Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

1000 pts vs space poodles and Blood Angels

+4
flaxis
bigbri
Maaku
TheLordMephiston
8 posters

Go down

1000 pts vs space poodles and Blood Angels Empty 1000 pts vs space poodles and Blood Angels

Post by TheLordMephiston Tue Aug 28, 2012 8:49 pm

I'm relatively new to 40k and my friends and I keep at the moment are keeping to 1000 points as we figure it is a good size to learn and get a feel for the game and armies as 500 is kind of dismal especially since we all play space marines. Unfortunately my friends run a lot of thunder hammer storm shield annoyance and with 6th ed. I find that CC with them A LOT less appealing. I have not tried using a warding stave to counter 2+/3+ but that did not seem like a great thing to depend on. My first thought was to make a more shot heavy list and just riddle them with bullets and hope for ones. Is this how to deal with TH/SS termies or do we of the emperor's finest have a better solution? Right now I am running this list, please forgive me if anything is not right i'm still learning army composition. I do also have Draigo and Crowe who i love the models for but I know are not popular if not using paladins/purifiers.

Grand Master-255
-psychotroke
-Blind
-Rad
-psycannon

Terminators-205
-4 halberds
-1 hammer
-incinerator

Strike Squad-230
-hammer
-psycannon x2

Dreadknight-170
-greatsword
-incinerator(heavy)

Dreadnought-135
-twin-linked autocannon x2
-Psybolt ammo

Any help would be greatly appreciated, I am often up against Logan Grimnar and Njal so what i believe is known as Loganwing(sry if thats incorrect)

TheLordMephiston
Stormtrooper
Stormtrooper

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2011-09-26

Back to top Go down

1000 pts vs space poodles and Blood Angels Empty Re: 1000 pts vs space poodles and Blood Angels

Post by Maaku Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:51 am

Hi there Brother!

I'm quite new to this as well, along with battling with 6th ed rules as well. One of the main bonuses I've found so far is Rending a target. As far as I'm aware (please correct me if I'm wrong) with a rend, it would cause an instant wound, forcing them to take an invulnerable save? If thats the case, then Psycannons and Assault cannons are definitely the way forward. Combine the Assault cannon with Psybolt ammo to gain more chances on the rolls and things should look up for your terminator issue.

I personally have been using a horde control style Dreadknight having both Heavy Incinerator and Heavy Psycannon, I absolutely love it. A large blast rending template, for me, a great investment for an army, not to mention if you can get a good hit, there are plenty of chances to get a rending result.

Hope this helps Smile

Maaku
Stormtrooper
Stormtrooper

Number of posts : 11
Army : Grey Knights
Registration date : 2012-03-11

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

1000 pts vs space poodles and Blood Angels Empty Re: 1000 pts vs space poodles and Blood Angels

Post by bigbri Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:42 am

Since power weapons became Ap3 you want to avoid CC as much as possible with termies. All we have to hurt them is hammers, and they have those and 3++ shields which we don't. What you need to do is whittle them down with shooting. there are two options for this, massed regular shots, and Ap2 shots. We can do both of these to some degree. here's what I'd suggest assuming you have the models.
Lose the GM and replace him with 1 or 2 Inquisitors. They have a couple of advantages. They are cheaper(cheap is good) they can always take Prescience to give you rerolls to hit. They can take some decent shooting weapons(psycannons or combi-plasma provide AP2) and most importantly here: they give you access to henchmen.
Henchmen are important here because they offer something great: lots of guaranteed Ap2 at ridiculously low points cost. 3 acolytes with plasma guns is a mere 42 points, and they can double as light transport killers if there are no juicy terminators around. The slightly riskier option is 3x plasma cannon servitors. More expensive at 60pts, and unless you babysit them with an Inq they risk doing nothing half the time. Still 3 x str 7 Ap2 blasts could change the battle in one good round.
I'd also consider dropping the dread in favour of more strike squad guys. Either add 5men to the current unit(and give them psybolts) or take another 5 man squad with a psycannon(hammers are somewhat superfluous here as they won't save you from being munched by a decent CC unit)

bigbri
Justicar
Justicar

Number of posts : 712
Army : Grey Knights/Space Wolves/Imperial Guard
Registration date : 2010-08-04

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by flaxis Wed Aug 29, 2012 5:53 am

Brother TheLordMephiston,

Welcome to the boards,

If there are an issue for you, then get the dreadknight and use him to tarpit those terminators for a round or 2. It will slow them down - he should also kill some of them as he is hitting at AP2 and hitting first (don't forget your hammer of wrath attack also) - so they have to use 3++ saves. Give him a Heavy Incinerator also for damage going in. He is useful also for when you are not playing the against the terminators also. As he is T6 the terminators cannot instant kill him with their hammers also.

If you want to have some flexibility then you can give him a PT also for jump mode, but if you are going to throw him away that might not be the best idea, but he would allow him to effectivitly redeploy as needed. maybe loose the sword for that (plus some other adjustments).

You could combine that with bigbris ][ suggestions also.

