Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Slightly...odd...listing - please read in full 1000 points

5 posters

Go down

Slightly...odd...listing - please read in full 1000 points Empty Slightly...odd...listing - please read in full 1000 points

Post by PurityinFlames Sun Feb 24, 2013 2:27 am

There's a guy at our local club who gets beaten all the time. And I don't mean he has close games and then makes a slight error and the game tips in his opponents failure. I'm talking about getting tabled every game, his most recent game lasted 3 turns...

He plays Chaos Marines and I think his main issue is that his, usually, more experienced opponents know what he's going to be fielding and take the best foil to that.

I was meant to play him yesterday, but got drawn into a 3 on 3 875 point game which took my whole afternoon - but we have rescheduled for 9th March. And so to my list.

I'm looking to build a list that, hopefully, will force a closer game, maybe even lose. I kind of feel sorry for this guy and want him to get the confidence to carry on playing. At the same time, however, I don't want him to feel that he's playing a list designed to lose...

So, it's 1000 points of stuff that I really can't stand, although need to get painted. I'm currently torn between keeping the Callidus or replacing it with a Culexus and using the spare 10 points to put a psycannon in the psilencer unit instead...

Any advice would be appreciated, but remember, this is a list for a relative n00b to play and to actually stand a chance against...

[HQ]
Grand Master [175 points]
Master Crafted Psycannon (50 points)
Master Crafted Nemesis Force Halberd (10 points)
Digital Weapons (5 points)
Rad Grenades (15 points)
255 points

[Elite]
Callidus Assassin
145 points

[Troops]
Strike Squad [100 points]
Psilencer (Free)
Justicar has Force Halberd (5 points)
105 points

[Dedicated Transport]
Razorback with Twin-Linked Heavy Bolters [45 points]
Psybolt Ammunition (5 points)
Searchlight (1 point)
Storm Bolter (10 points)
50 points

[Troops]
Strike Squad [100 points]
Psycannon (10 points)
Justicar has Force Halberd (5 points)
115 points

[Heavy Support]
Dreadnought [115 points]
Assault Cannon (10 points)
Missile Launcher (15 points)
Psybolt Ammunition (5 points)
Searchlight (1 point)
136 points

[Heavy Support]
Purgation Squad [100 points]
4 Psycannons (80 points)
Justicar has Force Halberd (3 points)
183 points

PurityinFlames
Henchmen
Henchmen

Number of posts : 167
Registration date : 2012-11-29

Back to top Go down

Slightly...odd...listing - please read in full 1000 points Empty Re: Slightly...odd...listing - please read in full 1000 points

Post by Alladin the Paladin Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:23 am

While I appreciate your approach, I think a bigger help would be to talk to him beforehand and see if he wants your help in learning his list...

If you bring an army made to lose, even if he wins it is only temporary, as he will continue getting spanked by the other guys.

If he is interested in critique, you can play and give him your rationale for your moves, why you are targeting his units or flanking him a certain way, and then on his turn see what he wants to do and suggest alternative options if his strategy is not sound...

Also, if he does not want (or can't afford) to change his units, maybe he can change his load outs... Or even arrange a counts-as game to show him a more efficient list.

If his list is designed to be fluffy, then there is not much you can do.

If I love termies and want to field an all termies/paladin list, I will expect to get spammed by certain armies.

Honesty is the best policy. Also, if you still win with your crap list, it may make him feel even worse...
Alladin the Paladin
Alladin the Paladin
Grey Knight
Grey Knight

Number of posts : 250
Registration date : 2012-07-19

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Slightly...odd...listing - please read in full 1000 points Empty Re: Slightly...odd...listing - please read in full 1000 points

Post by Tiberian Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:39 am

+1 but I love that your heart is in the right place. You could always deepstrike a lot of units a little too close to the table edge. Smile My buddies and I have quite a few counts as games to try new tactics and loadouts and with him having the new chaos codex he should be able to build something that can get the job done.
Tiberian
Tiberian
Henchmen
Henchmen

Number of posts : 112
Army : Grey Knights, Tau, Orks
Registration date : 2012-01-16

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Constantine Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:49 am

+1 Brothers ATP, and T.

Brother Purity in flames, this guy needs to learn how to play, not to be given a victory. Also, does he care that he is loosing, or is he just enjoying the game? How old is he?

I would echo the advice already suggested...
- Look at his list, is it ever going to work? If not why, if yes, why isn't it?
- Advize him of what you are doing with your army during the game, talk with him about why he chosses certain moves/actions/etc... suggest what he may want to consider doing with his turn if he asks.

Your quality is shinning through Brother! But you can give this guy SO much more by helping him to learn rather than taking a fall.

And remember..... Never underestimate your enemy! The ways of Chaos are not to be understood, this may be a plan by the dark guards to make you lower your guard!!! Suspect Rolling Eyes Razz ....................... Suspect

Constantine
Constantine
Adeptus Moderatus
Adeptus Moderatus

Number of posts : 5819
Army : Grand Master Mordrak's Brotherhood, Deathwing...Pretty much any first company! I LOVE terminators!!!
Registration date : 2008-05-26

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by first strike Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:37 pm

I agree with my brothers here, take him under your wing, play a few doubles games with him. If he is getting beaten all the time then there is something he is doing wrong . Either list or just his play style. I would not play down to him but do find out what he wants out of the gaming, he might be happy with just being social, but I think that we all like to win or at least have a go every now and then.
first strike
first strike
Grey Knight
Grey Knight

Number of posts : 409
Army : Grey Knights, Eldar, Space Wolves, High Elf
Registration date : 2012-02-08

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down