Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

400 Point Puritan Combat Patrol

+2
MJSwasey
DarkRonin
6 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

400 Point Puritan Combat Patrol Empty 400 Point Puritan Combat Patrol

Post by DarkRonin Thu Nov 05, 2009 7:51 pm

Well for the hell of it, after looking at some of the extra Storm Troopers that I have lying around (Was planning on combining both GKs and ISTs later down the line in bigger games), I decided to try putting together a Combat Patrol list after reading over the rules. It's appears interesting in its respect that it's Patrol on Patrol action.

Anyway, here is the list:

Squad 1
7x Storm Troopers
2x Special Weapons (2 of 7 carrying the weapons)

Squad 2
7x Storm Troopers
2x Special Weapons (2 of 7 carrying the weapons)

Squad FIVE!!!
1x Veteran Sergeant (Close Combat Weapon, Hell Pistol, Power Armor)
6x Storm Troopers
2x Special Weapons (2 of 6 Carrying the weapons)

Chimera
Multilaser
Heavy Flamer
Pintle Mounted Storm Bolter
Extra Armor
Dozer Blade
Smoke Launchers

The Chimera will be with Squad FIVE!!! The special weapons for the other two squads are undecided as of this moment. I'm just unsure of how to break them up. I have eight special weapons all together, two flamers, two grenade launchers, two plasma, and two melta. This list of course is comprised of models that I have left over, since I'm not including the GKs, I felt that this will give my Storm Troopers, those brave men from the Imperium of Man who are asked to fight with only a fire in their bellies and a bayonet (Use the Bayonets, USE THE BLOODY BAYONETS!!!).

Anyway, what are some of your thoughts on the list at hand?
DarkRonin
DarkRonin
Justicar
Justicar

Number of posts : 554
Army : Grey Knights, Iron Knights, Salamanders, Thousand Sons, Mono-Tzeentch Daemons
Registration date : 2009-10-25

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

400 Point Puritan Combat Patrol Empty Re: 400 Point Puritan Combat Patrol

Post by MJSwasey Fri Nov 06, 2009 12:19 am

its a nice idea, but why not just use em as IG instead? better tanks for cheaper and more heavy weapons per squad

MJSwasey
Justicar
Justicar

Number of posts : 927
Registration date : 2009-08-08

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Nausaden Fri Nov 06, 2009 9:04 pm

Nice Brother; I think I'll try to rummage about and get some IST's. Play some 500 point games, focused on using the squads to their fullest.
Nausaden
Nausaden
Terminator
Terminator

Number of posts : 1085
Army : Pure Grey Knights *Daemon Hunters*
Registration date : 2009-08-03

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by NemesisForce Fri Nov 06, 2009 9:08 pm

Looks good though I personally wouldn't field a Vet. The points for the upgrade and power armor would be better spent on more Troopers.
NemesisForce
NemesisForce
Inquisitor
Inquisitor

Number of posts : 1945
Army : Grey Knight, Black Templar, Chaos Space Marine, Tau Empire
Registration date : 2008-02-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Aubec le noir Sat Nov 07, 2009 1:03 am

i think to 400 points-patrol template GK don't worth the price (i tried No ) so your list is one of the best that could be made for the points
Aubec pirat
Aubec le noir
Aubec le noir
Adeptus Moderatus
Adeptus Moderatus

Number of posts : 3745
Army : 40K : GK (curious isn't it ;-) ) WHB : Dwarfs, Ogres, Mercs
Registration date : 2009-11-01

Grey knight
stats:

http://lacompagniephoenix.bb-fr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by DarkRonin Sat Nov 07, 2009 5:52 am

Thank you for your comments Brothers, I appreciate this.

@MJS - Sadly, since I just started over the summer, I didn't get anything that would be considered a troop choice for IG. So I wouldn't be able to use them.

@Nemesis - I agree with you on upgrading the Vet, even giving him upgrades, but I did this to fill in the extra points I had left over after seeing the amount of ISTs I had placed inside. So once I get some more, this list should change for sure.

@Nausaden - Using squads to the fullest in the small sided games appealed to me myself, since it's a skirmish, not a full out battle. So some squad based actions seem fun.
DarkRonin
DarkRonin
Justicar
Justicar

Army : Grey Knights, Iron Knights, Salamanders, Thousand Sons, Mono-Tzeentch Daemons

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by MJSwasey Sat Nov 07, 2009 11:07 am

so...... you have three squads of storm troopers, and none of them look even remotely like guardsmen/vets?

