Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hey y'all Grey buddies. :-)

4 posters

Go down

Hey y'all Grey buddies. :-) Empty Hey y'all Grey buddies. :-)

Post by felidae99 Tue Feb 07, 2012 1:38 pm

Hey, I'm John in Denver. I'm 43, and getting back into the hobby after a long absence (late 80's). So far, I've bought the following - Books/Codex, Paint Station +. Army painter's most wanted brush set. About 19 GW paints, 3 washes. Cutters. emery's, Xacto, gorilla superglue, the Army Painter SF basing kit, Elmer's, E6000 glue, pound 'o D6's (Chessex) and a dice cube from GW, a pin drill, big can of spray primer/white , matte sealer (Army Painter), model files. For the actual army for a start I got a box of termies, 2 regular army boxes and a dreadknight. I just liked the Grey Knights the best after reading about/look at all the fifth ed. armies.

Have I missed anything? Oh yeah, and got a cool LED spotlight from Ikea for 10 bucks.

What should I add to the army next? I was thinking of a Stormraven or Landraider. Oh, and Cotez for my first HQ. Any and all suggestions will be read and appreciated. Also, are there any modelling supplies I missed? Links to you tube Grey Knight's stuff would be appreciated as well. :-)

felidae99
Stormtrooper
Stormtrooper

Number of posts : 3
Army : Grey Knights
Registration date : 2012-02-07

Back to top Go down

Hey y'all Grey buddies. :-) Empty Re: Hey y'all Grey buddies. :-)

Post by Rivan Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:07 pm

Welcome to the forums John!

Looks like you're pretty much set to start. You have a decent starting force to begin with. People have different preferences with regards to an SR or LR so that'll be up to how you tailor your list. I personally love LR's although I would use a SR from time to time.

Enjoy your stay!
Rivan
Rivan
Adeptus Moderatus
Adeptus Moderatus

Number of posts : 4404
Army : Grey Knights 7th Brotherhood, Salamanders
Registration date : 2009-03-05

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Aubec le noir Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:25 am

hi brother ! cheers
It seems that you're ready to go to crush deamons, pal ! Wink
one remark though, you have all you're army in Gks no henchmen and Inquisitors there (except Coteaz) so my suggestion is to buy a model to make your Great Master.
I think the GM would be a more useful and efficient addition to your army... more than coteaz anyway, in the state of your list today, that might evolve of course ! Razz Razz
and i'm with brother Rivan, about the LR/SR comparison : my personal preference goes to the LR (any type), for its resilience.
Aubec pirat
Aubec le noir
Aubec le noir
Adeptus Moderatus
Adeptus Moderatus

Number of posts : 3745
Army : 40K : GK (curious isn't it ;-) ) WHB : Dwarfs, Ogres, Mercs
Registration date : 2009-11-01

Grey knight
stats:

http://lacompagniephoenix.bb-fr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by felidae99 Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:40 pm

Do you mean Grand Master as HQ? Would a Brother Captain be better? What HQ should I start with? Coteaz seemed cheap, had some good skills/psy, and had the henchmen add. Lemme know and THANKS! :-)

felidae99
Stormtrooper
Stormtrooper

Back to top Go down

Post by Rivan Wed Feb 08, 2012 5:49 pm

It really depends on the points you're playing with, I use Coteaz and a GM in 1750pts and higher.

Brother Aubec is a purist at heart and loves all-GK lists Smile

I personally love Coteaz because he brings so much to a list for very cheap. Between a GM and a Brother Captain, you would always want a GM because for just 25pts more, you have access to Grand Strategy which gives you so much flexibility for your units.
Rivan
Rivan
Adeptus Moderatus
Adeptus Moderatus

Number of posts : 4404
Army : Grey Knights 7th Brotherhood, Salamanders
Registration date : 2009-03-05

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Souba Wed Feb 08, 2012 5:59 pm

firstly, welcome to this board brother.

yeah GM stands for grandmaster. brother captains are sadly no real option for this codex since you can "just" pay 25 points more and get a way better version, the grandmaster. grand strategy from the grandmaster greatly affects the way GK play and perfom on the table. a model for a grandmaster may be suited best for that. as there is no "real grandmaster model" right now. you can easily build one out of the terminator boxes. coteaz is also a nice option but only if you either build a henchmen army or you already got a grandmaster and support your list with him.
Souba
Souba
Brother Captain
Brother Captain

Number of posts : 1602
Army : Inquisitorial Army, Necrons, Dark Eldar, Daemons of Chaos
Registration date : 2009-11-07

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Aubec le noir Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:49 am

yeah sorry for the abreviation : GM means Great Master ! Embarassed
brother Rivan is right ... i'm a GK purist ! Razz Razz
but i keep thinking that a GM (Great Master Razz ) is for now a better addition to your list ... because of Grand Strategy and his ability to take all the funny grenades we have (rad, psyk-out, psycho...) and because you can easily make him with the GKT (GK termies) box and why not with the body of Caldor Draigo, or the body of the old BC (Brother Captain) of the GKT metal box (if you can have access of it).
if you want to make a mixed list with Coteaz go with it (the first principle is to have fun !! cheers ) but you have to buy more models : for the henchmen = mystics, Crusaders, DCA (Death Cult Assassins), acolytes with meltas or servitors with multi-melta : so it won't be cheap.
Instead you can but 1 model for your GM, and begin very quickly to play, with the purpose of discorvering the play style you like, and then enhance your army with henchmen, Dreadnought, inquisitors and so on.
finally i agree with my brothers : the BC is good, but isn't worth his points compared to the GM and his advantages.
Aubec pirat
Aubec le noir
Aubec le noir
Adeptus Moderatus
Adeptus Moderatus

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by felidae99 Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:36 pm

Good advice. Got links to some good starting 1000-1750 lists? I still haven't bought HQ. I've got the termie box (unopened). So you're saying just make one of the five into a GM? Or what model in a blister? bounce

felidae99
Stormtrooper
Stormtrooper

Back to top Go down

Post by Aubec le noir Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:37 am

for lists examples you've got here a dedicated topic : sector command => army lists => 1000 - 1500 points
what i say is : i think you'll have bitz when you've made you 5 GKTs : so use what's left to make your GM with the gear you selected for him with the body of Draigo or the body of a GKT that you could find or exchange with a friend.
Aubec pirat
Aubec le noir
Aubec le noir
Adeptus Moderatus
Adeptus Moderatus

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down