lance- retro = 135
Wyches - 5 man ( Haywire )
Venom - extra cannon - Flicker = 130
Fire warriors- 7 man ( 1 Shas’ui- TL - ML ) = 88
Heavy Support
Ravager- 3 disintegrators - flicker field - Night shields = 125
Voidraven Bomber- 2 Void lances- Void Bomb- 1 Shatterfield missile - Flicker = 165
Skyray- Twin-linked smart missile system - 6 Seeker missiles - Velocity tracker - Two networked marker light - Blacksun Filter = 116

Quite different to my first league games Dark Eldar list, with added Tau, the Riptide is a beast.. with its STR8 AP2 large Blast hitting the Paladins each turn...

But my tactics are to go for the troops in an objective based mission, this way I cannot lose unless I’m tabled, which I’m quite sure could happen.. so I’m thinking of deep striking the Dreadknights next to the Riptide and hopefully next to a couple of troops choices, flame/blast the troops away, with help from whatever is in range, then charge the Riptide if I get a chance the following turn... while the large paladin moves up targeting whatever Dan leaves in range, which I don’t expect to be a lot. I could also do with the FnP Warlord trait for Coteaz... Well thats in a perfect world lol!

What do you guys think?
Embolden40k
Embolden40k
Henchmen
Henchmen

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by DOMIN4TRIX Fri May 24, 2013 9:54 am

Well played Embolden! Another tabling Very Happy

Thanks for the pictures, they really help - more for the next game please?

Good luck with the next one - ion and lance weapons! You will lose more men in the next one but his will die easier also.
DOMIN4TRIX
DOMIN4TRIX
Justicar
Justicar

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by SmokinBrown Fri May 24, 2013 7:31 pm

Well done!

Did Draigo not succeed in activating his force weapon before your opponent passed all his FNP rolls?

I agree with you about the death company, sounds like he doesn't have much experience facing grey knights tbh.

I hate the riptide, it's tough. Spent the whole game chasing one round the board with my dreadknight, with no success Sad I notice he isn't taking shield drones with it though, which is a huge bonus to you, makes it twice as easy to take out. I don't have any experience against dark elder mind but out of the tau units the riptide is a priority using draigowing, the ion accelerator hurts!

SB
SmokinBrown
SmokinBrown
Grey Knight
Grey Knight

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Embolden40k Sat May 25, 2013 12:46 am

DOMIN4TRIX wrote:Well played Embolden! Another tabling Very Happy

Thanks for the pictures, they really help - more for the next game please?

Good luck with the next one - ion and lance weapons! You will lose more men in the next one but his will die easier also.

Hey Dom,

Thanks for the comment as always!

Noted - more pics needed, I just get drawn into the game and totally forget to take pics!

Thanks - think I'm gonna need all the luck I can get! I've just got to keep focused on taking out his troops and hoping mine can survive just enough to capture 1 or 2 objectives... but it will be sooo hard!

SmokinBrown wrote:Well done!

Did Draigo not succeed in activating his force weapon before your opponent passed all his FNP rolls?

I agree with you about the death company, sounds like he doesn't have much experience facing grey knights tbh.

I hate the riptide, it's tough. Spent the whole game chasing one round the board with my dreadknight, with no success Sad I notice he isn't taking shield drones with it though, which is a huge bonus to you, makes it twice as easy to take out. I don't have any experience against dark elder mind but out of the tau units the riptide is a priority using draigowing, the ion accelerator hurts!

SB

Hey SB!

Ah, I think I know what you mean... Corbulo, yes that combat we did wrong come to think of it.. I didn't even roll for ID as Nick just rolled his FNP saves after I had roll my to wound rolls.. Although it didn't cost me too much, one to learn for the future! As I only rolled for ID after the FNP save had failed.

Nick has played GKs for a while, but never Paladins, so I'm not sure he was new what to do against my army in KPs after my reserves didn't arrive.

Yes the Riptide is brutal.. it's gonna be rough and I'm going to need to space out, which will mean I cannot protect the whole squad with Draigo, but I don't expect him to make it through the first shooting phase.. there is a whole heap of high STR AP2 fire power.. hmm
Embolden40k
Embolden40k
Henchmen
Henchmen

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by SmokinBrown Sat May 25, 2013 6:21 am

Yeah that's gonna be a tough match :s
SmokinBrown
SmokinBrown
Grey Knight
Grey Knight

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by DOMIN4TRIX Sat May 25, 2013 9:38 am

One good shooting phase from your 12 man squad should be enough to take the Riptide out - it's just the difficulty of positioning yourself aggressively enough to be in range early in the game whilst not leaving yourself wide open to attack by instant death weapons.

With the cluster formation you have to adopt when deepstriking and early warning overide's around I would suggest deepstriking will be hazardous.
DOMIN4TRIX
DOMIN4TRIX
Justicar
Justicar

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Embolden40k Tue May 28, 2013 5:30 am

Cheers Dom, well some Ebay purchases arrived a little earlier than expected...

Destroyer Lord
5 Immortals in Nightscythe
6 Wraiths
1 Annihilation Barge...

Looks like I'm changing my list before tonight to give them a try! (I'm 5pts clear in the league and top2 qualify for the next round.. and there is a soft blood angels list to come)

So to cram that lot in I'm dropping the Banner from the large Paladin squad, adding 5 Warrior Acolytes, dropping the 5 man Paladin squad and 1 Dreadknight, plus the Psycannon off the other..

So this leaves the list looking like:

Draigo
Coteaz
Destroyer Lord
10 Paladins - 4 Psycannons, Psybolt
5 Warrior Acolytes
5 Immortals in Nightscythe
6 Wraiths
Dreadknight
Annihilation Barge

Looks fairly solid and I've wanted to try Necrons in 6th since everyone has been raving about them!

What do you guys think?
Embolden40k
Embolden40k
Henchmen
Henchmen

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by SmokinBrown Tue May 28, 2013 5:46 am

Looks good! I just bought some Necrons myself, got the army box and an annihilation barge. Just started the long task of painting my ghost ark Sad

SB
SmokinBrown
SmokinBrown
Grey Knight
Grey Knight

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Embolden40k Tue May 28, 2013 7:33 am

Hey SB,
Looking forward to seeing the results of painting, managed to basecoat the immortals, destroyer lord and 3 wraiths at lunch today!
Embolden40k
Embolden40k
Henchmen
Henchmen

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by SmokinBrown Tue May 28, 2013 7:51 am

Nice job, Its tedious basing Necrons Sad Don't expect any fantastic results, I'm not exactly gifted in the painting department haha. I've just started basing them with leadbelcher, then doing a wash of nuln oi, then a wash of agrax earthshade. Not decided what I'm doing for the details yet though. And I decided to go with the bright green sticks in the guns just out of sheer lasiness so I don't have to paint more bits. Grey Knights are my pride and joy, I just got some Necrons cos I fancied playing with something else for a change. I've only painted most of my Draigo, most of 5 guys from a strike squad, most of 5 interceptors and a few bits on some paladins, but I've not finished any lol. I'll upload a picture in a bit.

SB
SmokinBrown
SmokinBrown
Grey Knight
Grey Knight

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next