Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Semi-Competitive Mordrak 2000 pts

2 posters

Go down

Semi-Competitive Mordrak 2000 pts Empty Semi-Competitive Mordrak 2000 pts

Post by volvoe Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:10 pm

So in the past I've posted a lot of different lists, but I really want to play Mordrak even though a lot of people don't believe he's very good. Here's my 2000 point list, of course it could be tweaked because unfortunately I won't be able to play them until the summer time since I got to college out of state and didn't bring them with me Sad . However I do have time to theory-craft!

Grand Master Mordrak - 5 Ghost Knights w/ Halberds
Librarian - NWS, Might of Titan, Sanctuary, The Shrouding, Warp Rift, Teleport Homer
Callidus Assassin
10 GKSS - 2 Psycannons, Justicar w/ Halberd
10 GKSS - 2 Psycannons, Justicar w/ Halberd
10 GKIS - 1 Psycannon, 1 Incinerator, Justicar w/ Halberd
Psyfleman Dread
Nemesis Dreadknight - Gatling Psilencer, Heavy Incinerator
Aegis Defense Line with Quad Gun

It's pretty standard nothing too special. The only problem is fliers Embarassed but it takes care of infantry pretty well. Anti-tank would be the the NDK, Dread, Mordrak + Libby, and perhaps the autocannon from the quad gun.

Tactica:
  • The main point is no matter what you focus on there will be other threats.

• I know the assassin isn't too much of a threat but that's kind of the point. It's supposed to draw fire away from your larger threats. However it is very anti-infantry with low leadership, which I like a lot.

• The Mordrak Unit is pretty beefy with the Librarian but they are of course the centerpiece of the army. They're bound to take a lot of heat turn 1 and turn 2. But thankfully you have Stealth, the Shrouding, Nightfighting, and terrain on your side. His squad of I6 Terminators + Hammer Hand + Might of Titan + Sanctuary + Force Weapons is very unappetizing to charge at. Shooting wise you have Warp Rift and regular storm bolters (a shame they couldn't carry flamers or special weapons but they're ghosts!)

• In the past they always lasted multiple rounds of shooting. I'm pretty sure you won't get boarded turn one if you're going second; you just have to place your units out of sight. This army takes full advantage of night fighting! You have 2 stealthy units plus putting your men into cover will help you drastically survive until your Grand Master arrives first to the fray! Also with this list it'll help deny getting first blooded if you deploy correctly. Another thing is that it tempts the other player to focus on their side of the table edge since your warlord is over on the other side (most likely Mordrak will be the Warlord due to his multiple wounds and fluff wise).

• The Librarian is there to accept challenges and buff the squad. His teleport homer will get your NDK and/or GKSS on the field. Mordrak could use Psychic Communion to help out your reserve rolls.

• Grand Strategy will make the Interceptor squad, Dreadnought, and/or NDK into scoring units depending the army and on the Dice Gods. If it's kill point (victory point) mission you could always make scout rolls, counter attack, or re-roll ones on any squad (except Mordraks Sad )

• There isn't a lot of anti-air but hey if you could take our their scoring units, everything will be okay!

Any thoughts or advice are welcome. I know I should make the GKSS more mobile (rhino) but they are going to hold objectives and man the quad gun. A Vindicare assassin or a second Psyfleman Dread would be a lot better but I want an Alpha strike-y list. Razz I know this list doesn't take full advantage of 6th edition rules but I think it's still fun and playable. In a tournament setting I'm probably not going to be playing to win the whole show but rather play for experience and fun of the game.

volvoe
volvoe
Henchmen
Henchmen

Number of posts : 223
Army : Purifier Variant
Registration date : 2012-04-06

Back to top Go down

Semi-Competitive Mordrak 2000 pts Empty Re: Semi-Competitive Mordrak 2000 pts

Post by Rivan Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:29 pm

The build really calls for an aggressive style of play (very similar to my list's style). I don't have any experience in using Mordrak but you're right, his unit will definitely attract a lot of fire in the first two turns.

Since you will probably DS Mordrak + Libby and ghost knights where you can use warp rift, be wary of getting multi-charged. Even a tough unit can get overwhelmed.

However, I'm assuming that you'll probably DS them in terrain of some sort to get a good cover saves and use psychic communion to DS the NDK and GKSS for backup.