*head explodes*

MJSwasey
Justicar
Justicar

Number of posts : 927
Registration date : 2009-08-08

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Nausaden Sat Nov 07, 2009 11:16 am

Indeed Brother Ronin; small skirmish games with objectives tend to be short and fun! It can be a nice break from the apocalyptic wars that we go through so often. Albeit, we only have 20-25 models on the board in most cases anyway Razz
Nausaden
Nausaden
Terminator
Terminator

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by DarkRonin Sat Nov 07, 2009 4:08 pm

I ordered my Storm Troopers through a local retailer, and they ordered the Kaskin Squad, which I enjoy more then the other Storm Troopers. It was a mistake on their part, but I didn't mind one bit since with two of them plus a special weapon pack, I was able to flesh out three squads. I painted them a dark red and black for there uniform and then guns metal, frags, and so on.
DarkRonin
DarkRonin
Justicar
Justicar

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Nausaden Sat Nov 07, 2009 9:28 pm

I have one Storm Trooper; one of the Inquisitional ones with a really adorable helmet. Since you have to order them, I think I'll just put him as a squad Sargent and get myself some cool Karskins; their visors look totally badass when painted.
Nausaden
Nausaden
Terminator
Terminator

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by DarkRonin Fri Jan 15, 2010 9:55 pm

Well today I actually played a game of Combat Patrol against my friend and won both times through the power of my Inquisitional Storm Troopers. Though it wasn't like the list above (Which was made at a time when I didn't have many Storm Troopers as I do now). The first game was a close one, since a single Raptor squad (5 raptors, one upgraded to Aspiring with a pair of claws) nearly wiped out an entire squad of 7 ISTs (All 7 died, but I say nearly because one died from an overheating plasma gun).

And the second game we played, was a today massacre. Only a single wound taken and it was only my Inquisitor from a bolt pistol from a Raptor that Deep Striked next to him and his retinue.

Anyway, here is the newly revised list which did very well tonight:

Elites - Inquisitor
- 3x Gunservitors
- 2x Heavy Bolters
- 1x Multimelta
Troops - Inquisitional Storm Troopers
- 7x Storm Troopers
- 2x Plasma guns
- Rhino
- Extra Armor
- Smoke Launcher
Troops - Inquisitional Storm Troopers
- 7x Storm Troopers
- 1x Plasma guns
- 1x Meltagun
- Rhino
- Extra Armor
- Smoke Launcher

I'd just have to say that after seeing how massed hellguns and melta/plasma guns do to Chaos Space Marine squads, that it felt good to use normal men (and three walking dead cyborgs). The foul traitors bled in His name this night.
DarkRonin
DarkRonin
Justicar
Justicar

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Rivan Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:35 pm

Congrats! Can you imagine when the time comes that our ISTs' hellguns will be the same as IG stormtrooper hellguns? AP3 goodness! cheers

I'm pretty confident that, IF we can still have IST in our new codex that their hellgun stats will be the same as the IG ST stats Very Happy
Rivan
Rivan
Adeptus Moderatus
Adeptus Moderatus

Number of posts : 4404
Army : Grey Knights 7th Brotherhood, Salamanders
Registration date : 2009-03-05

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by DarkRonin Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:49 pm

I would find it odd with hot-shot lasguns. It would be cool, but how about something along the lines of a newer version of a hellgun.
DarkRonin
DarkRonin
Justicar
Justicar

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by DarkRonin Sun Jan 17, 2010 5:28 pm

Right now after asking whether or not Temple Assassins could be used within Combat Patrol within the "Tactics" sub-forums, I've devised a new list. This new list of course includes an Assassin. So let me know what you think, or how I could improve upon it.

Elites - Inquisitor
Elites - Eversor
Troops - ISTs
- 5x Storm Troopers (2x Plasma guns)
- Rhino (Extra Armor, Smoke Launchers)
Troops - ISTs
-5x Storm Troopers (Plasma gun, Meltagun)
- Rhino (Extra Armor, Smoke Launchers)

Of course their is about 29 points left over that I'm not sure as to how to spread them out. Maybe deck the Inquisitor out with Wargear so he's not naked and an IC so he could join an IST squad in a Rhino and have some fun shooting things on the move.
DarkRonin
DarkRonin
Justicar
Justicar

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Rivan Sun Jan 17, 2010 6:09 pm

I agree. I would give the inquisitor some wargear so he can make a positive contribution to the game. Probably an incinerator and CCW for 21 pts?

Also, IMHO, I would give your IST squads a flamer each rather than multiple plasma guns. In a 400 point game, I doubt if you'll meet a lot of tough models. The chance of overheating plus an iffy 4+ save could hurt you.

