Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

40K League 2000 pts vs SM

4 posters

Go down

40K League 2000 pts vs SM Empty 40K League 2000 pts vs SM

Post by Rivan Thu Oct 07, 2010 12:16 pm

Last night was the final week of the league (wk 6) and I matched up vs SM. The special rules made it very interesting and tactically challenging.

Special rules:
-All monstrous creatures, battlesuits and walkers are scoring units
-All monstrous creatures, battlesuits and walkers have psychic powers (chosen from a list created by the organizer)
Mission: Kill Points 2.0 (only SCORING units can earn KP!) (15 battle points)
Add'l mission: Kill all scoring units (5 battle points)
Add'l misison: Kill all non-scoring units (5 battle points)

Deployment was Spearhead and I went first.

SM List
Shrike
Master of the Forge
10 assault terminators (all TH/SS)
Dread w/ mm, dccw w/ sb (psychic power: warp charge - when destroyed, explodes d6 + 1", S8, AP3, no cover)
Dread w/ mm, dccw w/ sb (psychic power: warp charge)
Dread w/ ac, dccw w/ sb (psychic power: warp charge)
Dread w/ 2 twl autocannons (psychic power: night shroud - enemy attempting to shoot this unit must make a successful Ld test first)
Iron clad dread w/ drop pod (psychic power: warp charge)
5 scouts w/ sniper rifles, 1 ml
5 scouts w/ bolt pistols, ccw; sarge has pw
Land speeder storm
2 attack bikes w/ mm (2 separate units)
10 man tactical squad (1 ml, sarge has pf)

I wanted to use my GT list again but w/ all the special rules with this game, I felt it wouldn't be an accurate test. So I used the following:
My List
GM w/ m-c nfw, icon, si, ph & hammerhand
8 x PAGK (1 'cinnie) (embarked w/ GM in LR)
10 x PAGK (2 'cinnies) (embarked in LR)
7 x PAGK (2 p-cannons)
5 x IST (2 meltas); chimera w/ ea & sl
5 x IST (2 meltas); chimera w/ ea & sl
GK Dread w/ twllc, ml, ea & sl (psychic power: null zone - per C: SM)
GK LR w/ ea & sl
GK LR w/ ea & sl

Facing 5 dreads is daunting enough, and he had 10 assault termies w/ 3+ invuls that can Fleet too. Additionally, I had to consciously remember that my most effective weapons (twllc) cannot score KP. Even then, I saw that I had the advantage of range (except for his autocannon dread which was more anti-infantry anyway). So my strategy was pretty simple: 1) my long range AT will take out the dreads 2) my scoring units will go for the softer targets (scouts, tac squad, etc), and 3) avoid Shrike and the 10-man termie unit at all costs Razz And that's pretty much how it went.

I chose my left corner as my deployment zone and placed my units in a tight bunch w/ my only non-embarked p-cannon squad setting up in terrain. He deployed 4 dreads in his deployment zone. He placed the Storm (w/ 5 scouts), the 2 attack bikes and the tac squad in reserve. And just as I expected, he infiltrated the termies (w/ Shrike) and the 5 sniper scouts 18" away from my units.

In summary, I waited for his termies to footslog to within 1 turn of reaching assault range and all my vehicles zoomed away except for the dread who couldn't get away far enough due to the termies' Fleet ability. The LR's did their job by immobilizing most of his dreads making their 24" weapons useless. The master of the forge was able to repair one of them eventually Razz My PAGK squads were able earn most of the KP by eventually taking out his scout squads and 1 of the attack bikes. The IST did good as well and took out the iron clad and the drop pod. While I lost several units like the dread, 1 LR, both chimeras and 1 IST squad, they were all knocked out by his non-scoring units. The 1 KP he scored was a ml hit to my chimera from his tac squad.

The dreads' psychic powers didn't come into play as much. Most of his psychic tests were blocked by my GM's hood. My dread's null zone didn't really affect much except for making his termies re-roll a couple of 3+ saves from lascannon shots (which he made anyway).

Final score was GK: 5 KP SM: 1 KP for total battle points score of 15-0 Solid victory for the Knights! cheers

Finished the league with a 3-3 record and ended up in the top half (maybe even top 10 -- have to wait for the final standings to be posted). Not bad for an outdated codex and the reputedly least competitive army in 40K Razz Razz
Rivan
Rivan
Adeptus Moderatus
Adeptus Moderatus

Number of posts : 4404
Army : Grey Knights 7th Brotherhood, Salamanders
Registration date : 2009-03-05

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

40K League 2000 pts vs SM Empty Re: 40K League 2000 pts vs SM

Post by Aubec le noir Thu Oct 07, 2010 1:44 pm

yes brother... not bad at all Razz
Aubec pirat
Aubec le noir
Aubec le noir
Adeptus Moderatus
Adeptus Moderatus

Number of posts : 3745
Army : 40K : GK (curious isn't it ;-) ) WHB : Dwarfs, Ogres, Mercs
Registration date : 2009-11-01

Grey knight
stats:

http://lacompagniephoenix.bb-fr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by DarkRonin Thu Oct 07, 2010 3:32 pm

Wow, 6 Dreads, now that would be a daunting site for anyone to behold. You have done very well for yourself Brother Rivan. The Emperor will smile upon your success for years to come.
DarkRonin
DarkRonin
Justicar
Justicar

Number of posts : 554
Army : Grey Knights, Iron Knights, Salamanders, Thousand Sons, Mono-Tzeentch Daemons
Registration date : 2009-10-25

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by GMKDynamis Sun Oct 10, 2010 3:29 pm

Good strategy and nice work brother. It payed off.
GMKDynamis
GMKDynamis
Justicar
Justicar

Number of posts : 508
Army : Grey knights, Inquisition, Flesh Tearers
Registration date : 2010-09-02

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content