The quadgun will give you some measure of anti-air so that'll help Smile
Rivan
Rivan
Adeptus Moderatus
Adeptus Moderatus

Number of posts : 4404
Army : Grey Knights 7th Brotherhood, Salamanders
Registration date : 2009-03-05

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by volvoe Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:11 pm

I didn't consider getting multi-charged. Usually I drop down Mordrak on top of a squishy unit. Or a squad that's holding an objective that doesn't ever want to see close combat. That way I turtle on their deployment zone and yes back up will come Very Happy With this list you will get line breaker and hopefully first blood. The problem with the quad gun is that it could be shot at. It's toughness 7 with 2 wounds. I usually play against dark eldar, and their poison weapons will surely get rid of the quad gun. But hey what they don't shoot at only makes us deadlier.
volvoe
volvoe
Henchmen
Henchmen

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:53 pm

Taking 2 expansive Hq's is not a good idea. If you are... Make them better.

The Gatling psilencer on the NDK is completely terrible. Heavy psycannon is better, however I wouldn't waste the points on a second gun, take the sword instead.

Ummmm I don't know what else to tell you without getting to competitive unless you want me too, in which case I will facepalm myself.

Back to top Go down

Post by volvoe Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:55 pm

Sure, I'd like to see you facepalm Razz but any insight will do. I mean here we're supposed to share information that will help us. So go ahead and spill your infinite knowledge on competitive play!
volvoe
volvoe
Henchmen
Henchmen

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:02 am

I see what you are trying to do with the aegis and guad gun, it would be better to take another psyfle dread and some rhinos for you strike squads. Drop the assassin, change mordrak for a standard grandmaster, they are way better. Librarian to expansive. Keep him cheap and take divination powers, PRESCIENCE!! Try and fit in more psyfle dreads, make the NDK cheaper, and take out the assassin. Major points sink.

Back to top Go down

Post by volvoe Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:38 am

I think you repeated yourself a few times.. lol! So basically a Grand Master + Inquistor list. Razz

The point is to make this list better not change it completely. I agree that these are pretty expensive HQ choices. But lets say I drop the Defense line. I lose my anti-air. Drop the Callidus, yeah there are better choices. HOWEVER, you can guarantee yourself first blood and line breaker (with Mordrak of course). I know you probably don't like this list because it's not optimal nor do other "serious competitive players" play it. But can you say it could work? Or see its potential? When denying first blood and getting line breaker, that puts you up 2 points (one point that they will never get back). This list is an all up in your face tactic. It's basically giving the opponent limited choices. Either deal with what's on your side of the board OR ignore the large threat of a NDK, Mordrak Bomb, GKSS, Interceptors and try to contest the shooting from the other side of the board. Either way they're only going to go for one side of the table's objectives.

What I'm looking to hear is counter tactics to this type of plan and how to counter act those counters. Instead of looking at pure numbers I'd rather we take it in the approach of tactics and strategy. How well would other armies respond with their equipment? Is there an army able to take care of both sides of the field even though I've dropped a bomb on theirs? bounce

I'm tired of hearing people say: "What? You're playing Grey Knights? They're full of Cheese! You're only going to win because they're ridiculously over powered." TO me it's more satisfying playing a fun, unique army and winning with it or even do fairly well against "optimized lists." If you have competitive experience I'd like to hear what match ups I'd be strong against or weak against. I mean if 40k only depended on how optimal your army is, wouldn't everyone be playing the same army? It's how well you play your army. Of course that's not to say that there are horrendous lists that definitely needs work and there are arms that are more cost efficient. But I've seen people play Sisters of Battle and beat Top Tier armies. Sisters of Battle aren't even considered to be a stand alone army.
volvoe
volvoe
Henchmen
Henchmen

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:15 am

I'm not saying change your list entirely. Just becuase you take inquisitorial Hq's doesn't mean you have to take henchman. I said you can keep those ones, just make them better. Don't take mordrak, take a generic grandmaster with atleast rad grenades and that other 1 I can never spell. Take your termies and Libby and deep strike them if you wish, take halberd on both characters I7 grandmaster and reducing the toughness of units. It's much more effective at killing a unit. Take divination, there's a chance to buff your Libby's damage output or 4++ instead of 5++ for the termies... Or to really make that a nasty unit, malidiction... Re roll successful saves on your opponent!

Anti air... Bro, 1 strike squad and 1 dreadnought took out 2 vendettas at 750 points today! Replace the aegis... You're a f$&@ing grey knight.... With psyfle dreads. Nuff said.

Your NDK is sooooo great as it is... Just the teleport and incinerator quadruples its dmg output... With the tattling psilencer, it's too expansive and doesn't increase damaged output.

You know yourself, as you said. You should take some rhinos to make your strike squads more mobile! Protection and speed.

I hope this helps get more out of your list and still maintaining you theme and idea.

