Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

40K League 2000 pt vs SM

3 posters

Go down

40K League 2000 pt vs SM Empty 40K League 2000 pt vs SM

Post by Rivan Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:08 pm

Last night was the 5th week mission and we've bumped up to 2000 pts. Normally, people bring several lists and wait until they know who they're playing before choosing which list to use. I decided I needed as much practice w/ my mechanized list to prepare for the Nov GT so I intended to use it vs. any opponent...and I was matched up vs. vanilla marines Very Happy

Mission: Take and Hold (15 pts), Spearhead deployment; Additional mission: do not outflank w/ any unit (5 pts); destroy all enemy transports (5 pts)
Special rules: all m-creatures, battlesuits and walkers have infiltrate and are scoring units

Space Marines List
HQ - Vulkan Hestan
EL - 7 SM termies all w/ lightning claws
LRC transport
EL - 7 Sternguard all w/ combi-meltas; sarge has pf; drop pod
EL - Dreadnought w/ multi-melta and dccw
FA - land speeder w/ assault cannon and multi-melta
TR - 10 man squad w/ flamer, multi-melta; sarge has pf; rhino
TR - 10 man squad w/ flamer, multi-melta; sarge has pf; rhino
HS - 5 man devastator squad w/ 2 ml & 2 lc
HS - predator w/ twllc and lc sponsons
HS - predator w/ autocannon and hb sponsons

My opponent had first turn and selected his left corner to deploy in, giving me my left corner.
Deployment - He declared a drop pod assault and his speeder was going to outflank. His deployment zone had more terrain and he was able to deploy most of his units completely or partially behind cover. The LRC of course was at his deployment edge ready to charge forward into my lines. The devastator squad camped on a hill right in front of his home objective w/ a tac squad in a rhino and the dread nearby.
I had less (or smaller terrain) and just stacked my vehicles w/ 2 LR's in front completely covering my HQ LR and the 2 chimeras. I parked them as close to my corner edge as possible hoping that his drop pod will scatter to the winds (or off the table).
I attempted to seize initiative but failed.

Turn 1 - No such luck. His drop pod came in and landed on target about 7" away from one of my front LR's and out came 7 sternguard w/ 7 combi-meltas. I thought, oh well, I'll still have 2 LRs Very Happy His LRC moved closer still hugging terrain (he figured he didn't have enough range yet to get within 12") while his predator moved into firing position. His sternguard opened fire with only 3 combi-meltas!?! scratch He hit twice and managed to penetrate w/ one...and rolled a 2 (+1) resulting in a weapon destroyed, taking out 1 twllc cheers His devastator squad fired at the same LR but everything either missed or bounced off. The pred fired at the other lead LR and everything bounced off as well. This would be my first of two big breaks in the game Very Happy
On my turn, the lucky LR w/ 1 twllc (#1) zoomed straight up into the next table quarter (my opponent's right side) intending to loop around and attack his objective and popped smoke. The other lead LR (#2) moved up 6" and pivoted to present its broadside to the incoming LRC and popped smoke as well. Moreover, it completely roadblocked the only clear pathway for the LRC to get into my deployment zone without having to go through difficult terrain. The HQ LR moved up 12" to the sternguard squad and disembarked my GM and retinue. The 2 chimeras stayed put. I shot up the sternguard and assualted w/ the HQ squad, wiping it out.
Turn 2 - He rolled for reserves but the speeder is not in yet. His LRC zoomed up 12" towards my LR #2 blocking the road and disembarked Vulkan and his 7 termies (hoping to decimate my PAGK squad once the LR is destroyed). His dread and other pred (w/ autocannon and hb) moved to head off my LR #1 that was looping around. One of his rhinos did the same maneuver and zoomed from his deployment zone into my right quarter, intending to loop around and approach my zone from the bottom. The LRC fired at LR #2 w/ its multi-melta (twl thanks to Vulkan), hit and penetrated (downgraded to glancing) and destroyed 1 twllc. The pred fired at the same LR and managed a lucky glancing roll of 6, immobilizing it. The devastator squad fired at the other LR #1 and only managed to shake it. The drop pod sb fired and actually killed one of my GKT Evil or Very Mad
On my turn, The HQ squad re-embarked (much to my opponent's taunting that my HQ squad was cowardly and was afraid of Vulkan and his termies). I just told him I have other more important plans for them Razz My offensive LR #1 moved another 12" closer to his deployment zone and shot the dread but the dread made its cover save. My immobilized LR #2 only had the drop pod w/in its arc of fire and shot but completely missed. I wasn't too stressed that it was immobilized because it was in a perfect angle to block LOS to my other units. More importantly, his HQ squad has a long way to go around it if they were going to footslog their way to me. Chimera A moved 12" towards his LRC and I fired 2 melta shots from the top hatch, hitting w/ both, penetrating with both, and completely destroying it cheers The explosion reached his termies but nobody was killed. The other chimera B moved up 6" and fired at the devastator squad but the squad made its armor saves.
Turn 3 - His speeder came in outflanking right into my deployment zone and had a clear LOS to my chimera B's back armor. His rhino approaching from the bottom moved another 12" and made it into my deployment zone and popped smoke. His dread moved closer to my LR #1 intending to shoot and assault. His HQ squad decided to go for the chimera A that destroyed their ride. His devastator squad shot my HQ LR while the pred shot LR #2 and both did nothing. The speeder shot and penetrated chimera B but only managed to destroy the multi-laser. The dread shot my incoming LR #1 w/ its m-melta but failed to penetrate Razz It then assaulted but needed 6's to hit and missed. Vulkan and his termies assaulted chimera A but needed 12's to hit. They only hit 4 out of 24 attacks and managed to glance once and did a crew shaken.
On my turn, LR#1 backed up and shot the dread, penetrating and immobilizing it. The HQ LR moved down to head off the incoming rhino, shot it and stunned it. Chimera A zoomed 12" to his lascannon pred and shot it, but only immobilized it. My immobilized LR #2 shot the drop pod and just shook it. Chimera B disembarked the IST squad and pivoted, shot the speeder w/ hb but did nothing. The IST squad moved up to the speeder and fired meltas, hit once and immobilized it.
Turn 4 - His devastator squad targeted LR #1 and everything bounced off again. The dread shot LR #1 as well but completely missed his twl m-melta shot. His immobilized pred shot chimera A and wrecked it forcing my IST squad out. His HQ squad started trudging towards difficult terrain to attempt circumventing the LR #2 roadblock. His speeder and drop pod shot up the IST squad from chimera A, killing 3. They failed morale and ran off the table Razz Lastly, to my great surprise, his other rhino that was guarding the home objective left the objective and zoomed 12" headed for my deployment zone scratch
On my turn, chimera B moved right up to the speeder to completely block it's LOS. PAGK squad from the immobilized LR #2 disembarked and rolled a 6" run to move 12" to claim my home objective. HQ LR shot and annihilated his first rhino, killing 5 of the 10 guys inside. The IST's from chimera A shot and destroyed the pred's twllc. LR #1 shot the dread and took the m-melta off. LR #2 shot and failed to destroy the drop pod, again Evil or Very Mad
Turn 5 - His 2nd rhino moved another 12" into my deployment zone. The 5 remaining marines from the first tac squad fired a multi-melta but only shook the HQ LR. The speeder fired at the chimera point blank and immobilized it (perfect Razz ) Vulkan and his termies finally made it around LR #2's front (although they were still in difficult terrain). Dev squad fired all on LR #1 and managed 1 stun result. The lascannon pred fired a lc sponson at the IST squad, killing 1.
My turn...HQ squad disembarked and HQ LR zoomed up to park in front and parallel to the immobilized LR, forming a 14" solid wall of adamantium, and completely derailing Vulkan's progress Razz LR #1 zoomed towards the 2nd rhino and disembarked its PAGK squad. IST squad fired at the lascannon pred and totally missed. LR#2 and HQ LR both fired 1 twllc each at the drop pod and it still survived! LR #1 shot the rhino and immobilized it. HQ squad assaulted the 5 remaining SM from the first tac squad and wiped them out. PAGK squad from LR #1 assaulted the immobilized rhino and destroyed it, forcing the 10 SM out.

