Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

GW North American 40K Tournament Rd2

+2
NemesisForce
Rivan
6 posters

Go down

GW North American 40K Tournament Rd2 Empty GW North American 40K Tournament Rd2

Post by Rivan Sat Jun 19, 2010 7:52 pm

Ended up going against a good buddy of mine (who's one of the veteran players in my local GW) and had a really good tourney game today. I'll make my report a brief summary coz I'm not feeling well Sad

1750 CSM list (from what I saw on the board)
HQ - Lucius
HQ - Daemonprince w/ warptime
TR - squad of 10 CSM w/ various noise weapons and rhino
TR/EL (?) - squad of 6 chosen w/ 2 meltas and 2 plasma guns and rhino
HS - defiler w/ battle cannon and reaper AC
HS - predator w/ AC and 2 LC sponsons
HS - 2 x obliterators
EL - Greater Daemon of Slaanesh

My 1750 list
HQ - GM w/ m-c nfw, p-cannon, si, ph and HH
3 x GKT's (1 p-cannon)
TR - 6 x PAGK's (2 p-cannons; targeter, mb)
TR - 6 x PAGK's (2 p-cannons; targeter, mb)
TR - 6 x PAGK's (2 p-cannons; targeter, fg)
HS - dread w/ twllc, ml, ea & sl
HS - LR w/ ea & sl
HS - LR w/ ea & sl

Mission: Annihilation Deployment: Pitched Battle

I won the roll and decided to deploy first and go first (although it hardly mattered due to terrain)
GW North American 40K Tournament Rd2 Deployment2-1
GW North American 40K Tournament Rd2 Deployment-1
The terrain pieces you see is basically one big piece considered area terrain. You can't see through it unless you are actually inside the terrain.

I deployed in one big huddle w/ my HQ squad and one troop squad embarked. Everybody else lined up behind the 2 LRs. He did pretty much the same on the other side, hugging his 12" line ready to speed forward.

The game basically went according to my expectations as far as tactics and movement. I was able to position my forces in such a way that I was able to make good use of my psycannons. Combined shooting from 2 squads brought the daemon prince down to 1 wound and Justicar Armael sent it back to the warp when it assaulted his squad. Again, in the next turn, combined shooting put 3 wounds on the greater daemon making it easier for my GM to send it back to the warp too.
What really hurt me was very bad dice rolling Evil or Very Mad I was rolling 1's on 2+ saves for my GKT's! Even my GM took 2 wounds on regular armor saves.
Over all, I only recall one mistake on my part and it was a matter of shot selection (shooting at the predator when I should have shot a rhino for an easier KP).
Highs and lows of the game:
- his Chosen squad zoomed up in their rhino, disembarked and shot 2 melta guns at my LR but only managed to destroy one LC, Justicar Uriel's squad in turn jumped out of the LR, shot them to bits and followed up w/ an assault that wiped them out.
- My GM and retinue disembarked from their LR, shot up and completely wiped out a CSM squad before they can even hit back.
- his daemonprince, used warp time (which I failed to block w/ ph), and wiped out squad Uriel.
- My GM blocked his next two attempts at warptime (good %, blocked 2 of 3 for 67%)
- My GM and retinue fail miserably at regular armor saves and eventually fall after being forced to take more invul saves.
- his defiler was immobilised early in the game but was still able to manage a lucky shot w/ the autocannon which destroyed my dread and took 3 PAGK with it Evil or Very Mad

Game ended with 4 KP apiece and I tallied 808 vp while he scored 886 vp. The game was a tactical draw.

