Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

GKs vs Necron carnage

+3
Klauzer
Rivan
Requiem
7 posters

Go down

GKs vs Necron carnage Empty GKs vs Necron carnage

Post by Requiem Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:28 am

Okay Brothers, I played a game against my bro today, didn't know whether he was going to play space wolves or necrons but we agreed to bring competitive 1250p lists so here's what I brought (a list which has untill now been very strong against eldar, old necrons, blood angels (dc heavy), dark eldar, tau, and orks):

Crowe

2 x 10 purifiers
4 psycannons, 2 hammers, 4 halberds

6 Terminators
Hammer + 5xHalberd + MC Incinerator + Psybolt ammo

5 Interceptors
Incinerator

Dreadnought
2 x TL autocannon + Psybolt ammo

Totaal: 1251p (the 1p is okay, just a friendly game xD )

Would've liked to bring more dreadnoughts but only have the one, don't really see how they could've changed the outcome but now I'm getting ahead of things xD

My brother played Necrons with this list:
Overlord:phaeron, warscythe, res orb, mindshackle scarabs
cryptek of destruction with solar pulse
warriors (10)
warriors (5)
warriors (5)
immortals(5)
Ghost ark
Monolith
doomsday ark
annihilation barge
2 heavy destroyers

5 objectives, spearhead deployment, he had first turn. Deployed everything in the back, monolith in front to shield everything should I steal initiative

I combatsquadded my purifiers obviously, and put as much behind cover as I could

Here's the battlereport:

Necron turn 1:
Everything shuffles around a bit
First pieplate from doomsday hits 5 purifiers, all 5 dead -> 4 psycannons less on the table
Second pieplate from monolith -> 2 terminators dead, i pass their morale test
Heavy destroyers penetrate my dreadnought, but I pass my cover save
Eldritch lance from cryptek (could be lord, honoustly can't remember) hits crowe and he's instagibbed off the table

Grey Knights turn 1:
I try to get everything in range and advance forward (not much use staying back with all his firepower...)
He uses his solar pulse so literally none of my shooting is in range, so nothing else to do here except for some run moves (obviously roll 1s)

Necron turn 2:
Everything shuffles forwards
Second pieplate from doomsday kills 3 more purifiers (scattered a bit)
Monolith destroys 2 more paladins
Monolith kills 3 more purifiers (2 more psycannons gone)
Heavy destroyers wreck my dreadnought
Normal from warriors & lord & cryptek squad kills 2 more purifiers

And here we just decide to call it... Im very, very dissapointed in this game as i didn't even shoot at anything and was clearly going to be wiped before turn 3 was even over.... I used cover to the best of my abilities, but to no avail, there was simply no way to even get anywhere near destroying even a warrior, let alone his monolith or doomsday ark... I was left with 8 purifiers, 2 terminators and my interceptor squad in turn 2, not having done a single thing...

This game has left me feeling like GKs just can not win against this kind of Necron list without tailoring, and even then its very hard... only option I see is to focus fully on terminators or paladins so you at least get some saves against their heavy support, and use land raiders, the rest of our codex really is just screwed against the new necrons...

My brother insisted I should've gone for Rhino's, but with the high str weapons the necrons can bring to bear it would be like delaying the inevitable imho... 2 Rhino's against all that shooting simply aren't going to last

Any thoughts?
Requiem
Requiem
Henchmen
Henchmen

Number of posts : 196
Army : Grey Knights and Daemons
Registration date : 2011-07-27

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

GKs vs Necron carnage Empty Re: GKs vs Necron carnage

Post by Rivan Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:09 am

IMO, your lack of mobility is what hurt you the most. Having to footslog against all the shooting is just not going to work--with or without cover.

I agree with your brother about rhinos. Don't underestimate the resilience of smoke/cover and Fortitude. Especially with spearhead, your rhinos could have been 12" away from the center--behind cover hopefully. One turn of cruising speed puts you at the center of the board. Even if the rhinos get wrecked there, your purifiers should already be within range to employ their psycannons.
Rivan
Rivan
Adeptus Moderatus
Adeptus Moderatus

Number of posts : 4404
Army : Grey Knights 7th Brotherhood, Salamanders
Registration date : 2009-03-05

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Requiem Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:48 am

