Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New Models vs. Old

+14
Souba
Primo Victoria
Klomster
edmundblack
Constantine
fa11en
Valten
Slind
Sai
Zealadin
DarkRonin
Nausaden
Rivan
NemesisForce
18 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

New Models vs. Old Empty New Models vs. Old

Post by NemesisForce Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:03 pm

Now that everybody has gotten a good boo at the new models (some lucky ones in person), I was wondering what everyone's thoughts and plans were. I think the GK and Termie sprues were very well done. The detail and stuff to convert/mix-n-match with are outstanding. However, they didn't come close to blowing me away enough to do my whole army over again. That's just a testament to how really good the old metals are. The Termies, though detailed, to me aren't as cool looking as the original ones. I'm gonna be picking up a box though just to use for characters like the GM, Libby and Thawn. The sprues have way more than enough bling to make these models stand out.

I think the GK sprues entice me more because of the variety of new poses and weapons that can be taken. To me, the clarity of the sculpts is better than the old ones but the metals still stand up to the test so I won't be replacing them. I will be picking up one box as well to do a 5-man Interceptor squad. Those Buck Roger teleport backpacks have really grown on me since I first wrinkled my nose at them a week or so back. When Crowe comes out I'll be snagging him for the Brotherhood Champ.

Anywho, just wondering what road everyone else is planning on taking.
NemesisForce
NemesisForce
Inquisitor
Inquisitor

Number of posts : 1945
Army : Grey Knight, Black Templar, Chaos Space Marine, Tau Empire
Registration date : 2008-02-07

Back to top Go down

New Models vs. Old Empty Re: New Models vs. Old

Post by Rivan Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:10 pm

I'm planning to use my current GM (Rivan) and his GKT's as my paladins. I'll have to make another GM w/ a sword so I'm thinking of using Draigo's body but probably use different arms.

I will probably use the new PAGK for my GKSS/GKIS/purifiers since I love the 2 handed grip some of the poses have Very Happy

Edit(add):
Oh, and I'll use the new GKT for my regular GKT so they can be distinguished from my "old school" paladins.
Rivan
Rivan
Adeptus Moderatus
Adeptus Moderatus

Number of posts : 4404
Army : Grey Knights 7th Brotherhood, Salamanders
Registration date : 2009-03-05

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Nausaden Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:03 pm

Hmm, I really love all my metals. I am going to use my 2 five man squads, painted to my highest quality, as purifiers. There's even a guy with a staff that I converted to have white/blue flames, and this was a year and a half ago. They were destined to be purifiers in their dark gray armor Wink

My 16 Termies are going to become my squads of troops; save my Brother Captain Naus whose becoming a Paladin and my GM, and Stern. I'll use the new GKT kit to make more paladins/a librarian I think. I'd like to get the new PAGK sprues, for strike squads fast attack. I already have 4 special weapons (2 incinerators, 2 psycannons) so I should see if these psilencers are worth it at all.

Mainly, I just want the Dreadknight. And Draigo? With his helmet he is so awesome. I love his shield. For now I am just using a Hector rex I painted up to be him from his description. Oh, and Castellan Crowe looks very cool as well.

All my old models have their place in the new dex Wink
Nausaden
Nausaden
Terminator
Terminator

Number of posts : 1085
Army : Pure Grey Knights *Daemon Hunters*
Registration date : 2009-08-03

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by DarkRonin Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:07 am

For me, I'll be using my old models for whatever that I want in the new codex. If I end up needing to pick up some more peeps (Which I will mostly for hammers), it'll most likely be for some fun project. Other then that, I plan on working on all of the characters in due time and actually have a 8 distinct GM's to go along with what I have. At least one of them will have a P-silencer, which will be the next GM I'll be working on.

Even work on a GK Librarian, though not sure how to approach it now. Probably going to have to wait until I manage to get my hands on the old Brother-Captain model (Preparing for Nemesis Dreadknight).

