Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Grey Knight Novels =][=

+28
Rion
Brother Chorster
purifier_26
Valten
Corennus
GMKDynamis
me=inquisitor
Chaplain Nero
Aubec le noir
panzer
Dark Bjoern
The Acolyte
Brother Ranuk
Zealadin
DarkRonin
Aeddon
Darth Vegeta
Rivan
Nausaden
Justicar Alaric
Brother-Captain Validi
NemesisForce
Justicar Dionitas
Spartan
SIRSEAN
The Legionnaire
Klomster
Constantine
32 posters

Page 2 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

Grey Knight Novels =][= - Page 2 Empty Re: Grey Knight Novels =][=

Post by Spartan Mon Jun 23, 2008 3:02 am

Right well I have read everything you all have said and feel I will give my pennies worth.

Firstly Alaric is not a term. he is a PAGK Justicar.

Secondly yes the books strongly hint towards Alaric becoming an inquisitor or will have some sort of greater role maybe he gets attached to an inquisitor and journeys with them.

But my issue with this line is then it would not be the grey knight novels it would be Alaric novels as it will have left the chapter.

But my thoughts say that this is possible as when I look at all the chapter specific novels I have read and I have covered most of them few go beyond a triology, so maybe this is where we leave the Grey Knights and Justicar Alaric and meet the Inquisition and Inquisitor Alaric.
Spartan
Spartan
Grey Knight
Grey Knight

Number of posts : 319
Location : Hunting down and destroying daemonic taint wherever it may be found.
Army : Pure Grey Knights and thats Grey Knights Only
Registration date : 2008-03-04

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Constantine Mon Jun 23, 2008 8:14 am

But my thoughts say that this is possible as when I look at all the chapter specific novels I have read and I have covered most of them few go beyond a triology, so maybe this is where we leave the Grey Knights and Justicar Alaric and meet the Inquisition and Inquisitor Alaric.

These are good points Brother, and I am inclined to agree.
I have also noticed that other novels about Marines frequently involve a dishonoured (Urial of the Ultramarines,and Ragnar of the Wolves) Marine and follow their path back to Honour.

I agree that the novel series is probhably over for a while now though. Sad

The purpose of this thread was to instigate some thought and conversation about a fantastic trilogy of novels Very Happy
Constantine
Constantine
Adeptus Moderatus
Adeptus Moderatus

Number of posts : 5819
Army : Grand Master Mordrak's Brotherhood, Deathwing...Pretty much any first company! I LOVE terminators!!!
Registration date : 2008-05-26

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Spartan Tue Jul 15, 2008 9:37 am

The purpose of this thread was to instigate some thought and conversation about a fantastic trilogy of novels

Ah and what a great trilogy it was.
Spartan
Spartan
Grey Knight
Grey Knight

Number of posts : 319
Location : Hunting down and destroying daemonic taint wherever it may be found.
Army : Pure Grey Knights and thats Grey Knights Only
Registration date : 2008-03-04

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by NemesisForce Tue Jul 15, 2008 1:07 pm

Three-quarters of the way into the first one and thoroughly enjoying it. Ya know, I inwardly cringe everytime a Grey Knight bites it in the book just like I do everytime one of my GK's bites it on the tabletop.
NemesisForce
NemesisForce
Inquisitor
Inquisitor

Number of posts : 1945
Army : Grey Knight, Black Templar, Chaos Space Marine, Tau Empire
Registration date : 2008-02-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Constantine Wed Nov 19, 2008 3:54 pm

How's the novel comming along Nemesis Force? are you at the part where..... LOL just kidding, I wouldn't want to spoil your fun Very Happy
Constantine
Constantine
Adeptus Moderatus
Adeptus Moderatus

Army : Grand Master Mordrak's Brotherhood, Deathwing...Pretty much any first company! I LOVE terminators!!!

