Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

1500+ Army Build

2 posters

Go down

1500+ Army Build Empty 1500+ Army Build

Post by ElVampo Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:00 am

Brothers, I have a bit of a puzzle on my hands. As mentioned in my introduction post I was given a lot of stuff for Christmas by my friends and family and now I need to digest the codex and work out what to do with all the stuff I have. And here, I hope, is where you guys can come in and offer me your sage like wisdom. If you haven't read my introductory post then here is a recap of what I received in December:

Coteaz
2 boxes terminators
2 boxes grey knights
1 land raider redeemer
1 dreadknight
1 stormraven
3 psykers
1 jokaero
2 acolytes
2 servitors w/melta
2 servitors w/plasma
1 vindicare assassin

Now I also have an unfinished BA army and I have a couple of smashed up Dreadnoughts I got cheap second hand which I could absorb into this army as well.

Sorry to dump this in the lists section as I do not, as yet, have a list. What I would like to know, is looking at what I have, what sort of direction to go with in terms of build? I play against Orks and IG primarily.

I was originally thinking about making a paladin list with interceptor squads but now I am not so sure...

Also, what do you think about adding vehicles such as Chimeras, razorbacks ets to the mix?

Urgh so confused!

ElVampo
Stormtrooper
Stormtrooper

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2013-01-01

Back to top Go down

1500+ Army Build Empty Re: 1500+ Army Build

Post by Guest Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:45 am

Make some strike squads, with swords! And the psy cannon. Heavy incinerator on the NDK. Take a look at some of the lists around the site and go from there. Unless you plan to magnetise your units check back with what weapon load out are preferable. Termies are ok... But competitive they aren't the best. Specially against ur guard player... Make some psyfle dreads... Which is dreads with double auto cannon. They will rape the light mech from orcs and guard... What ever you take you should do decent against both those armies. Take a look at my tactica for grey knights... It's WIP but yeah should help you.

Back to top Go down

Post by ElVampo Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:39 am

Cheers mate. I am actually probably going to magnetise the termies/paladins. Dreadnoughts I need to look into to see what I can salvage as they are pretty beaten up but I reckon I could make two decent ones from the 3 I bought.

So would you recommend Strike Squads over Interceptors? And what about the Purifier option? I won't be magnetising the GK boxes so I want to get a good idea in my head before I glue them.

I'm thinking at the moment (and I don't own everything I will list here)

Coteaz - 100

Malleus Inquisitor w 3 servo skulls - 34

Troops:
Strike Squad w Psycannon, 3 halberds, warding stave - 150
Strike Squad -(as above) 150

Henchmen - 8 Psykers, 1 Crusader, Rhino - 135

Interceptor Squad - 130
Interceptor Squad - 130
SR Gunship W Hurricane Bolters - 235

Dreadknight w Heavy Psycannon, Heavy Incinerator - 200
Dreadnought Twin Linked Dbl autocannon - 130
Dreadnought Twin Linked Dbl autocannon - 130

Well that is 1524 and ideally I would want to get to 1750 but so far the build feels all wrong. What I want to do is bring together a nice cohesive army. I have just been reading the Castellan Crowe rules and himself alongside Purifiers might be interesting.

Just so you know, the idea of the inquisitor is to offer the servo skulls as close to the enemy deployment zone as possible. That tied in with the Rhino and a squad of psykers means I would have a S10 Ap1 Large blast shot with minimal scatter.

Please feel free to tell me exactly what I have done wrong here and where the pitfalls are. I am learning more and more from the codex all the time so I may be able to tell myself why I am stupid in a week :p

ElVampo
Stormtrooper
Stormtrooper

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:03 am

What you should have done because your getting started... Is just make strike squads at the moment. You always use them. If u wanted purifiers or interceptors that's fine but strikes for now. You can NEVER go wrong... Until you put halberds on them, 1 halberd for the justicar... That's it. To expansive!

You built your dreads correctly!! That's a plus. But remember in list writing at the psybolt ammo upgrade for str8 it's pure gold! It's really a work horse and back bone for EVERY grey knight army... If you over the age of 10... You take dreads whenever possible.

