Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

In need of a slight trim

+2
first strike
jb317
6 posters

Go down

In need of a slight trim Empty In need of a slight trim

Post by jb317 Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:07 am

Hi folks,

After taking an 8 year hiatus from 40k, I've recently come back and started collecting GK. Even though I used to collect (Chaos) I consider myself an utter newb, especially after checking out the 6th edition book and seeing all the new rules!

Here's my first pop at a 1000 point list. It's coming in at 1058 however, so it needs to lose a bit of weight. I'm open to any suggestions both to how to get down to 1000 and also on the general structure and makeup of the list. Here goes:

HQ
Crowe (150 points)

Troops
Purifier Squad 1 (149 points)
2 x Halberds
1 x Psycannon
1 x Falchions
1 x master-crafted Daemon Hammer

Purifier Squad 2 (154 points)
2 x Halberds
2 x Psycannons
1 x master-crafted Daemon Hammer

Terminator Squad (225 points)
1 x Psycannon
4 x Halberds
1 x master-crafted Daemon hammer

Elites
Vindicare Assassin (145 points)

Heavy Support
Dreadknight (235 points)
1 x personal teleporter
1 x Nemesis Greatsword
1 x Heavy Incinerator

Cheers,

jb

jb317
Henchmen
Henchmen

Number of posts : 105
Registration date : 2012-12-31

Back to top Go down

In need of a slight trim Empty Re: In need of a slight trim

Post by Guest Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:50 am

Loose the falchions, mastercrafted and replace the vindicare with a psyfle dread. That's about 30pts so far. And then the great sword

Back to top Go down

Post by jb317 Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:07 am

Thanks Arratak - I already know about the falchions being a bit of a waste. I liked the look so I glued them on before doing any research into their competitive efficiency.

From what I've read on the interwebs a vindicare is pretty lethal at low point games, hence why I picked him up. I was planning to include a psyfleman in my 1.5k list.

I could drop the greatsword from the NDK and be done with it. What do you think?

jb317
Henchmen
Henchmen

Back to top Go down

Post by first strike Mon Dec 31, 2012 2:25 pm

Ok, so you are going to go Crow and pay the Crow tax.
Lets look at what you have in Crow, Crow will rule the chalange, but the isue is getting him there, he cannot join a squad and is not eternal warrior so if your opp decides to take him out in a turn, then he is gone, so you will spend half the game in hiding until you take out the other guy's instant kill weapons.
You are starting the game down by 150 points (crow tax).
When going crow you must go crow all the way, not half way. Purifiers are great for their points but Crow is the Tax that adds to the points cost of every last one of them, so you want to spread it around and lessen the effect, so drop the dreadkinghts (good on the game now but expensive), the Assassian (exelent firepower but will go down in a stiff breeze to massed fire) and the terminators (still a solid unit but you are playing Crow). Add more purifiers, rifle dreads, 2 at this value, razorbacks with T.L.H.Bolters and psy bolts, (3 shots T.Linked at S6), and as many psycannons you can get.
So what I would look at is this
Crow
2x Psy Rifle Dreads
Purifier Squad 2 x Halberds, 2 x Psycannons, 1 x Daemon Hammer, Razorback with psybolts
Purifier Squad 2 x Halberds, 2 x Psycannons, 1 x Daemon Hammer, Razorback with psybolts
Purifier Squad 2 x Halberds, 1 x Psycannons, 1 x Daemon Hammer, Razorback with psybolts
Crow is about purifiers and max firepower (this is why you get to give 2 psycannons to every 5 guys)
The new game is all about shooting, and still having the speed to go get the objectives.
You asked about the structure of the list and this (in my opp) is how a Crow list needs to be structured.
first strike
first strike
Grey Knight
Grey Knight

Number of posts : 409
Army : Grey Knights, Eldar, Space Wolves, High Elf
Registration date : 2012-02-08

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by jb317 Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:39 pm

Thank you first strike for your comprehensive response.
At first I considered a list almost identical to the one you recommend.

I understand it's probably the most competitive Crowe list at this point level, but it just doesn't have enough "character" for me. I want a balanced, flavorful army that wont make my local war-gamers roll their eyes when I turn up with psycannon spam.

I appreciate your input and I'm definitely going to consider at least 1 psyfleman dread now.

I'd like a happy medium between the brutal efficiency of your list and the fluffy/balance-ness of mine.

jb317
Henchmen
Henchmen

Back to top Go down

Post by first strike Mon Dec 31, 2012 4:26 pm

I know the feeling, I will normaly run sub par list localy (and still have people (friends even) refues to play me), but if going to harder tournaments then the game needs to be uped.
If swithcing out a dreadknight for a dread then you can add razors or rhinos to the purifers (rhinos would be softer).
I have been playing grey knights for the last 8 years, when I was running the old codex, they were lineing up to play me, with the new one they just call me a cheese player, even when I play down to them, so dont expect players to say nice things about you no matter what you bring, it is still grey kinghts. Crying or Very sad
So Crow
Make the pruifiers one squad and add a rhino (psy bolts if you can afford them) you can combat squad them at deployment and still have them both in the rhino
Keep the terminators
Drop the dreadkinght and add a dreadnought
Assassian
first strike
first strike
Grey Knight
Grey Knight

Number of posts : 409
Army : Grey Knights, Eldar, Space Wolves, High Elf
Registration date : 2012-02-08

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Dec 31, 2012 7:04 pm

There's nothing stopping crowe sit in a transport if its got room. He's just not apart of the unit inside.