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by NemesisForce Wed Nov 19, 2008 8:02 pm

Actually finished the first two awhile back. I'm painfully holding off on Hammer because I know there's no more GK stuff to read after that.
NemesisForce
NemesisForce
Inquisitor
Inquisitor

Back to top Go down

Post by Constantine Wed Nov 19, 2008 10:50 pm

NemesisForce wrote:Actually finished the first two awhile back. I'm painfully holding off on Hammer because I know there's no more GK stuff to read after that.

I know!!! the last one Crying or Very sad
But just so you know, it's amazing!!! I loved it!!!
So no more putting it off!!! Razz
Constantine
Constantine
Adeptus Moderatus
Adeptus Moderatus

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Nausaden Mon Aug 03, 2009 5:40 pm

Agreed; best trilogy that I've read in the Black Library. Hammer of Daemons was the ultimate test of faith; I loved the battles between Alaric in that one, and not just the physical.
Nausaden
Nausaden
Terminator
Terminator

Number of posts : 1085
Army : Pure Grey Knights *Daemon Hunters*
Registration date : 2009-08-03

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by NemesisForce Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:55 pm

Haven't read Hammer yet. Still holding on for that 'right' time. I've stuck a copy of Dark Adeptus to my left arm though. Works just like the Patch and has been getting me through so far.
NemesisForce
NemesisForce
Inquisitor
Inquisitor

Back to top Go down

Post by Rivan Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:06 pm

Brother NF, when you get the chance, read The Killing Ground by Graham Mcneill. It is actually the 4th book in his Ultramarine series, but the Grey Knights freatured prominently in that one and he did an awesome job with them! I really hope he gets commissioned to do a GK novel or 3 Very Happy
Rivan
Rivan
Adeptus Moderatus
Adeptus Moderatus

Number of posts : 4404
Army : Grey Knights 7th Brotherhood, Salamanders
Registration date : 2009-03-05

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Nausaden Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:28 pm

The Grey Knights appear in the Ultramarine series?? That is great news Brother Rivan! I was just pondering what to read next. Anyone know of other novels from the Black Library that feature the Knights?
Nausaden
Nausaden
Terminator
Terminator

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Constantine Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:34 am

There is a short story novel that does, but I can't remember which one it is scratch They have a VERY insignificant part Crying or Very sad and actually drop in to purge the heretics using jump packs! Suspect
++Runs off to the Librarium to try and find the novel+++

I am going on vacation in 19 days, and I have bought:

The Killing Ground
Red Fury
and Heroes of the Space Marines

to read while I am away! cheers
I am very excited to read The Killing Ground and share in the adventures of the Grey Knights once again Very Happy Cool
Constantine
Constantine
Adeptus Moderatus
Adeptus Moderatus

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Rivan Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:12 am

You will not be disappointed Brother Constantine. You will also love most of the short stories in Heroes of the Space Marines. Enjoy your vacation!!! cheers
Rivan
Rivan
Adeptus Moderatus
Adeptus Moderatus

Number of posts : 4404
Army : Grey Knights 7th Brotherhood, Salamanders
Registration date : 2009-03-05

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Nausaden Tue Aug 04, 2009 12:15 pm

Thank you Brother Constantine! Your sure to enjoy some great literature on your vacation, enjoy yourself! Very Happy
Nausaden
Nausaden
Terminator
Terminator

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Darth Vegeta Mon Oct 12, 2009 7:45 am

Ordered the Omnibus recently. Besides the look of the Termies, the cover of the Omnibus is what inspired me to slowly start collecting GK's. The art on the cover is awesome. ^__^
Darth Vegeta
Darth Vegeta
Grey Knight
Grey Knight

Number of posts : 255
Army : Chaos Space Marines: The Black Legion, Grey Knights
Registration date : 2008-12-22

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Nausaden Mon Oct 12, 2009 3:54 pm

Oh yes Brother Vegeta; the artwork is pretty nice. But Ben Counters writing triumphs that by miles; you'll be sure to get a good kick from the opening prologue. One of the best scenes of the entire trilogy.
Nausaden
Nausaden
Terminator
Terminator

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Aeddon Mon Oct 12, 2009 9:13 pm

Love the novels! They got me through a tough part of my last deployment so they hold a special place in my heart.

