Abbreviations and slang section.

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Abbreviations and slang section.

Post by Klomster on Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:32 pm

Greetings battle brothers, this one is targeted more towards the newer demographic and is designed for one thing.

What on earth do we mean when we are talking of PAGK? Or GKT's?

This section is to address that, it will take up many common abbreviations (or short versions) of 40k and forum related nature.
If ended with an 's, like GKT's, it means it is plural.

Do know that not all things are to be taken serious. Just a warning.

Abbreviations.

A
AdMech = Adeptus Mechanicus.
ATSKNF = And They Shall Know No Fear universal special rule

B
BA = Blood Angels
BS = Ballistic Skill alternative BullShit, depends on situation.
BT = Black Templar
BOLS = Bell Of Lost Souls. A site that post a lot of reviews and sometimes custom fanmade-rules.
BP = Boss Pole

C
CC = Close Combat
CCW= Close Combat Weapon.
C&C = Comments and criticism. Often used as "Please C&C on my list." Which refers to the person wanting advice and or praise.

D
DA = Dark Angels
DE = Dark Eldar
DCCW = Dreadnought Close Combat Weapon.
DKoK = Death Korps of Krieg.
DOW = Dawn Of War. Mostly referring to the games.

E

F
FNP = Feel No Pain.

G
GW = Games Workshop. (You might have heard that one before.)
GK = Grey knights
GEQ = Guard equivalent troops
GKT = Greyknight Terminators
GM = Grandmaster
GS = Green Stuff. A two part epoxi clay initially designed for sealing pipes when plumbing but it found its way into modelling and are used widely for sculpting and converting.

H
HS = Heavy Support
HQ = HeadQuarters, can also be used like this. "Your list doesn't have any HQ, NOOB!!! LOL 1337 H4X0R!!!11!1!1!!1!"

I
IG = Imperial Guard.
IL = Inquisitor Lord. The great founder of this forum and generally important.
IMO = In My Opinion.
IMHO = In My Humble Opinion. Is more gentleman-like and people who use this instead of IMO get more attractive and earn more money.....
IC = Independant Character. An old name for single character units whom are often HQ, they can join other units and stuff.
IA = Index Astartes, old books filled with background, pictures and general knowledge about many 40k armies. Sometimes even rules. Read them if you have the chance.
IIRC = If I Recall Correctly.

J

K

L
LOS = Line of Sight
LoS! = Look out Sir!
LOTR = Lord Of The Rings.
LR = Landraider
LRR = Landraider Redeemer
LRC = Landraider Crusader

M
MEQ = Marine equivalent troops

N
NDK = Nemesis Dreadknight
NFW = Nemesis force weapons

O
OMI = Ordo Malleus Inquisitor
OHI = Ordo Hereticus Inquisitor
OXI = Ordo Xenos Inquisitor
OOP = Out Of Production or Print. This can only be obtained through personal trade since the producers doesn't sell them any more. Or have gone bankrupt. Often rare items.
OSL = Object Source Lighting. A style of painting in which a fixed light source on the model such as the eyes,a staff, power weapon, etc..is used as the point from which highlights are applied.
OOC = Out Of Context. Generally only used in roleplay. Used to convey out of cotext messages. Example. [OOC: This is out of context.]

P
PA = Power Armoured units
PAGK = Power Armoured Grey Knight
PSYFLEMAN = Dreadnought with 2 Auto cannons and psybolt ammunition upgrade
PDF = Planetary Defense Force. Easily confused with .pdf documents.
.pdf = Portable Document Format
PK = Power Klaw

Q

R
RB = Razorback
RP = Role Play, often play by post. As the commonly played games are referred more commonly to as RPG's.

S
SMURFS = Ultramarines
SM = Space marines.
SB = Stormbolter
SW = Space Wolves
SOB = Sisters Of Battle. This is not an indication for you to sob. Even if we know you want to. It's ok, we still like you Very Happy

T
TDA = Tactical Dreadnought Armour / Terminator Armour
TGKVITST = The Great Klomster Voice In The Sky Thingie.
TLLC = Twin-Linked Las-Cannon.

