Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Falchions

+3
first strike
piquedram
DRaiGoWING
7 posters

Go down

Falchions Empty Falchions

Post by DRaiGoWING Thu May 17, 2012 3:23 pm

Hey,

I know a lot of people hate falchions but has anyone tried kitting a unit of termies or paladins with them and brotherhood banner. Thats 3 attacks without even charging. In a unit of that with 4 falchions thats 16 force weapon attacks with high strength value after hammer hand and MOT and the like.

What do you guys think? Points sink or worth a try?

DRaiGoWING
Stormtrooper
Stormtrooper

Number of posts : 8
Army : Grey Knights
Registration date : 2012-01-01

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Falchions Empty Re: Falchions

Post by piquedram Thu May 17, 2012 3:33 pm

should calculate the use of the falchions compared to losing 1 or 2 guys. If you pick halberds your attacks land before the enemy's do, meaning less of your men die...

of course all depends on the enemy weapon loadout as well.

piquedram
Henchmen
Henchmen

Number of posts : 71
Registration date : 2011-07-02

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by first strike Thu May 17, 2012 6:02 pm

and who you are takeing on, if there I is 3 or less then falchions are a better investment, sadly I4 seems to be the average and the I6 halberd are the better investment. Even with Quickening it will mean that you will wipe out the unit you are charging and then get counter assulted, people tend not to assult halberds if they can avoid it.
first strike
first strike
Grey Knight
Grey Knight

Number of posts : 409
Army : Grey Knights, Eldar, Space Wolves, High Elf
Registration date : 2012-02-08

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by piquedram Thu May 17, 2012 11:10 pm

If my men have access to a libby with quicksilver i would consider falchions i think... extra attacks at i10? Nice!

piquedram
Henchmen
Henchmen

Number of posts : 71
Registration date : 2011-07-02

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Wired bob Fri May 18, 2012 12:42 am

Can you take a mixed unit of halberds and falchionsfor example in a 10 man gkss? I think you can but I havnt seen it unless it's a palidin unit as they have muiltipul setups for wound allicaition! If this is possible you could have 4 halberds 4 falchions and the other 2 with psycan at least this way u would be able to combat squad into to totally seperate unit??
Wired bob
Wired bob
Henchmen
Henchmen

Number of posts : 69
Army : Greyknights (building 100 man plus brotherhood)
Registration date : 2012-05-14

Back to top Go down

Post by Rivan Fri May 18, 2012 8:41 am

You can do that set up w/ GKSS but you're spending 60pts of upgrades for models w/ an attack profile of 1. IMO, its not worth the cost. At least for GKTs, the halberds are free and falchions are only 5pts/each.
Rivan
Rivan
Adeptus Moderatus
Adeptus Moderatus

Number of posts : 4404
Army : Grey Knights 7th Brotherhood, Salamanders
Registration date : 2009-03-05

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by jeffersonian000 Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:50 am

Unfortunately for Falchions, the best weapon mix for GKTs and Pallies is still half/half Halberds/Swords with 1 Hammer per 5 men. Gives you the best mix of high initiative, ok invul save, and high strength finisher/anti-vehicle per unit at no additional cost.

On PAGK, Swords win out over Falchions for being free, while Halberds win out for striking first. I still take 1 hammer per 5 men while leaving the rest with Swords for my PAGK, as every point saved adds up to more bodies in my army down the line.

Now, if Falchions were counted as two CCW with a special rule of +1A, netting us +2A for their price, it would be a different story and well worth maxing them out on a CC unit with Banner. But alas, GW made a bad call and robbed Falchions of that extra attack they should give us. That call on their part pretty much ruined Falchions for anything other than wound allocation shenanigans in 5th, and makes them a bad buy altogether in 6th with the current wound allocation rule.

SJ
jeffersonian000
jeffersonian000
Henchmen
Henchmen

Number of posts : 107
Army : Knights of the Word
Registration date : 2009-06-08

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Zealadin Tue Nov 06, 2012 5:27 am

Yea Falchs got sadly ruined with the FAQ answer (when you consider their cost), but you could take them if you really wanted to with a banner and priest with QS.
It gets expensive fast though...
Zealadin
Zealadin
Grand Master
Grand Master

Number of posts : 3279
Army : Retired Eldar, Puritan Grey Knights, Dark Eldar
Registration date : 2008-09-14

Grey knight
stats:

http://kael-din.com/

Back to top Go down