I can't stress enough the value of targeters and a psychic hood. Using targeters and movement allowed me to make judicious use of my p-cannon shots while the psychic hood works awesome vs. warptime, fortune and the like.
Rivan
Rivan
Adeptus Moderatus
Adeptus Moderatus

Number of posts : 4404
Army : Grey Knights 7th Brotherhood, Salamanders
Registration date : 2009-03-05

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

GW North American 40K Tournament Rd2 Empty Re: GW North American 40K Tournament Rd2

Post by NemesisForce Sat Jun 19, 2010 8:40 pm

I agree on the psychic hood. Used it for the first time against my buddies Tyranids and now I'll never leave home without it. That was quite the weird board layout. And yes, go for the Rhinos first in Annhilation. I know though it's so damned hard not go for the vehicles that present the most threat.
NemesisForce
NemesisForce
Inquisitor
Inquisitor

Number of posts : 1945
Army : Grey Knight, Black Templar, Chaos Space Marine, Tau Empire
Registration date : 2008-02-07

Back to top Go down

GW North American 40K Tournament Rd2 Empty Re: GW North American 40K Tournament Rd2

Post by Border Sat Jun 19, 2010 8:42 pm

Good game brother. My fellow heretical roommate just bought a 2500pt Tyranid army, and PH has tons of things to negate!
Border
Border
Henchmen
Henchmen

Number of posts : 164
Army : Grey Knights
Registration date : 2009-06-16

Grey knight
stats:

http://www.kbanadyga.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Rivan Sat Jun 19, 2010 8:46 pm

NemesisForce wrote:I agree on the psychic hood. Used it for the first time against my buddies Tyranids and now I'll never leave home without it. That was quite the weird board layout. And yes, go for the Rhinos first in Annhilation. I know though it's so damned hard not go for the vehicles that present the most threat.

I know. My immediate impulse is to eliminate units that can hurt me back. However, in this case, that extra shot at the rhino could have won me the game Razz

Overall, I'm really getting into the groove with this list. Will definitely use it for GamesDay in Las Vegas next year (unless we somehow get our new codex and we have new options Very Happy )
Rivan
Rivan
Adeptus Moderatus
Adeptus Moderatus

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Socrates Sun Jun 20, 2010 7:19 am

Nice report and btw you were a bit lucky since they choosen ones didnt make kaboom at your LR Smile Luck is with the strong ones Razz Btw if i were you i would have deployed a bit more to the left or the right to make his forces divine while trying to move arround the aerial terrain. So i would have less theats to worry about for a while.

Socrates
Stormtrooper
Stormtrooper

Number of posts : 20
Registration date : 2010-05-31

Back to top Go down

Post by Rivan Sun Jun 20, 2010 9:48 am

Socrates wrote:Nice report and btw you were a bit lucky since they choosen ones didnt make kaboom at your LR Smile Luck is with the strong ones Razz Btw if i were you i would have deployed a bit more to the left or the right to make his forces divine while trying to move arround the aerial terrain. So i would have less theats to worry about for a while.

I know Razz One melta gun missed and the other one scored a pen but only destroyed a weapon. I'll take that any day!

I did consider that deployment strategy but it wouldn't have changed much since he would have gone through the terrain in a diagonal pattern en masse. I discussed this with him post-game and I was correct, that's what he would have done. He was a veteran player and he knew that using terrain was the great equalizer for him. He gets cover saves vs. all my lascannon shots and if I had to assault him there, it would neutralize whatever initiative advantage I had.
Rivan
Rivan
Adeptus Moderatus
Adeptus Moderatus

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Socrates Sun Jun 20, 2010 9:56 am

Sounds nice plan for him, but does he really want to get something immobilized trying getting the terrain? Razz Plus he had to move through difficult terrain then and you could have moved arround and get the kill points you wanted from safety, plus you dont have to chase him in there, plus you also get cover saves after he is cos he is to deep in the terrain Razz My thought though "_"

Socrates
Stormtrooper
Stormtrooper

Back to top Go down

Post by Rivan Sun Jun 20, 2010 10:29 am

Yeah, he took a lot of risks going into difficult terrain but only one of his rhinos got immobilized.

My limitation is I only have two transports so my other 2 squads plus the dread can't keep up. The last thing I wanted to do was to divide my forces too far apart where they can't support each other. Remember, he had a daemon prince and a greater daemon that both moved 12". This is what prevented my LR's from really moving far and shooting.