U
USR = Universal special rule
UFO = Unidentified Flying Object

V

W
WS = Weapon Skill
WYSIWYG = What You See Is What You Get. The fact that all the wargear you bought on your model is represented on the model. This can often score and/or lose you points in some tournaments since it is seen as important. And to ignore it is considered rude unless you are Proxying.

X

Y

Z

____________________________________________________________________________________________

Slang

A

B
Beardy = This refers to something or someone as acting especially cringe-worthy and annoying and to enforce something as Broken. This slang dates back to a time when warhammer fantasy dwarfs was very unbalanced compared to the other forces. And the slang stayed on. Example of use is "Your list is beardy."
Broken = Game-breakingly unbalanced and/or boringly overpowered compared to its points cost. Broken units are never popular by those who face them. Field them with caution.

C
Crons = Necrons, often used as "the Crons" or "have you tried playing Crons yet?"

D

E

F
Fluff = The background of something. People always whine that this is getting worse. (Which it is.)
40k = Warhammer 40'000 miniature war-game. Some game you've probably never heard of.
Fanmade = Rules or fiction made by someone who likes a set of work so much he/she is nearly obsessed with it. (Overstatements doesn't exist) Not to be confused with made by a fan which is ridiculous since fans only have a propeller and no arms.

G
Greenstuff = To greenstuff something means convert or sculpt something from scratch. The term is used regardless of what putty is actually used.

H

I

J

K

L

M

N
Nids = Tyranids, used as "The Nids" or "Have you fought any Nid armies?"

O

P
Proxy = Proxy of a model or proxying is the act of taking something roughly similar to the correct model and play the game with that instead of real models. It is great for testing army lists and see how new models play. But to never buy the real models is considered cheap and rude if you only ever proxy.

Q

R

S
SMURFS = Ultramarines
Storime = Stormtrooper. mostly referring to 40k ones.

T
Termie = Terminator from warhammer 40'000 miniature war-game.

U
Ultrasmurfs = Also Ultramarines.

V

W

X

Y

Z

That is just a few of the common abbreviations and slang used on this and many other forums alike.

If you feel i have forgotten something, please feel free to post here and suggest it, and describe why. Do know that just coming up with knew ones isn't really that common.
These abbreviations were picked since i feel they are common and most understand them when mentioned.

Last edited by Klomster on Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:56 pm; edited 1 time in total

Klomster
Adeptus Administratum
Adeptus Administratum

Number of posts : 4153
Army : Think positive, it will soon get worse. (Mechanicus)
Registration date : 2007-12-21

Grey knight
stats:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Abbreviations and slang section.

Post by Klomster on Sat Feb 09, 2013 8:43 pm

Do remember to suggest slangs and terms i have forgotten. I cheated and stole some from heresy online.

Oh, and don't forget to read it through.
I hid a few funnies in Twisted Evil

Klomster
Adeptus Administratum
Adeptus Administratum

Grey knight
stats:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rivan on Sun Feb 10, 2013 1:17 pm

TGKVITST? Razz

"Though we face the power of hell, and death is at our side, we fear not, for the Emperor is with us through it all. If we live, we live for the Emperor. If we die, we die for the Emperor. So whether we live or die, we are the Emperor's. We are Grey Knights and this is why we came to be." --Grandmaster Rivan

"It is said that if you know your enemies and know yourself, you will not be imperiled in a hundred battles; if you do not know your enemies but do know yourself, you will win one and lose one; if you do not know your enemies nor yourself, you will be imperiled in every single battle." --Sun Tzu (from ancient Earth)

Rivan
Adeptus Moderatus
Adeptus Moderatus

Number of posts : 4389
Army : Grey Knights 7th Brotherhood, Salamanders
Registration date : 2009-03-05

Grey knight
stats:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Constantine on Sun Feb 10, 2013 1:23 pm