BTW Brother SIRSEAN, you can get the Grey Knight Omnibus which contains all three.
Aeddon
Aeddon
Henchmen
Henchmen

Number of posts : 215
Registration date : 2008-07-09

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by DarkRonin Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:43 am

I've read all three of the novels myself recently and I wasn't disappointed by a single one of them. Though before I read Hammer of Daemons, I picked up the Omnibus and read the Authors Note.

Apparently the stories progress with Alaric getting as little help as possible throughout each book. He has a Group Grey Knights to begin with, then his Squad in the next, and then mostly himself aside from a few chapters early on in the last.

After reading it myself, I didn't get the feeling that he would become an Inquisitor or part of a retinue for one. I simply had the feeling that he will fight on as a Grey Knight for it has so solely define who he is. The very concept of him becoming anything else is a bit out there, but I can understand where one can assume that during the last two pages of the book.

Either way, really great writing from Ben Counter, and props for his Naval engagements in both Grey Knights and Dark Adeptus. Found those parts really thrilling.
DarkRonin
DarkRonin
Justicar
Justicar

Number of posts : 554
Army : Grey Knights, Iron Knights, Salamanders, Thousand Sons, Mono-Tzeentch Daemons
Registration date : 2009-10-25

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Nausaden Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:47 am

Well said Dark Ronnin, I find I think similarly. Being a Grey Knight is who he is, and throughout his trials he has still hung on to his core. Perhaps he will get promoted, but for now at least, he'll be cleansed and ready to report to the field against the warp spawns of Chaos.

One can only hope Ben Counter will do more involving Grey Knights; I'd love to read more of them.
Nausaden
Nausaden
Terminator
Terminator

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Zealadin Wed Oct 28, 2009 8:10 am

I found the first GK novel passable, if extremely light on the lore.
Ben Counters is a good action writer, but he either lacked the knowledge or didn't care enough to really portray GK's more accurately in his book, they are just slightly different SM's, and I don't think he even took a quick glance at the codex to pick up the most basic things.
My biggest problem was the constant suggestions of GK's feeling like they where almost corrupted........ its like the most basic GK lore and he failed at portraying it (imo).

I didn't go any further because I prefer books which really build up a universe rather than just books about battles. A mixture is certainly good but I ofen feel alot of the Warhammer novels prefer to just be pure action novels to draw people into the immature playstyle that so many young kids who collect play and the GWS staff encourage where every model death has to be described in gory details and rubbed in as much as possible.

All this said I enjoyed the book, just wouldn't really follow any further unless I thought the fluff and lore was alot more strict.
Zealadin
Zealadin
Grand Master
Grand Master

Number of posts : 3279
Army : Retired Eldar, Puritan Grey Knights, Dark Eldar
Registration date : 2008-09-14

Grey knight
stats:

http://kael-din.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Nausaden Wed Oct 28, 2009 5:04 pm

Aye, you do bring up a good point Brother Zealadin. I did like the bit with the Grey Knight Chaplain, simply because he was interesting. I could tell that Ben wanted to push things into the assault quickly, because he only spent so much time with the Grey Knights outside of battle.

Still, you have to admit that the halls beneath the Grey Knight base and the prayers yelled by the Grey Knights were entertaining. I really enjoyed Alarics struggle; he was portrayed as a different sort of Grey Knight, namely because portraying the truest is very hard writing.