I may have been overly brief in saying rhino's wouldnt work, but tbh against all the stuff he can bring to bear against armour (specially with the 6s to glance on warriors etc) there was just no way to bring the rhino's anywhere close to his side of the board, we mathhammered it and the odds were very big that the rhino's would be either wrecked/destroyed or at least immobilized... of course 40k ignores math, but still against these weapons 2 rhino's just weren't gonna cut it. He'd have around 70% chance of wrecking/destroying a rhino, 30% at immobilizing (this all from just penetrating hits) not even beginning to count all the glancings he can score
If instead of having 2x10 purifiers i'd have had 4x5 with a rhino then imho it could work, but that'll cost you 160p minimum on rhino's alone

Sorry for ranting xD
Requiem
Requiem
Henchmen
Henchmen

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Klauzer Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:39 pm

The rhinos or maybe even razorbacks would be much much better against necrons. Even if one rhino gets through, that puts you in CC range which means good things for you! Personally I like deep striking, and always take three skulls to land without splatting on something. Once you can get necrons into combat they can fall apart, and with purifiers even five of them in CC are devastating. So yeah seriously consider the mobility issue.
Klauzer
Klauzer
Henchmen
Henchmen

Number of posts : 94
Army : Really Fluffy
Registration date : 2011-09-11

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by GreyKing Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:13 am

Just curious but you said in the first necron turn "everything shuffles around a bit". Did that include the doomsday ark? The fire from those things are not nearly as effective when they move. Just to echo what the other brothers have already said, I think mobility is the key here. Be it armor or deepstrike you need to get close and assault.

GreyKing
Stormtrooper
Stormtrooper

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2012-01-02

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Constantine Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:04 pm

As said above in different forms...... Don't play into your enemies strengths by hanging around to be shot at. Get in their face! Twisted Evil
Constantine
Constantine
Adeptus Moderatus
Adeptus Moderatus

Number of posts : 5819
Army : Grand Master Mordrak's Brotherhood, Deathwing...Pretty much any first company! I LOVE terminators!!!
Registration date : 2008-05-26

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Requiem Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:41 am

hehe I took a generic (generally good list) which happened to be a footslogging army (which has never been much of a problem) because i didn't know what I'd be facing (space wolves, dark eldar or necrons), but without loads of transports (2 still won't cut in imho) you're in big trouble against this kind of necrons list

@GreyKing the doomsday ark didn't move (the large blast is ordance)

@Constantine
That what I tried xD deployed everything as far forward as was possible, but didn't get close to cc haha
Had i know he was going to play necrons like this I would probably have gone for a deepstriking termie list (worked a lot better against those damn large blasts xD)

Thnx for the advice every1 Smile
Requiem
Requiem
Henchmen
Henchmen

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by GreyKing Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:10 pm

No offense brother I was just afraid he moved the doomsday and still used the heavy blast template when he fired.

GreyKing
Stormtrooper
Stormtrooper

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2012-01-02

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Requiem Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:09 pm

None taken brother Smile
Requiem
Requiem
Henchmen
Henchmen

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by first strike Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:53 pm

From looking at the list of both yours and your brothers I will say 3 things
1. He has more firepower then you. Grey Knights in any form (strike squads, terminators, purifiers ect) do not have good firepower, we need inquisitoral henchmen for this, they are cheeper and carry more firepower.
2. In this edition of the game Vechiles are King, you had one (the dread),(he had 4), most grey knight vech do not have much firepower, (his do), (dreads are the top of our lists on cost to firepower output) the more vechles you have the longer you will stay in the game. With more Vechiles on the board he has to make more choices on where his heavy weapons shoot.
3. You were about the same on mobility, his fire power was better, your hand to hand was better but without mobility you never had a chance.
first strike
first strike
Grey Knight
Grey Knight

Number of posts : 409
Army : Grey Knights, Eldar, Space Wolves, High Elf
Registration date : 2012-02-08

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Zealadin Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:06 am

Crowe just isn't a good choice at 1250 point game, you pay a huge tax to take Puries and get a basically useless HQ who due to points limits won't have much cover, a transport, or really a role.

Alot of people would also argue that GK have better firepower than Necrons played correctly.

If you didn't get your puries into combat they may as well have been strike squads, a few extra PsyC won't outweigh the benefits of just more bodies.

As others have said you don't not take transports because the math says they'll die, thats a given without any math, its about getting a turn or two of extra movement and in many match ups for a balanced army you'll need them.
Even basic razorbacks with PsyB would be better.
Zealadin
Zealadin
Grand Master
Grand Master

Number of posts : 3279
Army : Retired Eldar, Puritan Grey Knights, Dark Eldar
Registration date : 2008-09-14

Grey knight
stats:

http://kael-din.com/

Back to top Go down