Random game length roll = 3, game ends. GK controls 1 objective, SM controls none. Victory for the Grey Knights! If I had freakin' destroyed the drop pod, I would have gotten max points of 25 but ended up w/ 20 pts instead Very Happy

Overall, I really liked how my units played out. Of course, I got unbelievably lucky w/ the two tactical mistakes my opponent made (firing w/ only 3 combi-meltas and leaving his objective unclaimed). Careful positioning of my tanks in conjunction w/ difficult and impassable terrain pretty much nullified his autocannon pred as well as make Vulkan and his 7 termies trudge around in circles Razz The rest can be contributed to the randomness of dice rolls. My 3 LRs were still alive by game end although a couple of sponsons were missing and 2 were immobilized. But who would have thought that a drop pod will survive 5 rounds of lascannon shots? Razz The presence of 3 LRs actually contribute to the survivability of the 2 chimeras since the LR's attract the bulk of enemy fire. My opponent commented that facing 3 LR's was really daunting specially as the game draws on and they are all still moving and firing.

So far so good for this build, 2 out of 2 wins.
Rivan
Rivan
Adeptus Moderatus
Adeptus Moderatus

Number of posts : 4404
Army : Grey Knights 7th Brotherhood, Salamanders
Registration date : 2009-03-05

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

40K League 2000 pt vs SM Empty Re: 40K League 2000 pt vs SM

Post by Xethik Thu Sep 30, 2010 1:15 pm

A bit surprising that he took Lightning Claws over Thunder Hammers. Thunder Hammers are a bit more "fluffy" for Salamanders and plus, Vulkan master-crafts them. I know not everything is about minmaxing or fluff (play what you want to play!) but it surprises me a bit.
Xethik
Xethik
Henchmen
Henchmen

Number of posts : 200
Army : Grey Knights, Dark Eldar, Ravenwing and Deathwing
Registration date : 2010-08-10

http://the-grey-knight.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Aubec le noir Thu Sep 30, 2010 1:22 pm

well done pal !! cheers cheers
Aubec pirat
Aubec le noir
Aubec le noir
Adeptus Moderatus
Adeptus Moderatus

Number of posts : 3745
Army : 40K : GK (curious isn't it ;-) ) WHB : Dwarfs, Ogres, Mercs
Registration date : 2009-11-01

Grey knight
stats:

http://lacompagniephoenix.bb-fr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Rivan Thu Sep 30, 2010 1:31 pm

Xethik wrote:A bit surprising that he took Lightning Claws over Thunder Hammers. Thunder Hammers are a bit more "fluffy" for Salamanders and plus, Vulkan master-crafts them. I know not everything is about minmaxing or fluff (play what you want to play!) but it surprises me a bit.

I was surprised as well and asked him about it and he said he honestly thought he would be facing 'nids or daemons. Due to our current standings, he didn't expect to face GK's, much less GK's w/ 3 LR's Razz
I personally would have had at least 3 TH's in there if not 4.
Rivan
Rivan
Adeptus Moderatus
Adeptus Moderatus

Number of posts : 4404
Army : Grey Knights 7th Brotherhood, Salamanders
Registration date : 2009-03-05

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content