Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

1500 points Pure GK, please help.

5 posters

Go down

1500 points Pure GK, please help. Empty 1500 points Pure GK, please help.

Post by Musashi Thu Oct 15, 2009 1:20 am

Right, Grey Knights army liust that im going to try and perfect and paint and take to the first tourny when i happy with it. C+C as always (dont have list/codex here so no points)

Brother Captain
Psycannon

Used as cheap deep striker, pop down behind some armour and take a str6 pot shot at rear armour. the only "throw away unit in the army) and no i dont want a GM. the extra points you pay on a GM only really extend his combat prowess, and i dont feel that GK should be running willy nilly into combat)

Justicar
targeter
incinirator
6 PAGKs

Justicar
targeter
incinirator
6 PAGKs

Justicar
targeter
incinirator
6 PAGKs

GodHammer Landraider
Extra armour
Smoke Launchers

GodHammer Landraider
Extra armour
Smoke Launchers

GodHammer Landraider
Extra armour
Smoke Launchers

Three basic troops choices. riding in there mobile bunkers keep range. outside of the LRs they make the most of Shrouding and keep at maximum range. a tactic could be all three landraider role up on flank stopping front to tail and releasing all GKs down on one side, sheilding them from the majority of the enemy but allowing 42 storm bolter shots at one portion of the enemy, asaulting after if needed, next turn the jump back in the landraider. Extra armour and smoke launchers are there to keep the goodhammers in the game and moving (even after a smoke drop godhammers can still fire one weapon thanks to the machine spirit rule, so can still keep up a modicum of firepower. end game landraider run to objectives, maintaining there role as abaltive sheilds and protecting the delicate marines.

*edits are in bold

Last edited by Musashi on Fri Oct 16, 2009 1:30 am; edited 2 times in total

Musashi
Stormtrooper
Stormtrooper

Number of posts : 43
Army : Grey Knights, Ulthwe Eldar, Night Goblins
Registration date : 2009-10-12

Back to top Go down

1500 points Pure GK, please help. Empty Re: 1500 points Pure GK, please help.

Post by Rivan Thu Oct 15, 2009 1:50 am

First off, welcome to the forums!!!

Second, I like your thinking. Definitely a different twist than how I normally field an all GK list but I like it. Although I would still highly suggest the use of an incinerator or two.

I'm pretty sure that triggering smoke launchers will not allow you to fire any weapons, even w/ POTMS. I know the possible loophole in the FAQ because I've thought about it too. However, most clubs will probably not allow you to do it so I would check first w/ the tourney officials and get their ruling before you incorporate it in your tactics Very Happy
Rivan
Rivan
Adeptus Moderatus
Adeptus Moderatus

Number of posts : 4404
Army : Grey Knights 7th Brotherhood, Salamanders
Registration date : 2009-03-05

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Musashi Thu Oct 15, 2009 1:55 am

well as i am sure you are aware the wording of the FAQ is that i am allowed to fire "one more wepon than normally allowed". well after popping smoke i am normally allowed to fire no weapons (with simmilar wording to the crew stunned result) Machine Spirit specifically states you can fire after a crew stunned result so why not after smoke?

The list though, was thinking of droping the Psycannon bolts from the justicars in favour of Incinirators.

the problem i have is i am losing str6 and true grit but gaining a flamer template....

Musashi
Stormtrooper
Stormtrooper

Back to top Go down

Post by Rivan Thu Oct 15, 2009 2:47 am

That's exactly how I read the wording on the FAQ and I even sent an email to the GW rulesboyz to see what their answer would be (no response yet) because I also understood it the way you do. All I'm saying is you'd be better off clearing it with the tourney officials first since their word will be the final say (regardless of how you may feel about it). It is their tourney after all.

It is a bit of a trade off losing the str6 plus true grit, but an incinerator hitting possibly 3-5 more models and killing at least 2-3 would more than make up for it IMO.
Rivan
Rivan
Adeptus Moderatus
Adeptus Moderatus

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Musashi Thu Oct 15, 2009 2:54 am

Even without the extra shot from machine spirit. i still think the smoke it worth taking. never know now with the large amount of lasscannons that can be brought to bear that your Godhammers amy need a little protection whilst the GKs do their job.

Musashi
Stormtrooper
Stormtrooper

Back to top Go down

Post by Rivan Thu Oct 15, 2009 2:59 am

Too true. I run a 2 LR + 1 LRC 2000 pt list and they all have smoke and EA.
Rivan
Rivan
Adeptus Moderatus
Adeptus Moderatus

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by NemesisForce Thu Oct 15, 2009 8:22 pm

The list looks good though I cringe at your 'throw-away' B-C. I personally think he'd be much more useful as part of one of the squads. Let the 3 Godhammers do the heavy a/t work and have him engage lighter targets.
NemesisForce
NemesisForce
Inquisitor
Inquisitor

Number of posts : 1945
Army : Grey Knight, Black Templar, Chaos Space Marine, Tau Empire
Registration date : 2008-02-07

Back to top Go down

Post by Nausaden Thu Oct 15, 2009 8:55 pm

Very nice, plain list Brother Musashi! That is certainly a lot of stormbolter shots, and I can only imagine how they'll rip down squad after squad!

I agree with Bother NF about the BC; I'd imagine he could be far more useful. Also, why the psybolts? There are only so few armies that really need their invulns. Some Eldar, perhaps? Daemons of course, but they are even rarer played then we are in my experience.

I'd certainly chuck an Incinerator per Landraider, to help deal with swarms of infantry. Nice trick with the smokescreen/machine spirit, that will certainly come in handy.

Last but not least, aside from minor tweaks in the list depending on who your fighting, why not give your BC Hammerhand if you REALLY want him to take out armor? He'd need to assault, but hell, its more sure fire then psycannon shots to the back.

Again, very nice list, I'll have to keep it in mind! So many storm bolter shots....
Nausaden
Nausaden
Terminator
Terminator

Number of posts : 1085
Army : Pure Grey Knights *Daemon Hunters*
Registration date : 2009-08-03

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by MJSwasey Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:25 am

Just be careful. you loose alot of points to railguns and melta, and 18 PAGk arent that tough once outta the LRs. That and all the identical LR and troops means you get low comp scores.

Also, you fire extremely few shots per turn. your not going to be taking out any mobs at all, really.

BTW. most places rule you can never fire anything after popping smoke. The most common interpretation is that Machine spirit simply adjusts the number of shots your able to take (and lets one have a different target), but the smoke launcher rules say no matter how many you are permitted, you can't use any. as in POtMS adjusts a number, but smoke doesn't set # of shots to 0, it applies a condition (and PoTMS shots must follow normal conditions).

It is an acknowledged loophole, and you can make a case either way. Most people will give snarky looks if you try it though.

I personally think dropping the third landraider for another, bigger troops choice or terminators to retinue for your Hero would be the choice here. Don't underestimate the fear of 5-6 deepstriking termies, the inability of the enemy to kill them in one turn, their power in assualt, or the ability to get to things way in the back quickly.

If you really do hate assualt, at least a 7 man squad with psycannons to sit on objectives and fire would be nice.

MJSwasey
Justicar
Justicar

Number of posts : 927
Registration date : 2009-08-08

Grey knight
stats:

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down