Also, hurricane bolters on the raven is never worth it! And don't give it psybolt either, best load out is either multi melta and las or plas.
Keep it simple and keep it cheap. With the NDK, the most favoured load out is, teleporters and incinerator, it puts some much pressure on the opponent!

Warding stave on the strike is also far to expansive, you need a hammer in there!

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:11 am

I can't be bothered re editing my post every time I see something so... What evs.

The servo skulls are really used to stop enemy infiltrators claiming those mid field objectives first turn. If you can't then neither can the enemy Very Happy

It's 15 points wasted if you use them like you plan. IMHO.

Back to top Go down

Post by ElVampo Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:23 am

Ok ok. I get what you are saying. I will have a rethink. This is gonna take time to understand this codex. So many little bits you can add here and there that dramatically change things. I built my SR with the Hurricane Bolters as it looks better. I figured against IG that it would offer extra Infantry killing points.

The servo skulls are only 9 points as they are with an inquisitor.

I am off to GW today to pick up some paints. I may pick up Crowe as well as I only have one physical HQ in my load of stuff I have.

Oh and if I took the NDK with PT and Incinerator, would it not be best to also back that up with interceptor squads to really make the IG sweat?

ElVampo
Stormtrooper
Stormtrooper

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:42 am

Sorry bout the servo skulls... I was just thinking about my grandmaster and what the cost is for him.

Look, I modelled my raven with the bolters for pure aesthetics but I would never use them in a game.

The NDK doesn't need that much back up and can flame the guard without getting in rapid fire range because of the 12" torrent. (Wait, wait! I'm not saying that NDK doesn't need any back up. And I never said don't take interceptor, at the moment though its my suggestion to build some strike squads.)

Maybe make a TDA malleus inquisitor and a grandmaster out of 2 of the termies... Strike squads offer the same amount of fire power the termies do for half price!

Back to top Go down

Post by first strike Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:04 pm

Add Psybolts to the dreads for 5 pts each
Get an agis line and place 2 plasma servitors, a melta servitor, jakaero, the acolites (wound sinks) and the inquisitor in it (inquisitor get the quad gun)
As for stirke squads and interceptors the back pack can be changed if you paint them and then use super glue. Warding stalf I would not recomend on either of these squads and halberds are just to expensive. If you can, run them in groups of 10 and give them psybolts. Strike squads get psycannons and the interceptors get incinerators.
Terminators in a group of 10 there should be 2 hammers, 1 warding stalf, 2 psy cannons, 2 halberds and the rest get swords (swords give you a 4++ save in hand to hand)
Dreadknights run better in pairs with jump packs and interceptor support.
Have also seen them run with inquisitor (can not remember the name (well I can but the spelling will be of) but he comes with the chair) he can target the dreadkinght with a S10 ap1 blast and not kill it (you may take a W) and kill anything around it without scatter. Makes a mess of ork nob bikers.
first strike
first strike
Grey Knight
Grey Knight

Number of posts : 409
Army : Grey Knights, Eldar, Space Wolves, High Elf
Registration date : 2012-02-08

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by ElVampo Thu Jan 03, 2013 3:03 am

Thanks guys, I really appreciate the feedback and advice.

I will create the two grey knight boxes as recommended by using swords and psycannons. I will magnetise the canons and back packs to switch between strike and interceptors.

What about purifiers? These sound like they could be handy in.cc with cleansing flame as it can be cast in both players assault phases. Do they die before they make it to cc?

I will post an updated list later. Thanks again guys!

ElVampo
Stormtrooper
Stormtrooper

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:07 am

i personally use an assault purifier squad with halberds, but i pick my fights, if you're new they can be used wrong. Dont make the mistake of thinking, "hey I\'ve got two attacks, they can handle themselves" because they are just strike squads with extra attacks. The halberds are the best option for 2 pts each and cleasing flame is used for anti-horde kills. People run them with 4 special weapons then combat squad, but then they arent dedicated close combat.

Karamazov is the inquisitor that F.S is referring to, and my friend plays with him, he is good for laughs Very Happy Razz lol.

Cant go wrong with NDK's

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down