It doesn't matter how spangly a new codex may be...

View previous topic View next topic Go down

It doesn't matter how spangly a new codex may be...

Post by Sai on Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:28 pm

I had my first game using the Grey Knights against a Blood Angel force yesterday. We only had 35/40 minutes so we went for 750 point armies.

He went with a full tactical squad, an assault squad, and a fairly scary looking death company with a reclusiarch. There were a couple of thunder hammers, powerfists and meltaguns spread across the three squads.

I took:

A Brother-Captain with Word of The Emperor (71)
4 Terminator retinue with an incinerator (199)

Two 5 man Grey Knight squads without upgrades (300)

A dreadnought with an assault cannon, missile launcher, HK missile and extra armour. (140)

My guys come to 710, but the other player has only been playing for a couple of years so we agreed my assault cannon would use the C:SM rules and figured it as even.
Hammerhand is a more useful power than Word of The Emperor generally, but the idea of a bunch of Blood Angels refusing to charge made the twisted dark part of my soul chuckle.

He set up with the tactical squad on my left flank with the Death Company holding the center and the assault squad about 6" further to the right. (it was a 3.5x4' board)
I threw everything on the left flank and walked backwards from the assault squad and Death Company spraying them with storm bolter fire while keeping terrain between me and the tactical squad.
He decided to run the tactical squad into 12" of a Grey Knight squad, figuring on drawing them into close combat so that the Death Company and Assault squad could close the distance and deliver a whole bunch of power weapon pain.
Unfortunately for him, he was also in assault range of the terminators, and the combined charge wiped them out to the loss of a single retinue member.
While this was going on the dreadnought and second Grey Knight squad were pelting the Death Company to the point that when it arrived a wounded reclusiarch and two assault marines were all that was left. The reclusarch killed a single Grey Knight before the Justicar cut him into little pieces.

Even though I was on the lucky side with the terminators being in range to charge and only losing two Grey Knights (they shall be remembered), I'm pretty pleased with how the army worked out against the new codex Blood Angels. The Grey Knights' ability to fall back and gun down the elite while charging and slaughtering the 'normal' marines won through, though relying on the dreadnought to take down armour could have been an issue if the opposition had anything bigger than a razorback.

It doesn't matter how spangly a new codex may be, one tactical slip-up will ruin you.

Sai
Justicar
Justicar

Number of posts : 749
Registration date : 2010-12-04

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: It doesn't matter how spangly a new codex may be...

Post by Aubec le noir on Fri Jan 07, 2011 1:50 am

it's always about strategy and tactics ... always
even if a dice roll can ruin you !! Razz Razz
Aubec pirat

Aubec le noir
Adeptus Moderatus
Adeptus Moderatus

Number of posts : 3638
Army : 40K : GK (curious isn't it ;-) ) WHB : Dwarfs, Ogres, Mercs
Registration date : 2009-11-01

Grey knight
stats:

View user profile http://lacompagniephoenix.bb-fr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Titus on Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:19 am

I have noticed that my Grey Knights excell in small skirmishes where there is an absence of high strength armor and weapons. Its when getting into the 1500+ points range that the enemies heavy armor and MEQ killing weapons take their toll.

Titus
Grey Knight
Grey Knight

Number of posts : 298
Army : Grey Knights, Legion of the Damned, White Scars, Space Wolves, Fallen Dark Angels, 1000 Sons of Prospero(pre-heresy)
Registration date : 2010-02-07

Grey knight
stats:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by DonFer on Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:38 pm

GK do exceedingly good against infantry. But put them against a Furioso Dread (in a 750pts game) and kiss them goodbye. There is no way GK can hurt that damn thing. Mad Same goes against MC.
The thing is the lack of response to these threats is accentuated in games of 1500 or more, since we have to rely on Mech to deal with bigger/nastier threats. So until the new codex comes out it's better to soften them up from afar and finish the work on the last assault turn. Very Happy

DonFer
Terminator
Terminator

Number of posts : 1398
Registration date : 2010-10-21

Grey knight
stats:

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content Today at 2:31 am

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top