Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

1500 Point Grey Knights List (Advice Requested)

+6
Titus
Zealadin
andrew frost
elugin
Valten
Ceasarian
10 posters

Go down

1500 Point Grey Knights List (Advice Requested)  Empty 1500 Point Grey Knights List (Advice Requested)

Post by Ceasarian Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:24 pm

Good day,

After a few weeks of rummaging through the codex and slowly piecing together an army I believe that I have a “test” list for 1500 points that I would really like some feedback on if at all possible.
Here is the list-

Headquarters:
Librarian with 3x servo skulls with Shrouding, Dark Excommunication, & Warp Rift

Troops:
Troops One-
Grey Knight Strike Squad x 10
-Justicar has a Master Crafted Deamon Hammer
-2x Psycannons in the squad
Rhino Transport.

Troops Two-
Rhino Transport.

Troops Three-
Grey Knight Terminators x 5
With 2x Falchions, 1x Halberd, 1x Master Crafted Daemon Hammer (Justicar) & 2x Force Swords

Fast Attack:
Storm Raven Gunship with a twin-linked multi-melta and a twin linked assault cannon.

Heavy Support:
Heavy Support option One-
Grey Knight Dreadnought with dual Twin-Linked Autocannons with Psy bolt ammunition

Heavy Support option Two-
Grey Knight Dreadnought with dual Twin-Linked Autocannons with Psy bolt ammunition

This list leaves me at 1420/ 1500 points. Given that I have an extra 60 points to play around with I was considering adding a nemesis warding staff to each of the troops choices/ adding in a second Daemon Hammer to each of the squads, or other small upgrades to the troops choices. I have to fully make up my mind on this as of yet- and I would really appreciate any additional feedback/ advice.

Possible strategy with using this list:
The strength of this list is that is that is has several different components that I hope will be able to work together effectively in a variety of different missions (objectives, kill points, etc…)

First off, the librarian will hitch a ride with the Terminators in the Storm Raven. The Librarian can boost the cover save of the storm raven to a 3+ with his psychic powers. The Storm Raven will hopefully be able to crack open any big tanks (I’m looking at you land raiders) with the twin-linked multi-melta, as well as rhinos and light tanks (assault cannon). The Terminators and Librarian can hop out and hopefully wipe out an enemy unit. With the Librarian’s template power it stands a better chance at knocking out enemy armor in the backfield as well.

As the Storm Raven and Terminators rush forward the two Rhinos can advance as a second wave- using the 4x Psycannons to knock out lighter enemy armor and mopping up what the Terminators bypassed. Furthermore, in objective based games I can play more defensively- using these squads to hold objectives, or attempt to take my opponents. The advent of the combat squad gives me additional freedom in objective based games as well (splitting off to take objectives/ spreading out).

The heavy support choices will act as the long range fire power for the army, knocking out high threat targets before the two lines of Grey Knights engage the enemy. These high value threats of course will be other Dreadnoughts (tar pits!), bigger squads (they can put a sizable dent in an Ork squad in a single turn of shooting), things with power weapons (anything really) as well as light skimmers and vehicles.

I went with this list for several reasons:
A) I have about 1/3 of this list already painted up and pretty much good to go (Rhino, 8x GKSS, Dreadnought, other odds and ends)
B) I do not have a ton of other purchases that I would need to make in order to have this list completed (dreadnought arms…and another psycannon…just need the one…)
C) I can easily scale this list up to 1750pts (soon to be the tournament standard for one local store) or up to 2000 (the other store), or even down to 1000 points.
D) It is diversified- it is not five squads of purifiers in razorbacks- but rather an attempt to make as much of an all-comers GK army as I can possibly make- while attempting to stick near a theme (an armored column defending an objective).

Well that is the 1500pt list and a bit of my reasoning for it. I look forward to receiving your feedback and advice. As always thank you for your time,

-Cease
Ceasarian
Ceasarian
Grey Knight
Grey Knight

Number of posts : 411
Registration date : 2009-03-02

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

1500 Point Grey Knights List (Advice Requested)  Empty Re: 1500 Point Grey Knights List (Advice Requested)

Post by Valten Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:53 am

Really nice list. My only issue with it is the lack of halberds in it.

As you have so few models you need to ensure that once you're in close combat that they're going to come out on top, and in my opinion the best way to do that is to hit them first.
Valten
Valten
Justicar
Justicar

Number of posts : 552
Army : Grey Knights
Registration date : 2011-02-14

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

1500 Point Grey Knights List (Advice Requested)  Empty Re: 1500 Point Grey Knights List (Advice Requested)

Post by elugin Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:16 am

I agree with Brother Valten, the lack of halberds could be an issue. For the termies, I would swap the falchions with halberds or swords, as I see it improved initiative or improved inv save add more to survivability.
elugin
elugin
Grey Knight
Grey Knight

Number of posts : 368
Army : Gray Knights, Orks, Biel-Tan and the Court of the Young King, plus High Elves for Fantasy fans...
Registration date : 2008-10-08

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by andrew frost Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:34 am