Oh Brother Klomster Rolling Eyes

+++"There is nothing in the arcane and blasphemous arsenal of the forces of Chaos that can compare to faith. With the power of faith, our weapons become shining instruments of deliverance that can cleave the mightiest daemon in twain. With the power of faith, our minds appear as slivers of pure agony to the daemon, driving into the wretched forms of those who would dare stand before us. With the power of faith, our words become commands that cause the daemon to cower and cringe in terror. I could meet my enemies unarmed without a shred of fear in my chest, for I know that the Emperor watches over me and guides my hand. So let them come. We shall show them what the power of faith can do."+++ (Brother Captain Stern)

Constantine
Adeptus Moderatus
Adeptus Moderatus

Number of posts : 5790
Army : Grand Master Mordrak's Brotherhood, Deathwing...Pretty much any first company! I LOVE terminators!!!
Registration date : 2008-05-26

Grey knight
stats:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Klomster on Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:48 pm

Razz

Klomster
Adeptus Administratum
Adeptus Administratum

Grey knight
stats:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DonFer on Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:44 pm

LOL Smurfs!

DonFer
Terminator
Terminator

Number of posts : 1398
Registration date : 2010-10-21

Grey knight
stats:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Constantine on Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:03 am

Can we add OSL (Object Source Lighting) please sunny

+++"There is nothing in the arcane and blasphemous arsenal of the forces of Chaos that can compare to faith. With the power of faith, our weapons become shining instruments of deliverance that can cleave the mightiest daemon in twain. With the power of faith, our minds appear as slivers of pure agony to the daemon, driving into the wretched forms of those who would dare stand before us. With the power of faith, our words become commands that cause the daemon to cower and cringe in terror. I could meet my enemies unarmed without a shred of fear in my chest, for I know that the Emperor watches over me and guides my hand. So let them come. We shall show them what the power of faith can do."+++ (Brother Captain Stern)

Constantine
Adeptus Moderatus
Adeptus Moderatus

Army : Grand Master Mordrak's Brotherhood, Deathwing...Pretty much any first company! I LOVE terminators!!!

Grey knight
stats:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Constantine on Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:08 am

Constantine wrote:Can we add OSL (Object Source Lighting) please sunny

Yes of course! LOL! Razz I forgot that I could do this myself Embarassed

Constantine
Adeptus Moderatus
Adeptus Moderatus

Grey knight
stats:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Klomster on Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:43 am

Seems like i forgot that one.

Also seems you fixed it yourself.

Klomster
Adeptus Administratum
Adeptus Administratum

Grey knight
stats:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Rivan on Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:19 am

Constantine wrote:
Constantine wrote:Can we add OSL (Object Source Lighting) please sunny

Yes of course! LOL! Razz I forgot that I could do this myself Embarassed

Hahaha lol!

"Though we face the power of hell, and death is at our side, we fear not, for the Emperor is with us through it all. If we live, we live for the Emperor. If we die, we die for the Emperor. So whether we live or die, we are the Emperor's. We are Grey Knights and this is why we came to be." --Grandmaster Rivan

"It is said that if you know your enemies and know yourself, you will not be imperiled in a hundred battles; if you do not know your enemies but do know yourself, you will win one and lose one; if you do not know your enemies nor yourself, you will be imperiled in every single battle." --Sun Tzu (from ancient Earth)

Rivan
Adeptus Moderatus
Adeptus Moderatus

Number of posts : 4389
Army : Grey Knights 7th Brotherhood, Salamanders
Registration date : 2009-03-05

Grey knight
stats:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Klomster on Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:10 am

Can someone add this.

OOC = Out Of Context. Generally only used in roleplay. Used to convey out of cotext messages. Example. [OOC: This is out of context.]

My internet is carping out and won't let me.

Klomster
Adeptus Administratum
Adeptus Administratum

Grey knight
stats:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Constantine on Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:17 am

Klomster wrote:Can someone add this.

My internet is carping out and won't let me.

Done.

Constantine
Adeptus Moderatus
Adeptus Moderatus

Grey knight
stats:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 11:00 pm

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top