So one squad will have a flamer and melta while the other one would have a flamer and plasma. Just my two cents... Very Happy
Rivan
Rivan
Adeptus Moderatus
Adeptus Moderatus

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by DarkRonin Sun Jan 17, 2010 6:56 pm

Thank you Brother Rivan for your advice, I'll see how this works out. I'll try it out and see how it works out.

The only opponent I face on a regular basis is my friend who's a Chaos Space Marine player. And I remember the look on his face when both of my rhinos unloaded its cargo of 7 ISTs a piece, flanking his two squads, one a Chosen squad of 5, and the other was a squad of 5 normal CSM with a Rhino with a Havoc Launcher behind them both.

That Rhino was stunned by a MM from my Inquisitors retinue during this turn. Both Squads separately DECIMATED both squads in that one turn of shooting. After that all he had left was a Raptor Squad with Lightning claws which couldn't make it in from Deep Strike until turn 4. It was also his first time experimenting with a deep striking unit that wasn't an obliterator. Once that happened, it was over.
DarkRonin
DarkRonin
Justicar
Justicar

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Rivan Sun Jan 17, 2010 7:10 pm

Nice! Yeah, when those rapid fire plasma guns work, they work really nice. I guess its not that bad now that it only has a 16.7% chance of overheating even on rapid fire Very Happy
Rivan
Rivan
Adeptus Moderatus
Adeptus Moderatus

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by DarkRonin Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:40 pm

Well just used the previous list but with an Inquisitor with an Incinerator and he didn't do much, nor did my IST's for that matter. Only one turn of shooting a piece. What made the game was the Eversor.

This time my friend used about 230 Points worth of Raptors (Had an upgraded champion with a pair of claws and melta bombs). And about a 9 man CSM squad with a rhino. Unlike previous games, where he used the Rhino as a cheap gun platform, he rushed it forward with his CSM inside. He got within Rapid Fire range for his one Plasma gun and glanced the armor of my own rhinos. After that, I disembarked the Inquisitions finest soldiers and got some shots in from both squads.

At this time however, his Raptors were approaching but weren't in assault range yet, but my Eversor popped out of cover and assaulted them head on. It was ugly, but he caused 3 wounds (First time using him and went for the gauntlet instead of the power weapon) out of his surprisingly 10 attacks. The raptors then only managed to get 3 out of fifteen hits in and only then only 1 wound was caused, and failed the save for that one. Upon end of combat, sweeping advance failed, but he fell back 3d6, and the Assassin consolidated 6 inches in the direction of the raptors.

After that, the Raptors couldn't regroup because the Eversor was close enough to deny a morale check for regrouping, so they went off the table.

From this, Assassin's are evil as hell in combat patrol. That was more then one half of his forces and it went off the table.
DarkRonin
DarkRonin
Justicar
Justicar

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Rivan Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:06 pm

Razz Classic. Gotta love that 18" total move/assault range!
Rivan
Rivan
Adeptus Moderatus
Adeptus Moderatus

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by DarkRonin Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:26 pm

Well both me and my friend signed up for an Escalation League that a new shop in town are starting and they will be using combat patrol rules, which is pretty nice but they've upped the limit to 500 points.

Since I have yet to play in any form of competitive play outside the friendly bouts against my friend and the one person who played sisters against me. I'm curious as to what might be a good build, I have a few in mind but nothing too promising as of yet. I tried this list tonight against my friend as a test run but it didn't work out too well. Probably because we didn't have any terrain (I tried to abuse the Rhino's and LOS as best I could to get cover).

Inquisitor - MC Psycannon
2x Heavy Bolters
1x Plasma Cannon
2x Sages
1x Mystic

2x IST Squads - 8 man squads
1x Plasma gun
1x Meltagun
Rhino - EA, Smoke.

The Plasma Cannon didn't do and neither did the Psycannon nor Heavy Bolters, but this list I'd like to try again, but I'd also like to see how this other list would work out.

3x IST Squads - 2x 7 man squads, 1x 6 man squad
1x Plasma gun, 1x Meltagun per squad
2x Rhinos - EA, Smoke (7 man Squads)
1x Chimera - Multilaser, Heavy Flamer, EA, Smoke, Dozer

I feel that this one would be very mobile and with lots of punishing firepower. Or I could be a jerk and basically do the same as my first list with the naked Inquisitor with 2x Heavy Bolters and 1x Multimelta and just slap on an Eversor Assassin.

