Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Deep Striking

+2
DOMIN4TRIX
Eldar88
6 posters

Go down

Deep Striking Empty Deep Striking

Post by Eldar88 Mon Aug 27, 2012 3:16 pm

If Your Force can all deep strike, e.g. all termies is it allowed to even if some of it will be deep striking turn 1, e.g. Mordrak + Ghost Knights and for those that know Dark Angels Deathwing.
As for me doing a pure terminator force: Grey Knights & Deathwing, half the fun is to deep strike the whole lot and keep the enemy on the back foot etc.
Is that a viable tactic despite the risk of mishap etc

Eldar88
Stormtrooper
Stormtrooper

Number of posts : 18
Army : Grey Knights, Dark Angels, Chaos Daemons, Chaos Marines, Eldar, Tau, Nids, Blood Angels, Guard,
Registration date : 2012-08-26

Back to top Go down

Deep Striking Empty Re: Deep Striking

Post by DOMIN4TRIX Mon Aug 27, 2012 7:27 pm

First off i'm not sure you can have a 100% deepstrike army anymore, Dont the rules state you can only have 50% max in reserve?

Imho deepstrike is a flawed tactic. It adds an element of random to screw with your plans and means your army arrives in bitesize chunks rather than as a big lump for your opponent to choke on
DOMIN4TRIX
DOMIN4TRIX
Justicar
Justicar

Number of posts : 642
Army : Knights, Nids and Necs
Registration date : 2011-08-09

Grey knight
stats:

http://corpointdeux.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Akoni Mon Aug 27, 2012 8:17 pm

You can only place up to half your army, rounding up, in reserves.
Akoni
Akoni
Justicar
Justicar

Number of posts : 688
Army : Grey Knights
Registration date : 2011-05-17

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by itsuperslug Tue Aug 28, 2012 3:49 am

only half you units (round up) can be placed in reserve, squads with dedicated transports count as 1 unit.

units that have to start in reserve (fliers + drop pods) do not count towards this limit

technically if the whole army was in drop pods or had a flyer DT then it would all start off table.

Remember though that if you have no models on the table at the end of any game (not player) turn you lose!
itsuperslug
itsuperslug
Henchmen
Henchmen

Number of posts : 180
Army : ultramarines, grey knights
Registration date : 2010-05-26

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by DonFer Tue Aug 28, 2012 11:56 am

Deepstrike is always random, so in this regard you can't rely on your own troops to appear when needed.
A full deepstriking force is really difficult to achieve and its more difficult to mount a sound offensive with. Of course, this tactic has it's advantages for some units. I wouldn't say deepstrike is bad, but take into account that is not an easy tactic to use.
DonFer
DonFer
Terminator
Terminator

Number of posts : 1398
Registration date : 2010-10-21

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by jeffersonian000 Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:20 am

Personally, I'm in the camp that the TDA special rule stated that they may always start in reserve and deep strike regardless of mission restriction overrides the 50% reserve limit, but that's for a different thread!

I'm a Ghostwing player with an all TDA army (Mordrak+Ghosts+Libby w/ Homer supported by two 10man GKT squads). In 5th, I use to reserve the entire army and "First to the fray" Mordrak+Ghosts+Libby on turn 1, followed by both GKT squads on turn 2. In 6th, I'm still reserving Mordrak+Ghosts+Libby, but the side step the argument over the 50% reserve limit, I've been combat squading one GKT unit to give me 5 separate "units" allowing me to reserve Mordrak+Ghosts+Libby as well as one 10man GKT squad since half of 5 rounds up to 3 in 6th. Not the best sollution, but no one can argue its legality.

SJ
jeffersonian000
jeffersonian000
Henchmen
Henchmen

Number of posts : 107
Army : Knights of the Word
Registration date : 2009-06-08

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down