Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hello

+4
Rivan
Xethik
Constantine
Death_by_Taxes
8 posters

Go down

Hello Empty Hello

Post by Death_by_Taxes Sat Sep 11, 2010 8:15 am

Hey all,

I’ve been lurking for a while and figured I’d introduce myself. I’m from Ottawa (Canada) and I own 5 Tim Hortons. If you’re from Canada, nuf said, for those that don’t know what that means, as far as awesomeness goes, I’m in between professional hockey player and a rock star Wink Livin’ the dream…..

I started 40k about 7 years ago, with Tyranids being my first army. I have about 4k pts with about another 3k pts of FW goodies. Their colour scheme is green skin with black/grey carapaces. Not a big deal at the time, until Orks got a new codex and amazing new models that I just love. Now I have 2 green skinned horde armies. Ugh bounce . I have about 2k pts of regular Orks and about one of each of the new Ork FW models (all in various stages of assembly/painting). After all that, I needed a little break, so I started looking around for a small, but elite army, which led me here (Grey Knights). I love the iconography/imagery of the Inquisition (Sisters included).

I’ve just picked up some selected models, 3 Land Raiders (is that too many Razz ) and all the FW special characters and upgrades. I hope to have them all done by next Spring, just in time for the new codex and plastic models. Please, please, please fingers crossed.

That’s about it for now. I will be posting some GK Noobie questions soon enough.

I’m not a huge/fast reader, so if I was only going to read say 2 books about Grey Knights, which would be the 2 must reads?

Thanks James

Death_by_Taxes
Stormtrooper
Stormtrooper

Number of posts : 17
Registration date : 2010-08-31

Back to top Go down

Hello Empty Re: Hello

Post by Constantine Sat Sep 11, 2010 9:01 am

Welcome James!
Nice to have another Crazy Canuk on the Forum! There are a few of us now Very Happy. This is definitley the place to be if you want to get into GKs!!!

I would suggest reading the Grey Knight's omnibus from the Black Library if fluff (unofficial of course)is what you are looking for....OR the Codex if you want more game specifics.

I think you have an avatar that is already in use by one of our brothers......

BC
Constantine
Constantine
Adeptus Moderatus
Adeptus Moderatus

Number of posts : 5819
Army : Grand Master Mordrak's Brotherhood, Deathwing...Pretty much any first company! I LOVE terminators!!!
Registration date : 2008-05-26

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Xethik Sat Sep 11, 2010 9:21 am

I'm from upstate New York so I hadn't seen a Tim Hortons until recently when I went to Buffalo. The Canadian influence there is huge, so I saw what I thought was a ton of Tim Hortons there. Then I took a two week internship in Quebec City... I had to see at least a dozen Tim Hortons on the first day.

As for the Grey Knight Omnibus, it has been hit or miss for a lot of people I talk to. Some people loved it and others hated it, saying the action wasn't all that great and a lack of character interaction was had. I have not read it yet because of this but I think I will. I didn't find Ben Counter's (the other of the Grey Knight Omnibus) writing bad in the Soul Drinker novels, so I think I may enjoy them.

But either way, there aren't really any other books with Grey Knights in it, as far as I Know.
Xethik
Xethik
Henchmen
Henchmen

Number of posts : 200
Army : Grey Knights, Dark Eldar, Ravenwing and Deathwing
Registration date : 2010-08-10

http://the-grey-knight.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Rivan Sat Sep 11, 2010 10:34 am

Welcome James! Glad to have you among our ranks! Very Happy
Rivan
Rivan
Adeptus Moderatus
Adeptus Moderatus

Number of posts : 4404
Army : Grey Knights 7th Brotherhood, Salamanders
Registration date : 2009-03-05

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by NemesisForce Sat Sep 11, 2010 9:03 pm

Hello and welcome. Yes, Tim Horton's is right up there with beavers and maple syrup as far as Canadian icons go.
NemesisForce
NemesisForce
Inquisitor
Inquisitor

Number of posts : 1945
Army : Grey Knight, Black Templar, Chaos Space Marine, Tau Empire
Registration date : 2008-02-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Zealadin Sun Sep 12, 2010 12:17 am

Welcome to the forum and the brotherhood!
I found the first Grey Knight novel pretty bad really, it was basically a space marine novel with the tiniest of Grey Knight fluff splashed in, and alot of the Grey Knight stuff goes totally contrary to what alot consider to be canon lore.

The codex is the best source at the moment sadly.

Did you get the full Grey Knight door sets for your land raiders? I got some from forge world and was quite impressed!
Zealadin
Zealadin
Grand Master
Grand Master

Number of posts : 3279
Army : Retired Eldar, Puritan Grey Knights, Dark Eldar
Registration date : 2008-09-14

Grey knight
stats:

http://kael-din.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by MJSwasey Sun Sep 12, 2010 1:08 am

Those door sets are a fantastic and cheap addition to any GK army.

Welcome brother! My extent of canadianess is a fondness for Timmy Ho's and frequent college trips no more than 5 minutes over the border, But i am well versed in the GK!

MJSwasey
Justicar
Justicar

Number of posts : 927
Registration date : 2009-08-08

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Aubec le noir Sun Sep 12, 2010 2:21 am

hi james cheers
Aubec pirat
Aubec le noir
Aubec le noir
Adeptus Moderatus
Adeptus Moderatus

Number of posts : 3745
Army : 40K : GK (curious isn't it ;-) ) WHB : Dwarfs, Ogres, Mercs
Registration date : 2009-11-01

Grey knight
stats:

http://lacompagniephoenix.bb-fr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Death_by_Taxes Sun Sep 12, 2010 5:28 am

Thanks for the welcome words guys.

I have a copy of the codex which I’ve read. I think I’ll still grab the Omnibus, though. I’m currently trudging my way though the Space Wolves books. The first two were very meh. I may switch to the Horus Heresy for a couple of books. I was able to pick up 6 of the books at a marketplace for basically nothing.

As for the FW stuff, I’m a bit of a resin head. You may have gathered that from my first post. My bank account and FW’s bank account have been dating for several years now and it’s getting pretty serious. I think their talking about marriage. Laughing Zealadin, yes the FW sculpts are amazing and as far kits go, I got 1 Redeemer complete kit, 2 of the upgrade kits, one of each LR door set, 2x Rhino psycannon upgrade, Hector Rex, Solomon Lok, Tech servitor, one of each of the Dreads (and 8 of the arms. A man needs options, right? Very Happy ), 2x each of the Rhino rear, top, and side doors, some etched brass and purity seals. Pretty much everything but the Thunderhawk. Is that too much? Razz

Death_by_Taxes
Stormtrooper
Stormtrooper

Number of posts : 17
Registration date : 2010-08-31

Back to top Go down

Post by Zealadin Sun Sep 12, 2010 6:24 am

Haha very nice.
Heres to hoping next codex we can properly feild our redeemers! I'll definately get a FW one when that happens.
Hector rex is also an AMAZING model, one of the few that really puts the normal GKT to shame.
I'm tempted to grab one, but have sadly had my own bank issues lately (mainly relating to my cat getting into fights, and my bike getting flat tyres Evil or Very Mad )

I also have a FW dread torso, but didn't get the arms at the time, which I kind of regret.
Zealadin
Zealadin
Grand Master
Grand Master

Number of posts : 3279
Army : Retired Eldar, Puritan Grey Knights, Dark Eldar
Registration date : 2008-09-14

Grey knight
stats:

http://kael-din.com/

Back to top Go down