Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Land Raiders worth it? and which one?

4 posters

:: Tactica

Go down

Land Raiders worth it? and which one? Empty Land Raiders worth it? and which one?

Post by TheLordMephiston Sat Dec 29, 2012 10:13 pm

Greetings all

I have been wondering if the land raiders were worth using and by extension which one since spamming psycannons seem to be the best idea for mid range fire power is the basic raider with lascannons for longer range. I'm wondering if Land raider is even useful when i see so much stormraven spamming with Draigowing.

TheLordMephiston
Stormtrooper
Stormtrooper

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2011-09-26

Back to top Go down

Land Raiders worth it? and which one? Empty Re: Land Raiders worth it? and which one?

Post by Guest Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:36 pm

Yeah.. Noobs spam draigo wing. Nuff said. -_-' pallies are too expansive with pie plates and instant death for a competitive list.

However, my personnel opinion on land raiders and av14 for that matter is worth taking. With the shift to plasma and away from melta's (don't jump the gun! I'm not saying people don't take melta's just less) is that they have become more durable. I for one run a LRC in a competitive list and it works well. And with the 6edition change to defensive weapons we can now fire all weapons even moving 12" so the offensive power has increased even with snap shot. Twin linked!

Now as for the 3 variants. It really depends on what you are running in your list. And what you are using your land raider for.

EDIT: however... For roughly the same price as a land raider god hammer you can get 8 str 8 TL shots from 2 psy dreads, compared to two 2str 9 shots from the landraider.

I know what I would choose.

Back to top Go down

Land Raiders worth it? and which one? Empty Re: Land Raiders worth it? and which one?

Post by Sai Sun Dec 30, 2012 2:26 am

I think it depends how competitive you want to be. If you're very competitive then you should probably just load up on dreadnoughts with twin linked auto cannon and purifiers with a sprinkling of interceptors as these units give you the best value for your points. Lots of people say it over and over again all over the forum and it looks that way from the codex.

If you are somewhere in the middle between a tournament player and a fluff player (you like to win but spam makes you upchuck in your mouth a little) I'd say land raiders are still fairly useful.
The thing to remember is that the land raider is not of particular value itself, it's part of the army. It's use completely depends on what else you have.
If your force is mostly infantry, you can use it like an infantry tank from the early/mid twentieth century. It rolls forward 6" a turn firing lascannons while the infantry shred their opposite number with psybolts. If there is a particular threat like ordnance cannons or mass rapid fire the land raider can be used to block LoS. Blocking LoS is the most useful and sure way of keeping your expensive silver soldiers alive: Cover and psychic powers give a chance of protection, blocking LoS gives complete protection with a few notable exceptions such as artillery. People used to do the same thing with rhinos, the land raider just adds some toughness to your line.
In a mechanised force the variants might be more useful with their close range guns. The same idea applies: use the raider to cover the rhinos from mid strength weapons until you get to charging dakka dakka range. I don't think this works so well with Grey Knights though. Normal Space Marines can do the same cheaper and with more support.

The land raider can deliver a strong assault squad onto the enemy lines, but you don't have to. You might feel you're wasting points if you have a raider not tearing up the enemy line from turn 2 but the urge to go full steam ahead is predictable. Take your time and pick your targets.
You could have a cheap squad inside for stopping melta attacks. The infantry can hop out, and move 6" from the fromt or sides of the raider. Your opponent can't move through your squad which denies him the extra D6 penetration. The squad may well die, but he won't have a chance to shoot them until after they have denied the move. Strike squads can also use the warp quake to stop deep-striking meltaguns.

I'd probably take the standard raider over the others but I'm bias against them because I don't think of them as being proper land raiders. The standard raider will be firing at multiple targets from turn one, the others won't be doing much until they get much closer and their guns aren't brilliant. I don't need hurricane bolters, my troops standard rifles are better. Likewise I rarely see the flamers of the redeemer get in range, though it would probably be useful if the enemy were coming to you. The redeemer is probably a better choice than the crusader. On the plus side, should the flamestorm cannons get to range they're good for killing heavy infantry and the extra transport space means you can get an independent character in there.
Sai
Sai
Justicar
Justicar

Number of posts : 754
Registration date : 2010-12-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Dec 30, 2012 3:39 am

I would have to agree with you first two paragraphs but I would have to disagree with you last point sai about the two variants of the god hammer. With the shift to scoring units and light mech things are easier to pop. I take a multi melta and psy ammo. The first few turns are about target priority. Kill the things that can you. So I like to focus fire units/mech down rather then take pot shots like noobs and never kill anything.

But yes, I play in a competitive scene and the landraider is so much more then what it is. LoS blocking, difficult terrain when wrecked and a definate pressence on the board. Plus a bunker for my purifiers.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sai Sun Dec 30, 2012 9:26 am

Did I not mention the bias? Very Happy

If you get a raider of any type I suggest putting the sponsons on the front rather than the back. It's sometimes difficult to get both sponsons on the same target otherwise.

Also, look out for medusa, land speeders and attack bikes. They're pretty much designed to kill landraiders.
Sai
Sai
Justicar
Justicar

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Dec 30, 2012 5:18 pm

awww stuffing now you tell me! wrecked m whole raider now sai!

Comes down to target priority. And how you maneuver.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sai Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:20 am

awww stuffing now you tell me! wrecked m whole raider now sai!
Learn from Arratak's mistakes LordMephiston.
Sai
Sai
Justicar
Justicar

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Dec 31, 2012 5:40 am

I follow the instructions Razz

Back to top Go down

Post by Aubec le noir Tue Jan 01, 2013 5:11 am

LRs (any types) are still the best assault transport of our army imho ... so yes i still use LRs
Aubec pirat
Aubec le noir
Aubec le noir
Adeptus Moderatus
Adeptus Moderatus

Number of posts : 3745
Army : 40K : GK (curious isn't it ;-) ) WHB : Dwarfs, Ogres, Mercs
Registration date : 2009-11-01

Grey knight
stats:

http://lacompagniephoenix.bb-fr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Jan 01, 2013 5:23 am

Well the only other one is the storm raven and to use the assault ramp you have to go hover mode (you become a skimmer) and that's dangerous for your raven unless you position it behind something.

Back to top Go down

Post by Jonathan Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:58 pm

Redeemer does the trick for me, with it i can just charge my purifiers right where the enemy armies bulk is located and just purge it all with them lovely flamestorm cannons. the firs consume orks, nids and marines with equal ease(also those annoying cultists that chaos fields these days). Bust out the purifiers, equiped with 2 or 3 incinerators of their own and burninate the enemy some more before innitialy charging what ever is left and sweep the remnants off the table with cleansing flame and halberds. i've noticed that his kind of assault either destroys the numbers of the enemy so severely that they can't recover from it or they waste all of the firepower the army has in order to stop it while the rest of my army do their job undisturbed.
Jonathan
Jonathan
Henchmen
Henchmen

Number of posts : 76
Registration date : 2011-05-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:17 pm

Str 7 ap3 template is nice. Very Happy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down