Back to top Go down

Post by volvoe Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:15 am

If you talk about competitive you'll realize a lot of competitive lists run Aegis Defense Line. Grey Knights talk about their protection from the power of the aegis! Razz So it's fluffy and good at the same time! And I never mentioned henchmen... scratch

Actually testing the Gatling Psilencer I've found it to be worth its points. Heavy 12 Str 4 shots + the Incinerator will easily decimate any unit of T3. I play a lot against Eldar and DE. In a tournament you'll usually run into T4 but even with that it's still good. Using a teleporter is good but you see the thing is that you can't assault if you use your shunt move. I'd rather annihilate one entire squad and move onto the next. The Gatling Psilencer is a reassurance to that. If you think about it, you spend 30 points for hurricane bolters sponsons on a SR. 35 Points for 12 shots is pretty good too. If you ever run into Daemons in a tournament your Gatling Psilencer will do work even more!

I applaud your play at 750 points, but 750 points is a lot different from 2000. There will be times where you have to prioritize your shooting to different units. Most fliers wont be able to contest unless it's that one scenario with fast attack. They would have to go into hover mode too so you'll be able to shoot them. What's good about the Defense line is that it give your guys 4+ cover. With night fighting you could get up to 2+ cover. The Interceptor rule is also very good for incoming fliers, forcing them to jink. I played a 1750 game with this sort of list minus the assassin, aegis, and 5 men from my strike squad against necrons. He had 3 fliers and I didn't focus at all on them and instead took out all his troops and infantry while contesting (and then scoring) all objectives on his side of the table. DS a regular unit is not as reliable as Mordrak. You could roll scatter which could cause your unit to be completely away from where you want them or worse (getting lost in the warp). Plus you have to roll for reserves and sometimes the odds may just be against you.
volvoe
volvoe
Henchmen
Henchmen

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Feb 02, 2013 5:25 am

volvoe wrote:... lol! So basically a Grand Master + Inquistor list. Razz

volvoe wrote:If you think about it, you spend 30 points for hurricane bolters sponsons on a SR.

I have thought about it, I would never spend 30 points on that - ever!

Great job on beating 3 flyers! It's not hard and you did the right thing.

Take servo skulls, they are tactically awesome! + reliable deep strike + they stop infiltrators.. My unit would decimate your mordrak unit. It's so much better.

Gattling psilencer - we wound daemons on a 4 or more with most weapons anyway, usually a 3+ with str 5 storm bolters or psycannons or auto cannons. The psilencer would be only good against the flying daemon to try land as many hits as possible to make him fall. But, twin linked does the same thing but better. Nuff said.

You asked for my "competitive" advice, I gave it to you. In the end, you'll do what you want. I could have changed the theme of your list, but I kept it in the guide lines of what you wanted.

Last edited by Grandmaster Arratak on Sat Feb 02, 2013 5:30 am; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post by volvoe Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:20 pm

Just because you run an inquisitor doesn't mean you have to run henchmen. A prime example would be the OMI terminator w/ Psycannon. I don't like the idea of trading out psychic powers for the librarian. You could have so many powers to choose from using each turn! Don't get me wrong, Divination is awesome.

So how would you play against my list? Just because your unit would/could decimate mine doesn't mean I'll happen to deep strike next to it. And I'm pretty sure they would be locked in combat for a at least a couple of turns.
volvoe
volvoe
Henchmen
Henchmen

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:36 pm

Warp quake, and deploy defensively with the vehicles to the outside. You deep strike away from me I'm gonna drop 3 twin linked plasma cannons and an ap1 str 8 large blast also twin linked onto your head.

I'll force weapon the NDK

The gattling psilencer averages out to 4.5 wounds. Round down in favour of your opponent. Then take into account armour saves.

Back to top Go down

Post by volvoe Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:48 pm

Well, there are always going to be cover unless you get that psychic power. Also the NDK is armed with an incinerator AND a psilencer. I don't know the numbers but you're going to have to make a lot more saves than just 5. Also with overwatch that gives me another round of shooting with 12 shots and a D3 for the flame template. WS and S to T wise you're going to have a hard time wounding the dreadknight with his 2+. All of our force weapons are ap3 except the hammer that will strike last. If there is any unit left. Plus you could always fail your charge in overwatch + Sanctuary.

I do like the warp quake tactic though. I usually don't consider playing other grey knights. And in a tournament setting at the store I play at I think there's only one other grey knight player.
volvoe
volvoe
Henchmen
Henchmen

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:51 pm

K bro, I gave you my reasons. In the end do what you want.

Back to top Go down

Post by volvoe Sat Feb 02, 2013 3:55 pm

I thank you for your reasons and helping me. It's input like that, that will help me tactically. Oh and there's also deny the witch too. Razz
volvoe
volvoe
Henchmen
Henchmen

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down