Same here, Halberds are the way to go. Swords are good on the Termies, mix them.
Why the Dark Excommunication on the Lib, I personaly dont see a use for it unless you know you are going up against a deamon army. Quick Silver would be better.

andrew frost
Stormtrooper
Stormtrooper

Number of posts : 27
Army : Grey Knights, Deamons, Eldar, Tau
Registration date : 2010-08-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Zealadin Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:04 am

You would take quick silver if you had a large amount of falchions.
Dark Exc is also one of the few abilities that really is tailored for only a very specific enemy. Bit of a waste imo.
Zealadin
Zealadin
Grand Master
Grand Master

Number of posts : 3279
Army : Retired Eldar, Puritan Grey Knights, Dark Eldar
Registration date : 2008-09-14

Grey knight
stats:

http://kael-din.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Ceasarian Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:56 am

Thank you for the feedback,

I am really happy about the overall numbers in this list. My old 1500 point list had a whopping 19 infantry models and two vehicles (granted they were land raiders tongue )

I will have to go through and re-do some of the psychic powers on the Librarian- possibly make him level 3- as well as probably ditch the falchions going with halberds instead.
Perhaps I will take a few halberds on the GKSS squads as well- so that they can strike first in combat. With only 60 points left I will have to find a few areas that I can cut to make these changes.

For 1750pts I would probably add an upgrade to the different squads (here and there with some more weapons), as well as a full squad of 10x Interceptors with Psycannons, psybolt ammo- the works.
When I get home this evening I will make the corrections to the list and repost it.

-Cease
Ceasarian
Ceasarian
Grey Knight
Grey Knight

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Titus Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:39 am

My 2 cents=

1. For the Libby i would give him a Warding stave if you plan on having him with the termies and getting him in combat, psybolts and add at least summoning and might of titan. If you arent using the libby to summon or up the stength of your troops you may want to look at using a GM for the grand strategy instead.

2. drop the psycannons from the strike squads and give them habards and psybolt ammo. Even if you aren't footslogging them forward they still count as having moved for shooting from the rhino, then the psycannons will be forced to use the assault profile and their range and effectiveness is cut back. Also thats 2 nemesis force weapons that are lost which you will feel come close combat. I would also give the rhinos warp stabalization so they can be summoned.

3. Put a psycannon in the terminator squad and give the rest psybolts. The psycannon termies do not lose their nemesis force weapon and they always fire it using the heavy profile. Also replace the falchions and swords with Halbards, they are free for termies and I6 is awesome.

4. For the stormraven i would give it.... wait for it.... Psybolt Ammo!!!!( i see a trend here)

As i said just my two cents.
Titus
Titus
Grey Knight
Grey Knight

Number of posts : 298
Army : Grey Knights, Legion of the Damned, White Scars, Space Wolves, Fallen Dark Angels, 1000 Sons of Prospero(pre-heresy)
Registration date : 2010-02-07

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Brother Blutcher Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:34 am

As said up there about halberds and swords... I also miss a Brother Captain...
Brother Blutcher
Brother Blutcher
Justicar
Justicar

Number of posts : 663
Registration date : 2009-12-20

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Valten Fri Apr 15, 2011 2:56 am

If you've got the points spare, do you realise you could add a OXI with Power Sword, Rad and Psychotrope grenades for (I think) 65pts?

It's a cheap way of ensuring extra survivability in CC for the TAGK!
Valten
Valten
Justicar
Justicar

Number of posts : 552
Registration date : 2011-02-14

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Ceasarian Fri Apr 15, 2011 3:36 am

Good morning,
I made a series of changes here to the list based upon the feedback that I have received (thank you all for helping me out). I switched up the Librarian’s powers to Shrouding, Sanctuary & Might of Titan. I also gave the Librarian a Nemesis Warding Staff. For the troops choices I dropped the dual Psycannons from the first squad, opting to give them 5x Halberds as well as a Nemesis Warding Staff. For the second squad I dropped the Rhino transport and gave the squad psybolt ammunition. For the Terminator squad I dropped the 2x Falchions and have upgraded the squad to have the 3x halberds and a Nemesis warding staff.

Headquarters:
Librarian with 3x servo skulls with Nemesis Warding Staff, 3x Servo Skulls, Shrouding, Sanctuary & Might of Titan

Troops:
Troops One-
-5x Halberds in the squad
-Nemesis Warding Staff
Rhino Transport.

Troops Two-
-Psybolt ammunition

Troops Three-
Grey Knight Terminators x 5
With 3x Halberds, 1x Master Crafted Daemon Hammer (Justicar) & a Nemesis Warding Staff

Fast Attack:
Storm Raven Gunship with a twin-linked multi-melta and a twin linked assault cannon.

Heavy Support:
Heavy Support option One-

Heavy Support option Two-

1475/1500 points

How this list changes up tactics/ nifty tricks:
With this new list I have a dedicated objective grabbing squad with some impressive shooting capabilities (8x PsyCannon shots/ 16x str 5 storm bolters shots at 24’- most groovy indeed). I also have two solid assaulting squads even at 1500 pts. The Terminators in particular are going to be nasty- possibly being str 6- attacking for the most part at I6- Oh and having 2 models with a 2/2+ is not a bad thing either.