But I see what you're saying though. Versus a list that didn't have as much mobility and individually powerful units (Lucius, Daemon prince & Greater Daemon), the tactic you mentioned would have worked perfect Very Happy

Last edited by Rivan on Sun Jun 20, 2010 10:38 am; edited 1 time in total
Rivan
Rivan
Adeptus Moderatus
Adeptus Moderatus

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Socrates Sun Jun 20, 2010 10:34 am

Its nice exchanging thoughts and tactics, and i really admire your reports and the way you think in game. Thats why i am reading all of them and make comments or asking Smile Keep up the good work Smile I also have about the same list as you used in the round 1 and i ll post some results from the upcoming Geconcide Chronicles in 2 weeks from Greece Razz Guild Wars is for Fantasy ppl Razz We destroy planets so Genocide Chronicles would fit more for a name Razz

Socrates
Stormtrooper
Stormtrooper

Back to top Go down

Post by Rivan Sun Jun 20, 2010 10:41 am

Good luck with that and looking forward to your reports.

I definitely welcome the comments and advice. Same here, I enjoy exchanging thoughts because, more of often than not, someone will come up with a tactic or a philosophy that everyone else hasn't thought of. I know my lists and style of play have evolved (for the better) after reading posts from other people here at the forum.
Rivan
Rivan
Adeptus Moderatus
Adeptus Moderatus

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Brother Ezekiel Sun Jun 20, 2010 12:42 pm

Just a note on the CSM list thing,Chosen are Elites and that Greater Daemon is out of the normal force organisation chart,so its not really elite,HS,HQ,Troops or FA.

I enjoyed reading the report,obiously because Chaos won,but still even if they would have lost,I propably would have enjoyed it.Seems that luck swam around,not being all the time on one players side,which is good since it makes the game more interesting.I mean its nice to win,but when you annihilate the other guy and don't really have to do anykind plan changes or anything,its just plain boring.
Brother Ezekiel
Brother Ezekiel
Justicar
Justicar

Number of posts : 691
Location : Segmentum Obscurus,Battle Barge Immolative Onslaught
Army : White Raven Space Marines 5th Company and the new Bloodoathed Chaos Space Marines,also Empire General Rainer 'Cursebreaker' 'Dwarf-helper' Raukovs independent 18th army of Nuln
Registration date : 2008-11-30

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Rivan Sun Jun 20, 2010 4:30 pm

Brother Ezekiel wrote:Just a note on the CSM list thing,Chosen are Elites and that Greater Daemon is out of the normal force organisation chart,so its not really elite,HS,HQ,Troops or FA.

I enjoyed reading the report,obiously because Chaos won,but still even if they would have lost,I propably would have enjoyed it.Seems that luck swam around,not being all the time on one players side,which is good since it makes the game more interesting.I mean its nice to win,but when you annihilate the other guy and don't really have to do anykind plan changes or anything,its just plain boring.

True, it was really an enjoyable game. Although, even if he edged me by 78 vp, the game was officially a tactical draw.

Also, if the game had continued to a 6th turn, I probably had the higher percentage to win since I had first turn and I would probably knock out his remaining oblit and assault his predator's back armor. After that, he wouldn't have anything left that can hurt my 2 LRs Very Happy
Rivan
Rivan
Adeptus Moderatus
Adeptus Moderatus

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Aubec le noir Mon Jun 21, 2010 9:27 am

I consider you won because you killed all the warp creatures of his army (which is the holy duty of our order! ) letting him with only the feable renegade CSM !! Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
definitely like your army too !! Twisted Evil Razz
Aubec pirat
Aubec le noir
Aubec le noir
Adeptus Moderatus
Adeptus Moderatus

Number of posts : 3745
Army : 40K : GK (curious isn't it ;-) ) WHB : Dwarfs, Ogres, Mercs
Registration date : 2009-11-01

Grey knight
stats:

http://lacompagniephoenix.bb-fr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down