Ghost Knight Loadout

:: Tactica

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Ghost Knight Loadout

Post by jb317 on Sun Mar 10, 2013 5:54 am

Hi folks,

As the title says, I need a load out for Mordraks Ghosts Knights.

I'm thinking all Halberds, or 1 DH + rest Halberds(?)

Or possibly Halberds + Banner.

What do you think?

jb317
Henchmen
Henchmen

Number of posts : 105
Registration date : 2012-12-31

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Ghost Knight Loadout

Post by volvoe on Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:24 am

I think Mordrak provides enough attacks with his hammer so I put the whole squad with Halberds. I don't expect them all to get into close combat though. After deep striking I've learned that this little unit is going to take a lot of heat before they get into close combat. Plus overwatch, pie plates, and what other shenanigans like precision shots. Precision shots will make sure your guy with the banner will drop and then he'll be a waste of points. But I like a banner if you have multiple IC's in the squad (DFOC). It could be fun. Razz And another note is that your squad can activate your force weapons on their own without using Mordrak's psychic powers (he's an upgraded unit) so he could cast hammer hand on the squad, or vice versa. If you really want your squad to get +1 Attack wouldn't it be cheaper to run falchions? It's really up to you and how you want them to work. Higher Initiative or more attacks?

volvoe
Henchmen
Henchmen

Number of posts : 223
Army : Purifier Variant
Registration date : 2012-04-06

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jb317 on Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:35 am

I was leaning towards all Halberds to be honest. I think I'll go with that.

With regards to his retinue, I'm still not sure how it works entirely... How many Ghost Knights does he start with before he starts adding them in due to taking wounds?

jb317
Henchmen
Henchmen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Constantine on Sun Mar 10, 2013 10:40 am

I believe that the max. allowable number of Ghost Knight models one can have on-the-board is 8. Thatís 5 for the squad, and a possible 3 more from Mordrakís rules.

+++"There is nothing in the arcane and blasphemous arsenal of the forces of Chaos that can compare to faith. With the power of faith, our weapons become shining instruments of deliverance that can cleave the mightiest daemon in twain. With the power of faith, our minds appear as slivers of pure agony to the daemon, driving into the wretched forms of those who would dare stand before us. With the power of faith, our words become commands that cause the daemon to cower and cringe in terror. I could meet my enemies unarmed without a shred of fear in my chest, for I know that the Emperor watches over me and guides my hand. So let them come. We shall show them what the power of faith can do."+++ (Brother Captain Stern)

Constantine
Adeptus Moderatus
Adeptus Moderatus

Number of posts : 5793
Army : Grand Master Mordrak's Brotherhood, Deathwing...Pretty much any first company! I LOVE terminators!!!
Registration date : 2008-05-26

Grey knight
stats:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Souba on Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:15 pm

if you play wysiwyg i advice you to do at least 2 with swords as addition. as the ghost knights that spawn from modraks special rule come with the default wargear. wich is the nemesis force sword.

Souba
Brother Captain
Brother Captain

Number of posts : 1587
Army : Inquisitorial Army, Necrons, Dark Eldar, Daemons of Chaos
Registration date : 2009-11-07

Grey knight
stats:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jb317 on Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:35 pm

Thank you Constantine and Souba, I will take this into consideration. Good shout on the WYISWYG swords things.

jb317
Henchmen
Henchmen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jb317 on Sun Mar 10, 2013 12:35 pm

It should be 3 with swords though, no?

jb317
Henchmen
Henchmen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tiberian on Sun Mar 10, 2013 1:06 pm

Technically, yes. I don't think I would do a demon hammer since mordrak already has one I would do 2 halberds 3 swords. Keep the swords up front to take the 4+ invulnerable when needed.

Tiberian
Henchmen
Henchmen

Number of posts : 112
Army : Grey Knights, Tau, Orks
Registration date : 2012-01-16

Grey knight
stats:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jb317 on Sun Mar 10, 2013 1:20 pm

Is that 2 halberds and 3 swords in the retinue that Mordrak gets deployed with Tiberian? I was assuming I could do 5 halberds deployed with Mordrak plus 3 swords that come in as a result of wounds.

jb317
Henchmen
Henchmen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by bigbri on Sun Mar 10, 2013 1:30 pm

GK termies are so easy to magnetise at the wrist, so do so and give your first 5 guys whatever wargear you want and then if you have to reuse a dead one as a freshly spawned one you can stick on the sword.
I used to go all halberds, but now I'm tempted by throwing in some more hammers. Now it's safer to DS into terrain, and with stealth they can be survivable, so I was planning to draw some firepower by making them look scarier.

bigbri
Justicar
Justicar

Number of posts : 712
Army : Grey Knights/Space Wolves/Imperial Guard
Registration date : 2010-08-04

Grey knight
stats:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Constantine on Sun Mar 10, 2013 2:25 pm

bigbri wrote:GK termies are so easy to magnetise at the wrist, so do so and give your first 5 guys whatever wargear you want and then if you have to reuse a dead one as a freshly spawned one you can stick on the sword.
I used to go all halberds, but now I'm tempted by throwing in some more hammers. Now it's safer to DS into terrain, and with stealth they can be survivable, so I was planning to draw some firepower by making them look scarier.