Back to top Go down

Post by jb317 Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:30 am

By "if it's got room" you mean it has to be entirely empty right? Since he's not an IC etc.

I was thinking of having a rhino advancing 6'' per movement, purifiers firing their psycannons out of the hatches, whilst Crowe moves as close to behind it as he can to block LoS. Or maybe use both Rhinos in the same manner since one by itself might be too narrow to do it alone?

The strategy would rely on my NDK tp'ing forward, drawing the fire that could potentially pop the rhinos (whilst hopefully doing some damage in the meantime) until they're close enough for Crowe to get into combat.

That's not to mention the vindi hopefully popping something equally as capable as opening up the rhinos before he goes down.

jb317
Henchmen
Henchmen

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jan 01, 2013 5:21 am

No. It doesn't have to be entirely empty, you can have more then 1 squad in a vehicle. Providing there's room. Crowe and a squad can go in the same vehicle.

Usually people run the ndk's in pairs. I don't usually run ndk's at the moment. But 1 shunting up field and no moron is going to let it stand there, they will unload all the special weapons at it. With 2 doing it, they can't possibly kill both.

Back to top Go down

Post by jb317 Tue Jan 01, 2013 5:51 am

Really? I read all over the place that the only separate entities allowed to ride in the same transport are combat squads of the same unit.

jb317
Henchmen
Henchmen

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jan 01, 2013 5:58 am

Sorry, page 78 of the rulebook. I mis read it

EDIT: wait no! Crowe can go in a transport, just not with another unit.

Back to top Go down

Post by jb317 Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:21 am

That was my understanding. He can jack a transport meant for another squad but only when it's unoccupied due to his non-IC status not allowing him to join said squad.

I think that's the route I'm going to go down. The relatively small size of the game boards at my local mean the purifiers probably wont need the rhino to get into decent positions anyway.

jb317
Henchmen
Henchmen

Back to top Go down

Post by danflan1712 Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:40 pm

Just remember the rhino isn't an assault vehicle. So any player worth his salt will get a turn of shooting Crowe to ribbons before he can do anything.

danflan1712
Stormtrooper
Stormtrooper

Number of posts : 24
Registration date : 2012-09-19

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:44 pm

Not if you disembark Crowe then in the shooting phase go flat out with the rhino and screen Crowe

Back to top Go down

Post by jb317 Thu Jan 03, 2013 10:32 am

I will definitely note that tactic Arratak, thank you for mentioning it. Are there any other Crowe/Purifier tactics that you think are particularly pertinent/effective?

jb317
Henchmen
Henchmen

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:39 pm

Um yeah.... When I get free time to sit down... And I don't decide to paint, ill write up tactics for those units. Stay tuned to my grey knight tactica. The link is in my sig.

Back to top Go down

Post by jb317 Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:15 pm

Will do, thanks again. : ]

jb317
Henchmen
Henchmen

Back to top Go down

Post by Tiberian Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:48 pm

I'm just not to sure about this "Crowe" guy this whole tactic seems like you've got to hold his hand and babysit him just to even have a chance to make it across the table. Seems like a pretty weak Brotherhood Champion IMHO. I don't like to give away a "slay the warlord" without a fight.
Tiberian
Tiberian
Henchmen
Henchmen

Number of posts : 112
Army : Grey Knights, Tau, Orks
Registration date : 2012-01-16

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:12 pm

When he gets into close combat watch him destroy units

Back to top Go down

Post by Tiberian Fri Jan 25, 2013 5:40 pm

I'm not seeing where he isn't an ind. character and can't join units, where do you guys see that? Also, if he's assaulted does he usually make it out alive when his sword grants the enemy furious charge and re-roll failed to hit rolls?
Tiberian
Tiberian
Henchmen
Henchmen

Number of posts : 112
Army : Grey Knights, Tau, Orks
Registration date : 2012-01-16

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Rivan Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:36 pm

He doesn't have the Independent Character special rule, thus preventing him from joining other units.
Rivan
Rivan
Adeptus Moderatus
Adeptus Moderatus

Number of posts : 4404
Army : Grey Knights 7th Brotherhood, Salamanders
Registration date : 2009-03-05

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:36 pm

I never said he can join units did you rivan?

Simple... Don't let him get charged, of you do, you're a baddie. Smile

Back to top Go down

Post by PurityinFlames Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:43 pm

I ran Crowe twice and never again! I dropped him for Coteaz and henchmen warbands; far far more entertaining, Coteaz is 50 points cheaper and an Independent Character

I'm currently playing with single type henchmen warbands, but - when I first looked at the codex - I decided I wanted to run Inquis and I absolutely love it.

It is, however, a force that's inherently more chaotic than any Chaos force you'll ever encounter, but it's tons of fun and people will generally play you if you tell them that you're not spamming power armour or terminators...

PurityinFlames
Henchmen
Henchmen

Number of posts : 167
Registration date : 2012-11-29

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Jan 26, 2013 4:07 pm

PurityinFlames wrote:
I ran Crowe twice and never again!

Yeah.... I told you so? Neutral

Back to top Go down