The Crowe model is pretty neat, and I might field him just to field Purifiers even though I feel that a regular Brother Champ is better. If it wasn't for the Daemon Sword thing, I'd take him in an instant, but the sword doesn't really help with those stances and I don't like giving my opponent the chance to have furious charge. For now though with a B-Champ, I'll be using the GM I made that wore Artificer Armor (Based on Emperor's Champ) to be one. Even though the Justicar model is now considered a B-Champ, I have a few already that anymore would become to indistinct to use.

I see a lot of fun conversions happening over the next couple of months.

---EDIT---

I might also consider promoting my own Brother-Captain model with a Psycannon to count as a GM with a Halberd to fill to be another GM. Now that means I have 4 more to go. Ah this is going to be fun. Will I use all of them? Probably not, but it'll be a fun project to work on. Up to eight Distinct Heroes for each of the apparently eight different brotherhoods. Though one of them will most likely have to be Mordrak so that will leave me with 3 more characters for me to create from scratch. And Draigo shall be the ninth since even though he is the Supreme Grand Master, he is stuck in the Warp for crying out loud!
DarkRonin
DarkRonin
Justicar
Justicar

Number of posts : 554
Army : Grey Knights, Iron Knights, Salamanders, Thousand Sons, Mono-Tzeentch Daemons
Registration date : 2009-10-25

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Zealadin Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:42 am

I don't like the new GKT, so I'll be using the old ones, maybe with a few new arms.
The new PAGK aren't too bad, so I might use some for interceptors.

The DK is the main thing I'll be gettng.
Zealadin
Zealadin
Grand Master
Grand Master

Number of posts : 3279
Army : Retired Eldar, Puritan Grey Knights, Dark Eldar
Registration date : 2008-09-14

Grey knight
stats:

http://kael-din.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sai Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:23 am

I'm not so keen on the new terminators so I'll be using the old ones. I'll keep my strike squad too- I've only got 10 so there's enough variation in poses to keep them looking OK.

I'm not too fussed about the dreadknight- I'm just going to keep going with my sentinel legged dreadnoughts. The enhanced aegis isn't as good as a psychic hood but I'm going to at least have a go at not including a librarian.

I'll get at least 1 box of PAGK for interceptors. It'll also give me spare arms for my techmarine should I ever find it feasable to deploy him. I had an idea of linking up the backpack rods on the teleport units with fine wire for warp vanes. I'm thinking it will end up looking very 'Brotherhood of Steel'-like.

Come to think of it-
Dress like knights
Steel-grey armour
Advanced technology, often from the 'old world'
Big robots
Dedicated to a mission and intolerant of outsiders.

They share a lot with the brotherhood.
Sai
Sai
Justicar
Justicar

Number of posts : 754
Registration date : 2010-12-04

Back to top Go down

Post by Slind Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:34 am

I like the new models - I don't se them as neither better nor worse than the old ones, just different. However they have to big wins over the old models: They are plastic (thus lightweight), and they are costumizable.

I'll kick off a project to slowly migrate my army into the new range - replacing metal with plastic as i get things plainted.

Slind
Henchmen
Henchmen

Number of posts : 186
Army : Daemonhunters, Eldar
Registration date : 2009-09-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Valten Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:06 am

I personally don't own any of the metal GKs, so my GK force will be mainly made up using the new plastics.

I've seen the TAGK and the DK sprues in person and I have to say I haven't seen any other plastics with that much detail and options. The casts themselves are fantastic - I couldn't make out any flash which in itself is good.

I personally can't wait until April 2nd. I'm nipping down to the local GW during my lunch hour to see if they have started putting paint to plastic yet on their black box goodies!
Valten
Valten
Justicar
Justicar

Number of posts : 552
Army : Grey Knights
Registration date : 2011-02-14

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by fa11en Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:27 am

I'm planning on shelving all my existing plastic conversions. On top of that I have picked up some addtional metals (GKT box, PAGK box, GKT Psycannon & 2 PAGK Psycannon).

I have stripped all my existing metal minis for repainting, planning on going for a grittier, worn look. I am converting my space hulk librarian to be my GK Librarian. All sitting waiting to be painted now, apart from one test model. I also have 2 boxes of new PAGK plastics, 1 box of plastic GKT, Draigo and a NDK on order.