Brother Flaxis

flaxis
Henchmen
Henchmen

Number of posts : 142
Registration date : 2011-11-24

Back to top Go down

Post by duncndisorderly Wed Aug 29, 2012 10:22 am

I'm also scratching my head on how to kill termies so thanks for the info brothers
duncndisorderly
duncndisorderly
Henchmen
Henchmen

Number of posts : 213
Army : GK, Blood Angels, CSM
Registration date : 2011-04-28

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Overlord Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:41 pm

1000 points are so hard for Grey Knights because everything costs so much so when you come across a specialized units like TH/SS termies they are really hard to deal with.

For my 1000 point list I bring Coteaz (You almost have to be able to access cheap troops to fill your FOC). I have Coteaz with a warband of 1 crusader, 3 melta acolytes, and 5 DCA's (power axes) = 232pts. This combination should be able to handle those termies or at least take most of them out pretty cheaply. I use them in either a LR or SR simply to ensure I get them there safely and that I get the charge.
At 1K you should not see a ton of AntiAir (especially if they have 5 TH/SS termies in their army) so your SR should last a few turns. Also if you bring the SR you can pack in 2 more crusaders to help soak up wounds or a GM with nades. If you charge they will get 10 AP2 attacks at init 1 and you will get (not counting the GM) 8 init 3 attacks (probably wont do anything) and 24 ap2 attacks at init 1. You also get to shoot 3 meltas (prescience for rerolling misses) at them hopefully taking one out on the way in.

Is it full proof? NO. But it will really hurt them and you have a pretty high probability of wiping them out and still having bodies left for scoring.

At 1000 points the SR would be my delivery vehicle of choice and the GM will ensure you get more attacks and score more wounds by reducing their toughness while increasing your strength.

The list would look like:
GM – Rad, Blind
Coteaz
Warband - 1 crusader, 3 melta acolytes, and 5 DCA's
StormRaven

GKT – 1psycannon, 2 Hammers, 2 Halberds – Justicar w/MC halberd

Psyfleman dread

Total = 997 points.

You can also replace your termies with 10 GKSS +2 psycannons or even more henchmen to save additional points.

Just an option
Overlord
Overlord
Henchmen
Henchmen

Number of posts : 120
Army : Grey Knights/Chaos SM/Orks/Tyranids
Registration date : 2011-09-14

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by TheLordMephiston Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:51 pm

Firstly thank you all for the suggestions, I wasn't a huge fan of the inquisition guys simply because I love Pure Grey Knights but looking at all the nasty they offer its hard to argue. I was wondering if the Vindicare assassin would be good except I wasn't sure how the shield-breaker ammo worked as that might be nice for popping Logan Grimnar, does it not have a strength value simply because it takes out their invulnerable save or does it wound as well?

TheLordMephiston
Stormtrooper
Stormtrooper

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2011-09-26

Back to top Go down

Post by bigbri Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:08 pm

TheLordMephiston wrote:Firstly thank you all for the suggestions, I wasn't a huge fan of the inquisition guys simply because I love Pure Grey Knights but looking at all the nasty they offer its hard to argue. I was wondering if the Vindicare assassin would be good except I wasn't sure how the shield-breaker ammo worked as that might be nice for popping Logan Grimnar, does it not have a strength value simply because it takes out their invulnerable save or does it wound as well?
It wounds as well. The sequence is roll to hit as normal > roll to wound as normal (4+)> allocate wound > model immediately loses invun save, if it still has another save it can take(cover, invun from not from wargear etc) it takes it, if not it suffers a wound.

bigbri
Justicar
Justicar

Number of posts : 712
Army : Grey Knights/Space Wolves/Imperial Guard
Registration date : 2010-08-04

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Klauzer Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:43 am

Don't forget you can challenge with your dread knight! get him into combat with an enemy HQ and challenge him. If he refuses then he's out of combat for that round, and you can smash attack your way into the squad. If he does accept, then the squad does nothing until the challenge is over. This has effectively taken an entire unit out of the game for anywhere from 1-3 turns, and you can now focus your attention to lesser units and take them out. Many armies focus on one deathstar unit, so if you can tie it up and make it irrelevant, then the game can begin to go in your favor.
Klauzer
Klauzer
Henchmen
Henchmen

Number of posts : 94
Army : Really Fluffy
Registration date : 2011-09-11

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Aubec le noir Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:50 am

i really love that tactics ... i used it a lot in WHFB where challenges exist since many years !! Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
Aubec pirat
Aubec le noir
Aubec le noir
Adeptus Moderatus
Adeptus Moderatus

Number of posts : 3745
Army : 40K : GK (curious isn't it ;-) ) WHB : Dwarfs, Ogres, Mercs
Registration date : 2009-11-01

Grey knight
stats:

http://lacompagniephoenix.bb-fr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Overlord Thu Aug 30, 2012 1:19 pm

Excelent Suggestion Brother Klauzer
Overlord
Overlord
Henchmen
Henchmen

Number of posts : 120
Army : Grey Knights/Chaos SM/Orks/Tyranids
Registration date : 2011-09-14

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down