I ended the list with 25 points to spare. With these points I can give psybolts to another squad or the Storm Raven, or a few other upgrade possibilities. I would really like to know what your suggestions are as I am at a bit of a loss.

All in all (without playing it yet) I really like this list for a couple for a couple of reasons. First off, I think that it has enough variety and only spams one unit (but it is really REALLY good), and I hope that it can deal with a variety of armies out there. In my local area I really only ever face off against Space Marines er….Space Marine chapter armies. I get the feeling that I have enough shots/ high initiative power weapons where I can deal with some of the stuff that they throw my way.

Another big reason that I like this list is simply because it cuts down on stuff that I have to paint and buy. I will only need to buy another Aegis defense line for the autocannons and maybe another squad of GKSS. With this list I’ll have to paint the following:
Librarian & 3x Servo skull markers (from scratch)
9x GKSS (from scratch)
5x GKT (new terminator plastics)
1x Dreadnought (from scratch)

10x GKSS (touch ups)
1x Dreadnought (touch ups)

That is 19 models will have to be painted from nothing (possible rebasing for another 12). But I will not have to paint any new tanks save for a single Dreadnought.

As always thank you for your time, and I look forward to reading your responses.
-Cease
Ceasarian
Ceasarian
Grey Knight
Grey Knight

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by stormknight Fri Apr 15, 2011 4:18 pm

Mordrak would be better taken than a stormraven imo.
stormknight
stormknight
Grey Knight
Grey Knight

Number of posts : 331
Registration date : 2010-09-03

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Nausaden Fri Apr 15, 2011 4:32 pm

I like it Cease; very much so! GIVE THOSE TERMIES A PSYCANNON! 4 shots relentless is epic. DO IT Very Happy
Nausaden
Nausaden
Terminator
Terminator

Number of posts : 1085
Army : Pure Grey Knights *Daemon Hunters*
Registration date : 2009-08-03

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Titus Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:28 pm

I agree, Termies with psycannons will always pump out max shots at max range. The Power armored guys have to be standing still to do that.
Titus
Titus
Grey Knight
Grey Knight

Number of posts : 298
Army : Grey Knights, Legion of the Damned, White Scars, Space Wolves, Fallen Dark Angels, 1000 Sons of Prospero(pre-heresy)
Registration date : 2010-02-07

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by elugin Sat Apr 16, 2011 2:51 am

stormknight wrote:Mordrak would be better taken than a stormraven imo.
It depends on his master plan. Mordrak is not an IQ, so you MUST take the ghost knights if you want a unit to protect him from enemy fire. This means that he has to drop the regular termis, loosing flexibility on their setup (and a regular troop to grab objectives). If he wants to rely heavily on deepstrike, Mordrak is a bettere choice, if he plans to be more flexible, it is better to stik to this list.

Suggestion to improve your deepstrike capabilities, spend part of the spare points for a teleport homer on the SR.

There is one thing that I don't like very much, from a fluffy point ov view. GK want to rest in peace when after a glorious death, not be entombed in a living sarcofagus. Two dreads is too much for me. But as I said, this is a minor fluffy issue, overall your list looks well balanced.
elugin
elugin
Grey Knight
Grey Knight

Number of posts : 368
Army : Gray Knights, Orks, Biel-Tan and the Court of the Young King, plus High Elves for Fantasy fans...
Registration date : 2008-10-08

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Maximus Tue May 17, 2011 1:48 am

Just something I noticed, why so many warding staffs? I would drop the lot! They only give the ward save in combat only. I would go with halberd for those brothers as you would strike first and there should be nothing left to strike back of significance. Load out a few brothers differently with swords or falchions for wound allocation. Warding staff is just of no use at all....its a stick of which you can't even beat somebody over the head with. Laughing If you are going to take the Librarian I would definitley consider the summoning and there is no need to take him to level 3 you will just kill him with all those tests. His two are just fine. Use him to deepstrike with teleport homer and bring those termies in close and bring righteous slaughter to your enemies. Not sure on points wise but how about dropping the dreadnoughts in favour of a Brother DreadKnight!!! 12 inch movement and shunt....deepstrike. This guy could cause havoc!!!!

Realising I am relatively new to the game and Grey Knights, but not to the art of war there is one thing that I have immedietely seen in Grey Knights......Don't mess about on the backline....GET STUCK IN BROTHERS!!! Trying conventional, walk across the battlefield, tactics will just get your arse shot off. This is an army thats got to be played with big balls and just go for it mentality...of course in my opinion ONLY. Deepstriking using teleport homers, servo skulls and of course that delightful Summoning from the Librarian to bring the boys in close and accurate. I've got money your opponents will fill their trousers when you get in his face with the boys in silver using these tactics.

Maximus
Maximus
Henchmen
Henchmen

Number of posts : 62
Army : Grey Knights, Ultramarines, Bretonnians
Registration date : 2011-05-11

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down