I have yet to decide what to use everything as but I am thinking:

Metal:
GKT - Troop GKT with options for Incinie & Psycannon.
5 PAGK - Purgutation Squad with 4 Psycannon.
Draigo - I will probably use as proxy GM rather than Draigo, but couldn't resist the model.
Stern - Stern or conversion fodder for different GM loadout.
PAGK Justicar - Brother hood champion, with black left arm as a nod to their 'chaplain' role.
Remaining PAGK - Not sure, most likely a small strike squad and purifiers.

Plastic -
GKT - I will use these as Paladins most likely, due to having the additional 'finery' to pimp them out.
PAGK - Strike Squad or Interceptor Squad. The quesion is do I go the hassle of magnetising the back packs or just glue the transporter packs on and just play as strike squads if needed...
NDK - Magnetise all the options and try to give a slightly more dynamic pose.
Librarian - Force axe proxying for Halberd, greenstuff icon on shoulder, remove blood drops and paint left arm blue as 'librarian' identifyer.
fa11en
fa11en
Henchmen
Henchmen

Number of posts : 140
Army : Grey Knights, Daemons, Deathwing & Flesh Tearers
Registration date : 2010-01-01

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Constantine Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:33 am

I am going new models all the way Cool
Primarily because I sold all of my old ones months back Razz , but also because I am really excited about the modeling prospects opened up with all plastic kits.

I agree that there are aspects of the old GK models/metals that are better than the new kits, but to me these are minimal. With a little tweaking I believe that I can create some beautiful new models that will make me VERY happy Very Happy
Constantine
Constantine
Adeptus Moderatus
Adeptus Moderatus

Number of posts : 5819
Army : Grand Master Mordrak's Brotherhood, Deathwing...Pretty much any first company! I LOVE terminators!!!
Registration date : 2008-05-26

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Valten Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:35 am

Constantine wrote:I am going new models all the way Cool

The question is, are you going metallic or NMM?
Valten
Valten
Justicar
Justicar

Number of posts : 552
Army : Grey Knights
Registration date : 2011-02-14

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by edmundblack Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:44 am

I have plenty of the older ones, all mounted up on slate bases and snow flock, lovingly painted and named, all with drilled barrels and as diverse a set of poses as I could manage considering they're metal.

The new ones don't sing to me in the same way the metal ones do. I'd argue that the GKTs in particular are a slight step backwards in quality compared to the metal ones. The helmets on the plastic ones are too big I think, and for the PAGKs the storm bolter clips are far too sticky-out. The inline belt feed is much better.

So I doubt I'll get any new plastic ones, as I've all the GKs I need right now I reckon. Cool
edmundblack
edmundblack
Henchmen
Henchmen

Number of posts : 171
Army : Grey Knights, Ordo Xenos, Imperial Cannon Fodder, Eldar
Registration date : 2010-05-15

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Constantine Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:41 pm

Valten wrote:
Constantine wrote:I am going new models all the way Cool

The question is, are you going metallic or NMM?

That is indeed the question...
Constantine
Constantine
Adeptus Moderatus
Adeptus Moderatus

Number of posts : 5819
Army : Grand Master Mordrak's Brotherhood, Deathwing...Pretty much any first company! I LOVE terminators!!!
Registration date : 2008-05-26

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Klomster Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:05 am

What i think of the models compared to the old ones.

Pagk: old < new. The old ones wasn't that great really and had alot of flaws, the biggest flaw with the new pagk is some of the heads and the ammo clip. Straaange the clip looks.

Termies: OLD ---------> new. The new ones have nothing against the old ones, who simply are, wonderful.
I will have to get a few more of the old ones but it seems like it might be very expensive.

Dreadknight: old? < new. Well, it's better looking than nothing, so that's good, i would remove the stupid baby harness though and make more of a cockpit head if i bought it though.

Overall, ok update.
Klomster
Klomster
Adeptus Administratum
Adeptus Administratum

Number of posts : 4321
Army : Think positive, it will soon get worse. (Mechanicus)
Registration date : 2007-12-21

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Zealadin Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:29 pm

I was wondering if some kind of sheild over the guy inside the dreadknight might not hide him? /ponders.