The magnatizing comment is a great one Brother. I also like the idea of giving some of the ghost knights hammers...very visually cool and tactically fun given that you are close to things to smash Twisted Evil . I would be cautious about using this unit just as a fire magnet though, kind of expensive. pale

+++"There is nothing in the arcane and blasphemous arsenal of the forces of Chaos that can compare to faith. With the power of faith, our weapons become shining instruments of deliverance that can cleave the mightiest daemon in twain. With the power of faith, our minds appear as slivers of pure agony to the daemon, driving into the wretched forms of those who would dare stand before us. With the power of faith, our words become commands that cause the daemon to cower and cringe in terror. I could meet my enemies unarmed without a shred of fear in my chest, for I know that the Emperor watches over me and guides my hand. So let them come. We shall show them what the power of faith can do."+++ (Brother Captain Stern)

Constantine
Adeptus Moderatus
Adeptus Moderatus

Army : Grand Master Mordrak's Brotherhood, Deathwing...Pretty much any first company! I LOVE terminators!!!

Grey knight
stats:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jb317 on Sun Mar 10, 2013 3:09 pm

I've got two boxes of GKT to play with. I'd like to make a good Ghost Knight complement, and make the remainder into standard GKT's. What's the most economical way of going about it? I now don't think 8 ghosts are necessary. Maybe 6?

jb317
Henchmen
Henchmen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Constantine on Sun Mar 10, 2013 4:55 pm

So that is 6 ghost knights and 4 to play with...
You will need to decide on load outs first brother, then IMHO magnets will be your best friends.

Constantine
Adeptus Moderatus
Adeptus Moderatus

Grey knight
stats:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jb317 on Sun Mar 10, 2013 5:01 pm

Mordrak's retinue can have 1-5 iirc before more come in for wounds taken on him. I'm going to magnetize for swords/halberds.

Edit: Ah right, I misinterpreted your last post Constantine. Yes, I think I'm going to make the other 4 normal GKT's.

jb317
Henchmen
Henchmen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by bigbri on Sun Mar 10, 2013 6:23 pm

Constantine wrote:
bigbri wrote:GK termies are so easy to magnetise at the wrist, so do so and give your first 5 guys whatever wargear you want and then if you have to reuse a dead one as a freshly spawned one you can stick on the sword.

The magnatizing comment is a great one Brother. I also like the idea of giving some of the ghost knights hammers...very visually cool and tactically fun given that you are close to things to smash Twisted Evil . I would be cautious about using this unit just as a fire magnet though, kind of expensive. pale
True it's pretty expensive, but if it diverts firepower away from the rest of my stuff it's worth it. Dropping them into a ruin(which we use a lot of locally) gives them 2+ armour and 3+ cover. If they get shot at they can take plenty of firepower, potentially spawning more guys. If they don't get shot at then I havea group capable of causing some serious damage right in my opponents zone.

@jb317 I find 3mm x 1mm round magnets to be perfect for GKT arms, but it takes a very careful touch to drill the hand out

bigbri
Justicar
Justicar

Number of posts : 712
Army : Grey Knights/Space Wolves/Imperial Guard
Registration date : 2010-08-04

Grey knight
stats:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tiberian on Sun Mar 10, 2013 6:48 pm

Magnets would be a good idea here. But for the original 5 I would probably do 3 halberds 2 swords with 1-3 backup sword knights but you will possibly have 2 dead swords to reuse. Like I said before I don't see the point in another daemon hammer since mordrak already has one. Originally I was thinking you only wanted to use one terminator box here.

Tiberian
Henchmen
Henchmen

Number of posts : 112
Army : Grey Knights, Tau, Orks
Registration date : 2012-01-16

Grey knight
stats:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jeffersonian000 on Sun Mar 10, 2013 8:08 pm

I play a Ghostwing, and have 9 Ghost Knights set up as follows:

4 Halbards
3 Swords (spawned Knights)
1 Hammer
1 Banner

Of course, I'm only going to take 5 max with Mordrak, plus the 3 that might spawn. But sometimes I want a Banner, or an extra Hammer.

SJ

jeffersonian000
Henchmen
Henchmen

Number of posts : 107
Army : Knights of the Word
Registration date : 2009-06-08

Grey knight
stats:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by jb317 on Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:03 pm

Well in an ideal world I'd only need to use one termie box, however I don't want to short change myself in the event that I need more. I think I'm going to go 3 halberds 3 swords in total, then paint up the 4 unused as normal termies.

jb317
Henchmen
Henchmen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 10:17 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top