Tell me what you guys think about the lists personally. And I'll take another critical look at these lists.
DarkRonin
DarkRonin
Justicar
Justicar

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

400 Point Puritan Combat Patrol Empty 500 Point Escalation League Lists

Post by DarkRonin Sun Feb 14, 2010 6:25 pm

Well the Escalation League is going to start soon and I've finally came down to the following list. As much as I'd like to keep my normal squad size for my IST's, I can't shake the feeling that having an extra 3 shots at AP4 would be good to have, especially when their S6 and can ignore invulnerable saves (Just for those pesky Zoanthropes in the off chance someone throws on of them in a list - We're playing with Combat Patrol Rules but at 500 Points).

Anyway, here is my list:

Elites - Inquisitor - Psycannon, Auspex
3x Gun Servitors - 3x Heavy Bolters

Elites - Eversor Temple Assassin

Troops - Storm Troopers - 6 man squad
2x Plasma guns
Rhino - Extra Armor, Smoke Launchers

Troops - Storm Troopers - 6 man squad
1x Plasma gun, 1x Meltagun

This is what I'm proposing to take to the league. I know that I'd be able to field more if i didn't have the assassin, like maybe 2 sages (BS5, plus the single re-roll for a failed hit in the shooting phase for anyone in the retinue is great, especially when the psycannon is Master-crafted - I have rolled doubled 1's before with that set up). And bigger weapons for the inquisitor's retinue, but having the eversor should be great with his mad uber slaughtering skills with a spoon (maybe make an Eversor model one day to be running around with a spoon, in the Assassin Codex, an Eversor killed hundreds of people and had to resort to other instruments, one of which was a spoon).

Or I could try running this list (Thought just came up as I was reviewing my last list in this thread and typing this post up):

Elites - Inquisitor - Master-Crafted Psycannon, Auspex, Power Armor
3x Gun Servitors - 3x Heavy Bolters
2x Sages
2x Mystics

Troops - Storm Troopers - 8 man squad
2x Plasma guns

Troops - Storm Troopers - 8 Man squad
1x Plasma gun, 1x Meltagun

As it's probably noticed by now, I don't have an even number of Plasma guns or Meltaguns, I only have 3 a piece, but these are just two of the lists that I'm contemplating on bringing to the league for now until we hit 1000 Points then I shall show them the Purity and Righteousness of the Grey Knights. Also, I had an extra ten points so I bought my Inquisitor Power Armor, so thats the only reason why its there, if anyone has other thoughts for this fire base, just let me know.
DarkRonin
DarkRonin
Justicar
Justicar

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Rivan Sun Feb 14, 2010 7:35 pm

I like the list with the eversor better. I think he can make a bigger difference in the overall scheme of things.
Rivan
Rivan
Adeptus Moderatus
Adeptus Moderatus

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Aubec le noir Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:31 am

so do I
Aubec pirat
Aubec le noir
Aubec le noir
Adeptus Moderatus
Adeptus Moderatus

Number of posts : 3745
Army : 40K : GK (curious isn't it ;-) ) WHB : Dwarfs, Ogres, Mercs
Registration date : 2009-11-01

Grey knight
stats:

http://lacompagniephoenix.bb-fr.com

Back to top Go down

Post by NemesisForce Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:09 am

Agreed. If you can protect him the Eversor will always be a potential game-breaker at that points level. Thumbs up for list #1.
NemesisForce
NemesisForce
Inquisitor
Inquisitor

Number of posts : 1945
Army : Grey Knight, Black Templar, Chaos Space Marine, Tau Empire
Registration date : 2008-02-07

Back to top Go down

Post by DarkRonin Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:16 pm

Well I just finished play testing the list above, and it worked great, basically ended the game in Game Turn #1 against my friend. He had a 20 man CSM squad and my Eversor broke them and forced to off the table by his first player turn. He also forgot that the assassin was fearless and attempted to Tank Shock him with a Rhino but a nice melta bomb with double 6's resulted in him going KABLOOM and the havoc squad inside was pinned.

Basically after that, the Eversor assaulted, killed 3, lost his final wound (lost 1 to the 20 man squad). Basically, my two squads of IST's and Inquitors retinue did NOTHING at all aside from executing the last two Havocs by my Player turn 3.

My only concern though is that, I've just received an email about the official rules for the 500 Points part of the league and it says no more then 50 Points of Wargear. I sent a reply as to what the official would consider as Wargear, but as far as I'm concerned now, I only have 2 Points spent on an item that is considered as Wargear within the list.
DarkRonin
DarkRonin
Justicar
Justicar

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next