The PAGK in plastic are definately good in many ways. I literally couldn't bring myself to order the plastic terminators though!
Zealadin
Zealadin
Grand Master
Grand Master

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Primo Victoria Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:49 pm

I love the old models but the new ones look great as well IMO. I have a quite a few metal figures but I am going to use a lot of the new figures. I ordered just over 5000 pts of the new figures (so I am out of money) and they will now basically fill out my army for normal and especially apoc games.
I really like Draigo and Crowe as well as the new Dreadknight. Paladins with their customizable options are going to be my favorites of the new guys.
Primo Victoria
Primo Victoria
Stormtrooper
Stormtrooper

Number of posts : 12
Army : Grey Knights (6000+ pts), Ultramarines (15000+ pts), Deamon Hunters (retired),
Registration date : 2011-03-24

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Rivan Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:54 pm

Pretty impressive standing GK army and an even more impressive soon to be added new GKs! That's a lot of money Razz

Welcome to the forums BTW! Enjoy your stay.
Rivan
Rivan
Adeptus Moderatus
Adeptus Moderatus

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Klomster Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:56 pm

Wut?

5000 pts, that's lots.

Well i hope you do enjoy your investment.

I am almost tempted to get a dreadknight and build a centurion assult engine.
For my mechanicus of course.
Klomster
Klomster
Adeptus Administratum
Adeptus Administratum

Number of posts : 4321
Army : Think positive, it will soon get worse. (Mechanicus)
Registration date : 2007-12-21

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Rivan Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:05 pm

5000 pts plus his current 6000+ GK army Very Happy
Rivan
Rivan
Adeptus Moderatus
Adeptus Moderatus

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Primo Victoria Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:38 pm

I hope I enjoy my investment as well. When they are built I should have a little more than 11k points for the large style apoc games we play at my local gaming store. With my bank acc truly stretched I have a lot of painting to do starting Apr 2. Thanks for the Welcome Rivan.
Primo Victoria
Primo Victoria
Stormtrooper
Stormtrooper

Army : Grey Knights (6000+ pts), Ultramarines (15000+ pts), Deamon Hunters (retired),

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Souba Thu Mar 24, 2011 5:34 pm

welcome brother. i have to say thats really is impressive. are all painted up? would love to see such a big force Smile
Souba
Souba
Brother Captain
Brother Captain

Number of posts : 1602
Army : Inquisitorial Army, Necrons, Dark Eldar, Daemons of Chaos
Registration date : 2009-11-07

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Primo Victoria Thu Mar 24, 2011 7:49 pm

About 5800 are painted I have a few that I have not had the chance to work on yet but once I get the 5 k I ordered I would like to dedicate a lot of time to getting them ready for the table top and such (cause I don't field unpainted units because I find if I don't paint first I never will because I will get lazy and IMO they don't come out as well at least for me.) I've been working on an armored company of Ultra-marines for apoc but they are mostly already painted I'm just finishing them up. If I can find my pos camera I will post some pics but I have no idea where it is so that could be a while.
Primo Victoria
Primo Victoria
Stormtrooper
Stormtrooper

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Zealadin Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:53 am

Wow thats impressive!
Welcome to the forum as well!!!!

So you must have bought like 4 boxes of GKT (Paladins) right? Thats around 5000 points Very Happy

Jokes aside, I'd love to see some pictures!
Zealadin
Zealadin
Grand Master
Grand Master

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Primo Victoria Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:28 am

Jokes aside I did buy 10 boxes of termies 4 of which will be pallies and if I can find my fail camera buy the time I finish painting I will upload pics.
Primo Victoria
Primo Victoria
Stormtrooper
Stormtrooper

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Zealadin Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:08 am

Awesome.
I have ordered two of the new GKT, 2 PAGK, two DK and the codex so far, sadly my accounts were already empty so it was a bit restrained!
That being said I've also been trying to get my hands on the old GKT since I think they are more attractive, and will probably be a better 'troop' GKT while the new ones can be purifiers, they are beefier afterall!
Also working on a SR but unsure if it will ever actually be used.
Zealadin
Zealadin
Grand Master
Grand Master

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down