With so little on the Grey Knights, I suppose we have to get what we can.
Nausaden
Nausaden
Terminator
Terminator

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Brother Ranuk Tue Nov 24, 2009 5:52 am

I enjoyed the reads, especially Hammer - quite possibly my favourite BL novel to date (maybe heldenhammer pips it but that's OT). My only problem are a few of the mistakes that crept into some of the books. In the first novel, the most ancient of the grey knights (described as being wizened and mostly replacement parts) is only 400 years old, Dante (of the blood angels) is over twice that age and he still gets his hands dirty in a fight. In the Heresy series, astartes are described as being functionally immortal, something you could well believe given the near perfect cell replication needed to enhance their healing systems.

Still great reads though, hopefully more to come Smile
Brother Ranuk
Brother Ranuk
Stormtrooper
Stormtrooper

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2009-11-23

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Nausaden Tue Nov 24, 2009 3:44 pm

Indeed Brother Ranuk, there is even a point within the first chapter of Hammer of Daemons were Ben Counter *Within the same paragraph!* replaces Haluvarn and Thains weapons!

Haluvarn always used a blade, which he was proficient with. Suddenly, he's wielding a halbred. Thain is using a halbred, and the next mention of him fighting he wields a sword. These inconsistencies were annoying but all and all it was still a very enjoyable book.

Also, sometimes the book sinks in to almost seem like Grey Knights are just another Space Chapter, which our Brothers and myself here do not appreciate Razz
Nausaden
Nausaden
Terminator
Terminator

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by The Acolyte Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:00 am

I just finished reading the series and loved it. I ecpessially like hammer of daemons. The inconsistences were a bit annoying but still a great read.
I actually liked the idea of a grey knight chaplain, thought it sounded pretty awsome.
The Acolyte
The Acolyte
Henchmen
Henchmen

Number of posts : 100
Army : Grey Knights of course
Registration date : 2009-11-01

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Constantine Thu Jan 28, 2010 8:10 am

The Acolyte wrote:I just finished reading the series and loved it. I ecpessially like hammer of daemons. The inconsistences were a bit annoying but still a great read.
I actually liked the idea of a grey knight chaplain, thought it sounded pretty awsome.

Glad you enjoyed the series! The only works that I enjoyed more than the GK novels were the Space wolf novels. I just loved the character development!

I am an advocate of the GK Chaplain, I know that we (GKs) are set appart from other marines, of that I have no doubt. But why is it believed that we do not "need" Chaplains?

IMHO even the mightiest of Grey Knight Grand Masters will face challanges that streach their faith to the breaking point, it's actually in their job description Razz
So why wouldn't their be a member of the Ordo such as a Chaplain to support them and reaffirm their faith/ensure that they are pure?

If at every stage of GK's service they are intensly tested, why is it assumed that once they are Knights that they no longer need to be tested, and that they can monitor themselves from that point on? That doesn't make sense to me.
Look at Alaric after Hammer of Daemons for example, The guy has a Khorne brand on his arm, has been participating in gladiator games held in the warp for the honour of Chaos for an unknown period of time, and doesn't remember portions of it because of his beserker rage! He has also altered his fighting style to incorporate styles he learned under the influence of chaos.

Now I am a strong believer in Alaric's faith, and I do not believe that he has fallen, or is even close, (Emperor be praised!!!)but shouldn't some one within the ordo be keeping track of these experiences and maintaining standards within the order? Alaric is not unique in his prowess and adventures, so if you consider the fact that hundreds of Knights are having similar experiences and diverging from doctirin in what appear to be minor ways, before you know it there would not be any cohesion to the GKs, and ruinous influences of Chaos could more than easily infiltrait our ranks!!! To me, a Chaplain could solve this dilema.

Now as I said this is just my humble opinion, I am more than happy, and encourage you my brothers to share your points of view.

P.S
I have been trying to order BL novels through Chapters, and their websites say that the books are temporaily unavailable (all of them!) Does any one know what is going on?C
Constantine
Constantine
Adeptus Moderatus
Adeptus Moderatus

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next